Fishing Forum
Skip to Content


Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18
Spent the last few days out at Flaming Gorge, one of my favorite places on the planet!

Stayed at hideout campground, it was very gusty all weekend, except a for a few hours each morning. Kokes were found between 48-57 fow at hideout, limits were easy to get. Large healthy fish, didnt have one under 17''. Oddly didnt catch a single fish on a squid unless it had a smile blade in front of it. Another producer was flashy fish kokanee cookie and the after dinner mint. We arrived after dark and I decided to go out and graph to see where they were hanging out, lowered the after dinner mint out of curiosity to where I was graphing fish and caught kokanee at night, that was a first. Unfortunately lost it while trolling for lakers later the next day. Caught a few lakers, still havnt been introduced into the 10lb club, boat control was hard with all the wind to do much jigging, which is my go to technique. Will have to get back out soon. Rainbows at dusk were plentiful hitting about anything moving that had some gold and red on it.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [SilverSlimer] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
Nice report, one of my favorite places also.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [SilverSlimer] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
we were there this last weekend also, We wanted to get up Thursday night but had to replace the Sea Water pump on the boat and had to make a trip to SLC to get it Friday morning. So we didn't get to the lake until night on Friday, we fished with the 50+ other boats a rawlings.

Fished a couple hours Saturday morning 5-9am before the wind blew us into hiding, was able get 1 laker pup about 24" long and 5 nice keeper kokes, some smaller ones we let go along side the boat.
Sunday was a great morning, started fishing just before 7am and was done by 10am with limits.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [TRUBBS] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
We will be back up there this weekend, sounds like perfect weather is on the way with cooler temps!
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [fish_hntr] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
fish_hntr wrote:
We will be back up there this weekend, sounds like perfect weather is on the way with cooler temps!

You guys fishing the derby?
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [TRUBBS] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
TRUBBS wrote:
fish_hntr wrote:
We will be back up there this weekend, sounds like perfect weather is on the way with cooler temps!


You guys fishing the derby?

Most definitely not, but I am sure we will have to go around our share of folks who are, just hope the camo-clad clan choose to leave the booze back at camp.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [TRUBBS] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
i will be up fishing the derby ,i don't know whats up with the other posters negativity about it .
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [mtncat1] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
mtncat1 wrote:
i will be up fishing the derby ,i don't know whats up with the other posters negativity about it .

There have been incidents reported before involving members of the DU derby where the sheriff had to get involved. I personally feel that derbies in general are a bad idea, not only is it bad for the kokanee population but also tends to attract some unsavory characters.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [mtncat1] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
mtncat1 wrote:
i will be up fishing the derby ,i don't know whats up with the other posters negativity about it .

Good deal, well be fishing it to maybe we will run into each other at some point
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [fish_hntr] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
Not sure what the derby has to do with those problems, the same things go on whether there is a derby or not....
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Wyo82939] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
i agree ,weekend there is problem people on a lake that size , the DU derby is the smallest one on the gorge less than 200 teams , and they post hourly reports on fish turned in so you really don't see many fish weighed in at all.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [mtncat1] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
Geesh!
Whats with the HATERS Duck Hunters are people too!!!

Like he said it's a giant lake where any one can find there own piece of heaven :)
I do wish Flaming gorge was like Henry's lake ID once you catch your limit your DONE NO catch and release..... Kokanee just don't fair well being brought up especially on a hot day......
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [gooseguts] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
gooseguts wrote:
Geesh!
Whats with the HATERS Duck Hunters are people too!!!

Like he said it's a giant lake where any one can find there own piece of heaven :)
I do wish Flaming gorge was like Henry's lake ID once you catch your limit your DONE NO catch and release..... Kokanee just don't fair well being brought up especially on a hot day......

Yeah I wasn't sure what the "Camo-Clad" jab was for either, In my opinion hunters are good outdoorsmen & wouldn't be causing the problems but more so would be the jean short, cut off flannel crowd lol
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [fish_hntr] Flaming Gorge 6/14-6/18 In reply to
fish_hntr wrote:
TRUBBS wrote:
fish_hntr wrote:
We will be back up there this weekend, sounds like perfect weather is on the way with cooler temps!


You guys fishing the derby?

Most definitely not, but I am sure we will have to go around our share of folks who are, just hope the camo-clad clan choose to leave the booze back at camp.

You sound like one of those people that think everyone should act,and dress like you. Thankfully we live in America,where we do not have to dress and think like you do.