Fishing Forum
Skip to Content


Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Scofield DWR Netting

FLASY FISH LURES fishing
(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Scofield DWR Netting
I know some of you don’t do the EVIL Facebook. So sharing...

“Our fisheries team visited Scofield Reservoir to do some gill netting last week. They were excited to catch both tiger muskies and wipers in their nets. These predatory fish were planted in the reservoir back in 2017 to help reduce the number of chubs. The largest wiper caught was 21.85 inches and weighed over 6 pounds! The largest tiger muskie was 30 inches and had a 10-inch chub in its stomach.”

My prediction is Scofield will become a great fishery and I'm very optimistic that folks who were negative Nancie's on the stocking of both these species will be pleasantly surprised. Guess we'll see...way better than spending hundred of thousands of dollars killing it off with rotenone every 10 years and starting over to end up with the same results meaning chub problems.

But that’s my .02


Location: Lake Katchabigun

Once you know everything about anything its what you learn afterwards that counts.

Skunked, we never get skunked its the fish getting skunked as they just kept missing our lures.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Sounds like those nasty chubs are in trouble.
I'm hoping its not going to be, like other body's of water, a lake for everything that breaths water.

Thanks for passing it on, I don't want to risk the Facebook infection.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Thank you for the info!
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Thanks for the update and your .02 worth.Smile

Here is a photo of the wiper that was netted, keep in mind it was stocked as a 7 1/2" fish in 2017. It's hard to tell that the fish has a head.Wink
image/jpeg IMG_0247.JPG (7.35 MB)
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [gofish435] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
That would be fun to tie into.

Does anyone know if there are still a pile of chubs below the dam so I can stock up on bait for the winter?
=======================================


Light travels faster than sound.

So some people seem really bright until you hear them talk.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
k2muskie wrote:
I know some of you don’t do the EVIL Facebook. So sharing...
That would be me Kim; I don't 'DO' fb. Wink


While I have never fished that water and have no plans to do so in the future, it is heartening to know that the DWR guys & gals do actually know something about fisheries management contrary to what the bucket biologists post on here. Thanks for sharing that good news about the successful (so far) introduction of those two species of predictors. Sounds like the chubs just may be in trouble up there.

Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” - Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Or, they could have poisoned it 10 years ago, restocked it with wipers and tiger musky and we would already have a great fishery instead of hoping to have one in the future...

...I don't know about you, but I do know what I would have wanted.
The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
k2muskie wrote:
I'm very optimistic that folks who were negative Nancie's on the stocking of both these species will be pleasantly surprised. Guess we'll see...way better than spending hundred of thousands of dollars killing it off with rotenone every 10 years and starting over to end up with the same results meaning chub problems.

But that’s my .02


Wait a minute...I don't recall ANYONE being against the stocking of wipers and tiger musky. In fact, I think everyone is in favor of those species. I know I was, and still am.

My concerns were simply:

A. will wipers work? Wipers had previously never been tried in a lake at elevations as high as Scofield. Only time will tell if they work. I, for one, am optimistic that they will work.

B. Time. Again, as has been pointed out numerous times: Why wait?? Why did we wait? Why are we still waiting? Why do we not have a wonderful fishery right now? We could have had the same (better?) result by simply poisoning the fishery once (fall), immediately restock with wipers and tm (late fall) and be sitting right here having the same conversation about 20+" wipers in the nets 1 year later! AND THAT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE 5 (10?) YEARS AGO!


Instead, we are still being overly optimistic about Scofield being a great fishery IN THE FUTURE. I think it will, as most of you do as well. I just wish it already was.



I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
Dr. Raymond Stantz

Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [PBH] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
So, uh, how were the trout in the gillnet study?



Hey, I'm glad that some fat wipers are showing up. Smile





I caught you a delicious bass.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
I hope the DWR - Keeps planting Wipers, Big Rainbows and anything else. But Please no more small Cuts - They just haven't gotten very big the last 5 years.

I am curious about the netting survey if they did pull up any good sized Cut Throats or Tiger Trout. They used to be real big down there.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [PBH] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Probably because poisoning it and restocking it would cost lots of money. Seems like a reasonable answer.
SELECTIVE HARVEST
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [scartinez] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
scartinez wrote:
Probably because poisoning it... would cost lots of money. Seems like a reasonable answer.

But at what cost?
How much money has the state lost by having an underutilized fishery for the last 20 years??


