Save the Lake Pend Oreille Fishery!by: theangler
How Do I Get Involved?
Go fishing and cash in! Lake trout of any size and rainbow trout more than 13 inches long from Lake Pend Oreille count for the $15 cash reward. Rainbow trout more than 13 inches caught in Lower Clark Fork River below the railroad bridge at Clark Fork (open all year) and from Lightning Creek, Grouse Creek and Pack River between April 1 and August 31 also are eligible.
1. Only rainbow and lake trout are eligible.
2. Rainbow trout heads must be a minimum of 2 3/8 inches long from tip of nose to end of gill cover. Only whole heads with the entire jaw and throat area intact are eligible for payment.
3. Cutthroat and cutthroat hybrids are not eligible.
4. Harvesting bull trout or kokanee is illegal, and will be investigated by a conservation officer. Know how to properly identify fish.
5. Your signature is required. We cannot pay anglers if slips are not signed.
How To Check Your Fish In
1. Please clean your fish on the lake not on the dock or the freezer!
2. Leave the head of the rainbow or lake trout in the drop-off freezer, not the whole fish. You may put multiple fish heads in one bag.
3. Ziploc bags, water-proof slips and pencils are provided at freezer locations.
4. Fill out your name, mailing address, phone number, Idaho fishing license number and date of birth on one slip for each bag. You must sign the data slip to be eligible for the cash reward.
5. Put the bag through the small hatch door in the freezer and close the door.
6. A headless carcass is legal, so long as the tail is attached, by a special exemption from the Fish and Game Commission. Normally it is not legal to have a trout, bass, salmon or steelhead (any fish with a length limit) in the field or in transit without the head attached.
Fish Head Freezer Locations
* Holiday Shores Marina - Ellisport Bay
* Hope Marine Services - Ellisport Bay
* Anchor Gas - Garfield Bay
* Hudson's Bay Marina - Bayview
* IDFG Field Research Station - Bayview
* IDFG Regional Office - Coeur d'Alene
Checks will be mailed to anglers twice a month. Be sure to fill out the angler information slip properly.
Spaghetti Tagged Fish
Some rainbow trout have been tagged behind the dorsal fin with green spaghetti tags worth $100 when turned in to IDFG. We are no longer paying for any spaghetti tags from lake trout. Anglers should mail the spaghetti tag and information about the fish species, length, weight and date the fish was caught to:
* Andy Dux
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
P.O. Box 806
Bayview, ID 83803
Added: Wed May 06 2009
Last Modified: Fri May 15 2009