how to add oars to a float tube?

fishing
(Page 2 of 5)
> > > >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Alan_Ang] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Alan_Ang wrote:
check these out!

Who makes those?! Way cool. Not sure there's enough room on my FishCat, but I'd love to check out a set up close.

_SHig
Re: [SHigSpeed] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
zephyrboat makes them.
http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html
Re: [flygoddess] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
flygoddess wrote:
Right on Alan, keep up the good fight.
a new society is being set up at the moment to promote conservation and rehabilitation of the environment plundered by fishing.
it is now also communicating with government authorities to open up more waters for study and subsequently opening it up for fishing (with conservation education included)
the society will also be the body to craft out a license and education program to allow more fishing.
i have not made up my mind yet about which tube to get but once i do, it will be put to good use in testing the waters opened up to the society for testing/study/rehab/conservation purpose.
really hope it takes off soon.
Alan_Ang wrote:
check these out!

That really makes sense. I would be really surprised if no one did cap on this idea.
This would be awesome on the H3!!!!

I have to ask, do you have something to do with this Alan? Seems you had all the great answers to your own question.
Don't get me wrong, I like all the new info you have added here, but you were like two steps ahead of us all the wayWink

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Jul 15, 2009, 11:22 AM)
flygoddess wrote:
That really makes sense. I would be really surprised if no one did cap on this idea.
This would be awesome on the H3!!!!

I have to ask, do you have something to do with this Alan? Seems you had all the great answers to your own question.
Don't get me wrong, I like all the new info you have added here, but you were like two steps ahead of us all the wayWink
it does seem that way, doesn't it... lol...
nah... i have nothing to do with them. in fact, if not for TD who found the link to Zephyrboat website, i wouldn't have been able to find the answers.

oh yah... and lastly, i sure hope i have something to do with it... then i wouldn't have to still be putting on the thinking cap to think which tube to buy... sigh...
(This post was edited by Alan_Ang on Jul 15, 2009, 3:57 PM)
I feel a little rain falling on someone's picnic with this ..... but:

Don't forget that a float's advantage is compactness, portability, simplicity and hands free manoeuvering where both hands are available for holding the fishing rod.

Without the "hands free element, either a kayak or a pontoon becomes a more efficient small water fishing craft. Both have superior water speed and range than a float tube, but the need to put the rod in a rest reduces their fishing value significantly.

Oars on a tube:
add weight
add bulk when put away
necessitate "rod out of hands" fishing style which is a far less efficient way to fish

So yes they are an intriguing idea. But the same reason for choosing a tube with oars also tilts the balance for choice of a pontoon/sit-on-top kayak at time of purchase in preference to the tube.

Norm

Re: [IrishFloatTube] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
IrishFloatTube wrote:
I feel a little rain falling on someone's picnic with this ..... but:

Don't forget that a float's advantage is compactness, portability, simplicity and hands free manoeuvering where both hands are available for holding the fishing rod.

Without the "hands free element, either a kayak or a pontoon becomes a more efficient small water fishing craft. Both have superior water speed and range than a float tube, but the need to put the rod in a rest reduces their fishing value significantly.

Oars on a tube:
add weight
add bulk when put away
necessitate "rod out of hands" fishing style which is a far less efficient way to fish

So yes they are an intriguing idea. But the same reason for choosing a tube with oars also tilts the balance for choice of a pontoon/sit-on-top kayak at time of purchase in preference to the tube.
i beg to differ... if you look closer, you will realise that the oars can be clipped to the side without hindering any freedom of your hands or cause resistance of the craft in the water. oh yah... they still put on flippers in these babies...
i do agree though that it will add some weight and also take away some space. but for someone who wants to cover more water, i believe the pros outweighs the cons.

what i am saying is: it really depends on your objectives and needs.

for me, it is very suitable since, my needs are to cover as much grounds as possible in an area which i need much better portability than carrying a pontoon. this stuff suits me just fine.

that being said, it may or may not be suitable for other tubers. so yah... all tubers gotta look at how it suits his own requirements.

cheers!
(This post was edited by Alan_Ang on Jul 16, 2009, 1:31 AM)
Could not agree with you more Alan. That is why when the pontoon that i have now wears out i am gonna have one heck of a time trying to figure out if i want a new Outlaw X5 or a Hobie Mirage Pro Angler kayak. Its gonna be a tuff one to decide. There are pros and cons to both. I got a while yet to think about it lol so im not to concerned lol.

Your Pennsylvania Forum Moderator :)

Got water?? FISH IT!!!!