You have to look at both sides of the equation. Sure there is a monetary cost associated with poisoning a fishery. But there is also a monetary cost associated with a fishery that anglers avoid due to poor quality fishing. Where is the break-even point? How much has we lost because we took the 20+ year "let's take the slow approach"?

scartinez wrote:
...and restocking it...
'

It's being re-stocked whether rotenone is being used or not. In fact, the costs of stocking over the past 20 years were probably higher than the cost of using rotenone to poison. Had a poisoning occurred, the stocking costs may have, in fact, come down. If restocking is part of your argument, your books are in the red and rotenone should have been used!



I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
Dr. Raymond Stantz

Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Great news! It's almost selfish to think we could have another success story in the region the way Strawberry has been, but that's very encouraging. Thanks to everybody working on managing the resources.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [PBH] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
PBH wrote:
But there is also a monetary cost associated with a fishery that anglers avoid due to poor quality fishing.
For some reason, I can't think of a single cost associated with avoiding fishing at Scofield. Please tell me what those costs are. I'm being serious; I can't think of a single cost. Who would bear that cost?

Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” - Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [PBH] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
In discussions with the 2 different DWR managers about Scofield Reservoir, I I was very surprised at the estimated cost. A rotenone treatment on a lake with that volume of water would cost north of $1 million. I thought the first guy I talked to you was just feeding me a line, but the next guy I talked to a month later gave me a more specific number of around $1.2-1.3 million!

While it would be great to see that fishery perform now instead of later, that price tag is a little painful, and would certainly limit some of the DWR's ability to perform other stocking projects in different bodies of water.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
I grew up fishing for trout at Strawberry and Scofield. 99.8% of my fishing was done at those 2 lakes. One could always catch fish. If memory serves me correctly, both lakes were poisoned the same year, 1990. DWR had a plan for Strawberry and it has been managed ever since. Scofield was poisoned and then restocked with trout and left alone. For the next 20 years it was a great fishery! I always took my kids up there as we always caught fish (trout) and had fun. I am not interested in catching wipers, muskies, chubs or small cuts and tigers that have to be thrown back. I gave up fishing Scofield. I always hope that someday that will be a great trout fishery again.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [JandSGuns] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

dubob wrote:
PBH wrote:
But there is also a monetary cost associated with a fishery that anglers avoid due to poor quality fishing.
For some reason, I can't think of a single cost associated with avoiding fishing at Scofield. Please tell me what those costs are. I'm being serious; I can't think of a single cost. Who would bear that cost?


The cost is that we've had (pretty much still have) a Utah State Park that is a ghost town. There was a time when the saying floated around that you could walk across Scofield from boat to boat. Nobody pays to launch boats or stay in the campgrounds. They still pay to maintain it and staff it, but why? There has been a whole lot of economic opportunity for Carbon County that has been squandered. When people don't go fishing, they don't buy licenses. That's a loss for the DWR.

As JandSGuns said;
I am not interested in catching wipers, muskies, chubs or small cuts and tigers that have to be thrown back. I gave up fishing Scofield. I always hope that someday that will be a great trout fishery again.

I think there a lot of folks who feel the same way. I've talked to a lot of folks who feel the exact same way, but most of them don't jump on BFT and shout praises for perch or walleye, or bass, or muskies.



<{{{{°>


Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion."
— Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits."
— Albert Einstein
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Fishrmn] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Fishrmn wrote:
The cost is that we've had (pretty much still have) a Utah State Park that is a ghost town.

Since I have only been there once in the late 1970's, I have no first hand knowledge on that. I just got off the phone with the Scofield Park office. I asked what the occupancy rate is during the summer months there. The answer: near or at full occupancy all summer long. Based on that intel, I would have to ask what data you based your assertion that it is a 'ghost town.'

There was a time when the saying floated around that you could walk across Scofield from boat to boat. Nobody pays to launch boats or stay in the campgrounds. I didn't ask about day use (one day boat launch), but the campground stays full most of the time according to park staff information.

They still pay to maintain it and staff it, but why? If for nothing else, to keep the campers happy.

There has been a whole lot of economic opportunity for Carbon County that has been squandered. ??? What economic opportunity would that be? The ONLY town that would be impacted by Scofield Reservoir would be the town of Scofield that had a declining total, year round population of 23 according to the 2010 Census. That decline has been slowed every so slightly be a few outsiders constructing summer vacation homes in the area. Can't say that the economic impact of that, one way or the other, is meaningful in the slightest.

When people don't go fishing, they don't buy licenses. That's a loss for the DWR. I doubt seriously that the loss of fishing opportunities at one single fishing lake will have ANY measurable impact on the total number of fishing licenses sold. And we are talking about just one fishing lake - Scofield. People that fish will just fish elsewhere. They will NOT stop fishing just because a lake they fished has turned sour.

