Fishing Forum
Skip to Content


Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing Forum : Freshwater Fishing General >

Girls catching big Brook Trout

fishing fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Girls catching big Brook Trout
Well sometimes it is worth a quick stop at a lake even if you have a few minutes. We were on our way up to Sun Peaks Resort when we swung off onto a lake that I like to fish for Brook Trout. Took the girls out for a few minutes and left Mom sleeping in the truck. Set up a Jaw Jacker for each of them. I had forgot bait so I used a Berkley Power Nymph on each on a small jig and set in ultra shallow water about two to three feet. We had two big hits, the first lost by Sierra at the hole due to a tangled mess in the weeds, but it was big too. Then Cali got a monster 19 inch brook trout as well. Then I got a wee little one on my jigging rod before it was time to go. I also lost my hockey stick scoop with the yellow plastic scoop on the lake. Hopefully someone has given it a good home. Anyways I hope you enjoy the video. My little one was so sad after she lost the fish she was crying. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyqWfK0dlK8
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Calicanuck] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
Always fun watching kids catching fish, that one your oldest caught was a nice one for sure, too bad your youngest lost hers. We caught some smaller ones at the beginning of the ice fishing season that were getting ready to spawn, could you tell if those you caught had spawned already?


BFT administrator and moderator
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [wiperhunter2] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
wiperhunter2 wrote:
Always fun watching kids catching fish, that one your oldest caught was a nice one for sure, too bad your youngest lost hers. We caught some smaller ones at the beginning of the ice fishing season that were getting ready to spawn, could you tell if those you caught had spawned already?

In British Columbia they stock genetically modified brook trout so they don't populate naturally. So these are All Female Triploid Brook Trout. They do not spawn and most do not even have eggs.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Calicanuck] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
OK, that makes sense. Another question, is that entire lake that shallow or were you fishing that shallow because that's where the fish were?


BFT administrator and moderator
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [wiperhunter2] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
wiperhunter2 wrote:
OK, that makes sense. Another question, is that entire lake that shallow or were you fishing that shallow because that's where the fish were?

No the lake gets quite deep, maybe 30 to 40 feet and has shallow edges and shoal areas. The fish feed in the shallows where the live weeds are early in the winter. So I fish where the fish are. Seems the big ones like the really skinny water.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Calicanuck] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
It's nice to see everyone catching some fish...I was wondering about the depth as well...but you cleared that up pretty well.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Calicanuck] Girls catching big Brook Trout In reply to
Calicanuck wrote:
The fish feed in the shallows where the live weeds are early in the winter. So I fish where the fish are. Seems the big ones like the really skinny water.

So this was early in the ice season when this video was made, do you think those fish are in the same shallow what later in the season or were they there at that time because the live weeds were there? I'm guessing later in the ice season those weeds are dead or at least the thicker parts of them are.


BFT administrator and moderator