For Great 100% Hand Made Tackle Please Visit:
www.scaredfishless.com
Re: [bigpikeguy] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
From what I understand...the Hobie only goes forward. Could be wrong
Plus the X5, you can stand comfortably, and it folds down...even has a carrying bag.

I agree that the slight WEIGHT difference on the Oar as the un Oar is minor.
They are both still compact. Would both be hard to back pack in to high mountain lakes at all.
Having the oars to get off water FAST is a HUGE plus, specially when that storm that raises the hair on your arms moves in.

Hands free...still there and always will be. There is a trolling advantage while rowing.
One doesn't row all the time. It is just a way to get from point A to point B in a hurry or when legs get too tired.

I see pluses all the way!

It is really a float tube that as a bonus contains some of the attributes of a pontoon.
Somebody used the term "PONTUBE" in the past, and that is exactly what this craft is.
I agree that the oars as an auxiliary are interesting, and in a breeze that would challenge normal fin power they will be useful. Also for covering a long distance to the fishing area, the oars are a good option.

Something tells me that we will probably see more manufacturers producing these hybrid craft in the future, which are more portable than the average metal frame pontoon, and presumeably faster than the average float tube..

How would flygoddess compare this craft to the echo for example?

The closest competitor product, speaking performance-wise, to these is probably an inflatable kayak.

Norm

The Echo is not set up for rowing, but with this set up and a strap across the front for your feet, it would rock!
Your butt is in the water a little with the Echo also so I am not sure if the point of a V tube is an advantage to the two pontoons with some seat in the middle.
I do know from owning both, the Echo does fly.

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Jul 16, 2009, 1:07 PM)
IrishFloatTube wrote:
It is really a float tube that as a bonus contains some of the attributes of a pontoon.
Somebody used the term "PONTUBE" in the past, and that is exactly what this craft is.
I agree that the oars as an auxiliary are interesting, and in a breeze that would challenge normal fin power they will be useful. Also for covering a long distance to the fishing area, the oars are a good option.

My technique when using oars must suck. I just cant seem to get the speed or distance everyone refers to. Even in my pontoons that are built for speed, it is slow going and inefficient for me. I can go 100 yards in perfect conditions but then the blisters start and it feels like pushing a rock uphill compared to what I can do with long oars in a heavy rowboat! The points of my pontoon zig zag or dip down catching water and slowing me as my weight shifts around during the rowing motion. Any part that hangs down in the water (butt, feet, fins, fish basket, PVC parts, etc.) feels like a parachute when I try to row fast (1mph+) or far (1 mile+). Probably I'm just used to going further and faster with less effort in a kayak or canoe.... Guess its time to practice getting a good rhythm down to see what this potential for oars is....

Hey, another good thing about oars is- they can be used for slapping snakes or gators Smile

Just saying, FWIW.

Pon.

Something tells me that we will probably see more manufacturers producing these hybrid craft in the future, which are more portable than the average metal frame pontoon, and presumeably faster than the average float tube..

How would flygoddess compare this craft to the echo for example?

The closest competitor product, speaking performance-wise, to these is probably an inflatable kayak.
Re: [pontoonman] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
HUH?

Okay, I don't know if this works or not, but a small video of me casually rowing. This is in the Navigator. The BIG "V" pontube.
Center of the tube (my seat) I am sure is hitting the water on the row, but no effect.

http://s44.photobucket.com/...=1&os=1&ap=1

let me know if this works.

It worked.Fishin'

Albinotrout
Fishing and trains...what else is there? BASEBALL.......
you can realy move fast. I maybe ready for toon sooner
then I think.....................

Peter
Re: [pontoonman] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
pontoonman wrote:

My technique when using oars must suck. I just cant seem to get the speed or distance everyone refers to. Even in my pontoons that are built for speed, it is slow going and inefficient for me. I can go 100 yards in perfect conditions but then the blisters start and it feels like pushing a rock uphill compared to what I can do with long oars in a heavy rowboat! The points of my pontoon zig zag or dip down catching water and slowing me as my weight shifts around during the rowing motion. Any part that hangs down in the water (butt, feet, fins, fish basket, PVC parts, etc.) feels like a parachute when I try to row fast (1mph+) or far (1 mile+). Probably I'm just used to going further and faster with less effort in a kayak or canoe.... Guess its time to practice getting a good rhythm down to see what this potential for oars is....

Hey, another good thing about oars is- they can be used for slapping snakes or gators Smile

Just saying, FWIW.

Pon.