As JandSGuns said;
I am not interested in catching wipers, muskies, chubs or small cuts and tigers that have to be thrown back. I gave up fishing Scofield. I always hope that someday that will be a great trout fishery again. I have to ask - what, in your mind, constitutes a 'great trout fishery'? Is it catching a limit on every visit; is it catching fish bigger than this years planters; what is it? I can catch a limit of 15" to 18" trout in 4 hours or less in at least 6 lakes within 1 hours drive from my home in Weber County. So what am I missing?

I think there a lot of folks who feel the same way. I've talked to a lot of folks who feel the exact same way, but most of them don't jump on BFT and shout praises for perch or walleye, or bass, or muskies.



&#11000;<{{{{&#10631;°>
Sorry, but I'm still not convinced there is a measurable/significant monetary cost (loss of revenue) to the state or it's citizens associated with anglers avoiding fishing at Scofield. But I can change my mind if shown some actual data that supports the contention. Smile


Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” - Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [dubob] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
LOL, leave it up to Bob to come up with the real facts, not BS. I think a lot of folks just believe what they want to believe, damm the facts. I had a feeling what the naysayers said was not based on facts. I want to thank you so much for reaching out to the Parks folks there and separating the fact from fiction. You are the man Bob.
There are so many lakes around the Price area and the Spanish fork area, or anywhere in Utah for that matter, that I had a hard time believing what was said about people not buying license, just because one lake wasn't fishing as good as it once did. Folks that fish and like to fish would just go to another location, they would not stop buying license because of one lake.
The good news from this post is that the fish that were put in place to catch the chubs are doing their job and the trout catching will continue to improve without spending over a million dollars to accomplish that goal. So what if it takes time, it isn't like they can get a do over at this point and the DWR has learned that wipers and TM can survive at that higher elevation and do the job they were put in there to do. So what if a few folks don't want to catch a wiper or a TM, I guarantee if they latch on to one, they would say it did not give them a great fightWink.


BFT administrator and moderator

Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [dubob] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
When you differ from FIshrmn's opinion it's unfair to actually use facts!
Well done Bob.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [k2muskie] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Six or seven trips to Scofield this summer, (I have a senior pass so don't pay a fee eash time darn ) and only 5 CHUBS ..... That's depressing where do I go to get CHUBS for the berry? I have got close to 200 fish on those trips and a good amount ,close to half were in the slot. Healthy fish also. Alot of 2 pounders, some not a lot, ,4 lbs and one on the scale at 5 #. I have found where you fish and with what makes the difference between 13 or 16 plus fish. While 2 1/2 inch tubes tipped with chub, if you can find them, works every time. We made the decision to go to Scofield rather than the berry twice. Got about the same poundage in both places. Appreciate what we have and take the kids.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Dog-lover] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
Dog-lover wrote:
When you differ from FIshrmn's opinion it's unfair to actually use facts!
Well done Bob.
My most humble apologies. What was I thinking? I will endeavor to tread lightly in the future. Wink

Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” - Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [cdbrc] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
"That's depressing where do I go to get CHUBS for the berry?"

Below the dam in Lower Fish Creek. Maybe you already knew that and were making a rhetorical point.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
((°> ~ ~ }<((((°> ~~ }<(((((°> ~ ~ }<((((°> ~ ~ }<((((°>
~~~}<(((((((((°< ><=;> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ }<((((°>

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [dubob] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
What makes a good trout fishery or any fishery? Well for starters when enough people like the overall experience enough to book a stay at the fishery. If the fishing is so good at Scofield why is the State Park a ghost town? Why is the gas station/camp ground at Scofield up for sale? There are a lot of us that have fished the Hell out of Scofield in the past that have now been reduced to just checking in fishing the reservoir to see if things are improving. Maybe there isn't a large population up there but I would like to see that area thrive again. If you haven't fished there since the 70's and don't intend on fishing there... maybe you should consider stepping off your soap box.
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [dubob] Scofield DWR Netting In reply to
dubob wrote:


I doubt seriously that the loss of fishing opportunities at one single fishing lake will have ANY measurable impact on the total number of fishing licenses sold. And we are talking about just one fishing lake - Scofield. People that fish will just fish elsewhere. They will NOT stop fishing just because a lake they fished has turned sour.



I don't know of any way to verify whether your conclusion is correct or not, but I have a strong hunch that there are a lot of folks, who previously purchased fishing licenses, that have quit purchasing them because of the decline of Scofield over several years. It wasn't that long ago that Scofield was Utah's second most popular fishery. Link You or I will pick up and go fish another body of water if catching at one body of water declines, but not everyone has that same mind set.


"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."
- Zane Grey
> >