Pontoon man. Exactly what kickboat's do you have? You won't show any pictures, you claim to have tiny motors that run on cordless power drill batteries, yet you have problems rowing? You have a kickboat made for speed? All this just doesn't make sense. You give some decent advise now and again, but I just don't get you. My Outlaw X5, same as FG's. With my GPS that I carry onboard, I can row 4 mph without breaking a sweat. I thought the Cardiac Canyons were fast. When I casually row, I average 2.2 mph. It goes in a straight line. It's 10' long, 5' 6" wide and has 15 Ĺ" diameter toons. The footprint isn't all that big though. This thing just flat out flies. I'll have FG make a vid of it and you'll see. I don't row to see how fast I can go, I did it once to see the results. Rowing this boat is just a fun thing. I can't really explain it.
this is really a great community you guys have here... people here are all so receptive to ideas and open to discussions.
i am so surprised by the amount of discussion my little 'venture' into this topic had resulted.
my boss (a japanese) recently learned of my contemplation of getting a tube from japan and has volunteered to help me bring one over to singapore when he goes back to his country for holidays.
now... he is really tempting me big time on the zephyrboat!!!
Sounds like you may have a good thing starting there.

Albinotrout
Re: [albinotrout] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
albinotrout wrote:
i am not so sure since the thing ain't come cheap! thinking thinking thinking... tempted tempted tempted... arrrrggghhh...
Cool

Albinotrout
Alan_Ang wrote:
albinotrout wrote:
i am not so sure since the thing ain't come cheap! thinking thinking thinking... tempted tempted tempted... arrrrggghhh...

Sometimes you just have to DO IT!!!!!!!!!
money is not everything and we (YOU) live just once
so get out there and enjoy and have a good time.
Or I will come to you kick your little a$$ for not doint it.Smile

Just me 2c

Peter
Re: [peter805] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
peter805 wrote:
Sometimes you just have to DO IT!!!!!!!!!
money is not everything and we (YOU) live just once
so get out there and enjoy and have a good time.
Or I will come to you kick your little a$$ for not doint it.Smile

Just me 2c

Peter
wow! such a big reaction! hahaha... i am most probably gunning for it. my boss is not going till end of the month and only back after 2 weeks of holidays there. so i still have a bit of time to make my decision on what model to get and also to save up some money first... haha...
Hey thanks for posting that outstanding clip! I might be able to go a little faster than that in a rowboat, canoe or kayak for maybe a couple of miles. I do not think I could do that speed or go for more than 50 yards at full speed in a float tube or the zephyr, 100 yards in my 5'+ Discovery or 6' bucks pontoons which are about 15" to 12" diameter at their biggest point. Maybe I could match your speed and continue for half a mile at top speed in that Navigator- which I have said before has a great design. Look at your navigator oars and rowing position. You can really put some power behind that as Mojor will hopefully demonstrate in a future clip. My pontoons sit much lower in the water and oars and footbar are flimsy aluminum in comparison-which aren't meant to take that kind of power- but only to manuever. Sorry to report that aliens took my warp drive and the pictures of my rig last time I was out, but I stand behind what I write, not a what others write for me. Thanks again for you guys' generosity and contributions to this list. I continue to learn a lot. Maybe your assertion that "more is more" does apply in the case of rowing....

Cheers.

Pon

flygoddess wrote:
HUH?

Okay, I don't know if this works or not, but a small video of me casually rowing. This is in the Navigator. The BIG "V" pontube.
Center of the tube (my seat) I am sure is hitting the water on the row, but no effect.

http://s44.photobucket.com/...=1&os=1&ap=1

let me know if this works.
Good man. Before I got my tube I was "thinking'' about
it for a long time. After I got it , I could not believe that
I did not get it long time ago.
Once you have it , I think it will make you happy.

Peter
image/jpeg tubing 018.jpg (918 KB)
Yes the hobie does only go forward but with the new rudder it can damn near do a 360. On top of the you will always have a paddle straped to the side of the boat. The new hobie pro angler you can stand comfortably in it also. It is a very wide boat, actually i don't think they even classify it as a kayak cause of its width i dunno.

Up here in PA we don't really have any lakes that you need to backpack into, so that would not be an issue with me. As for transport i just just throw it on my roof, i never have anything up there anyway, why not use it lol.

Over all im still torn between the 2 of them. When it comes time i wish i could take both of them for a ride to see what i like better. No one around here has a an X5 and there is no dealers. There is a hobie dealer not far from me and i know they have demos so i know that wont be a problem.

Your Pennsylvania Forum Moderator :)

Got water?? FISH IT!!!!

For Great 100% Hand Made Tackle Please Visit:
www.scaredfishless.com
> > > >