Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Float Tube Fishing : Float Tubing General >

how to add oars to a float tube?

fishing
(Page 4 of 5)
> > > >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [WeeFolk] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Cool, but I same questions as Cpierce. Also, most oar locks tilt out slightly...would this help on yours.
The problem I have on my Escape is the oar clipping the side bags. I will fix that by adding 2 more rings and sliding the bags back.

Re: [Alan_Ang] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
WOW, just when I thought I had seen it all. Those strap on oars are sick. Bck in the day when our club started and way before anyone had a pntoon boat we where all in round tubes. It was always a race at some of the lakes we have tournaments at and I'll never forget the first time we blasted off and Jimmy Reese pulled out a set of ping pong paddles. He flew across the lake copared to us with just fins. The next event we all had ping pong paddles and some even modified them and added a larger paddle surface. But those strap on oars just blew me away when I saw that picture. Thanks for posting it.
Rich
Re: [cpierce] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Yes and no, the first couple of outings was with just the straps, and worked fine, I found myself useing it to pick up and carry the tube. I added, velcro cable ties to the D rings, at the back storage pouches, to hold it in place and allow me to pick up the whole thing including oars.
No strap for my feet, I use them like rudders and for power.
I used it almost all of last season, not sure of how many outings.
Re: [flygoddess] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I haven't had any problems hitting the tubes or bags with the oars. I want make the oars longer to get more power.
You could tilt the risers out if you wanted, but I wanted it to be as compact as I could get it.
Re: [WeeFolk] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Welcome to the forum, and very nicely done. Cool

Albinotrout
Fishing and trains...what else is there? BASEBALL.......
Re: [Alan_Ang] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Hello there Alan - or anyone else out there! I appreciate this is an old post but wondered if you were able to help me. I live on the Isle of Skye, Scotland and got into float tubing last year. I have some severe left knee issues, which makes paddling for any period of time a real struggle so have been looking for an oar system to help out a bit.
I've downloaded the frame system that one of the other contributors posted but really liked the idea of these oar attachments from Zephyr. My question really is - 'has anyone actually managed to buy a pair of these yet?' I've been on their website but, as I don't speak Japanese, could't really make head or tail of it. I did send a message but may well have been doing anything really - I have no idea if they got it and haven't had a reply.
Float tubing for me is a revelation as it's so much easier than hobbling across bog and rough terrain. In essence, it's a lifeline for me and my fishing.
I'd be really interested in anyone's comments and experiences. Thanks so much for your help.
Richard - Skyepiker.
Re: [Skyepiker] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Welcome to BFT. Here are some brainstorming ideas ....

Have you considered using a kayak paddle? Or even a sit on top kayak instead of a float tube?

You might also try using metal electrical conduit to fashion an oar frame. I think it would be good to add some kind of strap for your feet. A local fabrication shop might be able to make you something.

Many of us have put small electric motors and 12v batteries on our tubes. You can search for that on this forum.

It would be expensive to ship, but you could buy a tube that is already made for oars, such as the North Fork Outdoors Escape or their new ultra light version that is coming out soon. I think it is called a Predator.
Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated.
The item I was looking at is towards the bottom of the 2nd page of this thread - I've tried to attach the photo but keep getting bounced. I like the iea of its simplicity and lack of weight - the frame and motor ideas are great but I need to keep wieght to a minimum. The canoe paddle is probably the next best thing but I reckon is going to be a bit cumbersome and may well get in the way a bit. With funds being as they are, I'd really like to stick with the tube I've already got too, rather than having to spend on a complete new system.
I am still not sure which you mean. The system that is shown on post #21?, or #32?, or #49?

What kind of float tube do you have? Any pictures? How much room is there on the front of the tubes?

What I was meaning by an frame of conduit.... Is conduit put together in a small square with a cross piece in the center that you could t out to be an oar lock. You could also mildly bend the conduit to curve a little, so it sits better on the tube. Straps would hold it on. About what is in post #21 on page 1, but done with pipe. You could make a mockup out of pvc first, but because of forces I would do the final in metal.
And this from post #21 should be easy to fabricate up.

Sorry, it was on page 1 - post 21. Living where I live, the potential to get items fabricated is quite dificult - not being lazy, really! The item made by Zephyr was such a simple piece of kit (as in post 21) I was hoping you'd all managed to buy them! My tube is a 'Vision, Keeper'. Great little tube, really lightweight but incredibly comfortable. I reckon there would easily be enough room for an oar system.
Nice tube.

You should have room, but I don't know anywhere you can buy one.

If I was fabricating it at home, I would use a bottom plate of either aluminum or thick plastic. (A section or two of a 5 gal bucket might work.)

From the underside use pan head screws or carriage bolts with washers to affix two blocks of oak or thick nylon on the top. Coat or cover the screw heads to cut down on wear or abrasion to your tube. Some good epoxy might also be beneficial.

Counter-sink holes in the blocks to hold a small piece of pipe across between the blocks. That way the oar lock can adjust to the angle you need. If you want you could just mount it solid at a set angle. (Look at the picture I put in the last post.)

Drill through the center of the pipe (90degrees) and using nuts mount a piece of threaded rod on it.

The threaded rod can then go through the handle of your oars and be capped with a nut. Another nut and washer would probably be needed under the oar.

I would also probably use some plastic tubing to take up any slack or wear if needed.

Some people have even used ping pong paddles as small hand oars when their legs got tired or hurting.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted on your adventure.
Think I may have sorted it! I've just been on Ebay and actually bought the oar locks and pads for a dinghy (Plastic pad with the cotton reel type fixing and a threaded spike sticking up for the oars) and 4 fabric, heavy duty tie down straps. I reckon if I cut slots in the plastic pad (I just hope there's enough room - fingers crossed!) I can attach via the straps - 2 per oar.
I'll send you a photo once it's done.
Total cost, about £35.00 including delivery. (About $50?)
Happy days - thanks for the help though, it gave me the prod to get something sorted. Much obliged.
Richard.
I was going to suggest "Glue On Oar Locks"

http://www.boatstogo.com/oar-locks.asp

Same ones used on inflatables these days. Use Locktite to glue them on. BUT, you will need some sort of foot brace. Or you will find it not very effective and you will be adjusting your seating a lot.
This can be done with a Nylon strap or something similar, but you really need this. Being able to get your feet/legs out of the water even better.

Also, you need some fabrication to the oars for this type of oar lock

Good deal!! Is it something like this?

Great minds think alike eh?
I use a nylon strap for my sonar. I tighten it with toon soft then inflate toon so there is a dent where the strap is, but when it is wet, it can stretch a little and it slides. That is a sonar, not an oar which has a lot of torque, so consider that.

By the way, what happened to Turnkey and WeeFolk. How are their inventions holding up?

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Feb 27, 2013, 11:39 AM)
That's exactly it! I reckon I can turn it into something almost exactly like the Zephyr item on post 21.
I'm hoping it will stay put but I take the point about the extra torque making it slip. May try sticking some rubber sheet to the underside of the plate first (I've got some 3mm thick insulating matting that should do the trick).
Thanks for all your comments on this issue - I'll definitely attach a photo once it's done.

Strange but I sent a query to the Secretary of the British Float Tube Association some time ago about exactly the same thing - I've still not even had a reply... So thank you for your help!Smile
LOL

I was wondering on how the DIY ones did too.

Skyepiker, I should think it would work for you. A pad under might really help. Maybe even another strap that goes to a d-ring, so that it can only move around the tube so far.
What type of Locktite, there are numerous types, Thanks for any help!
Re: [BFVSFOREVER] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I use this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/...CKZC/ref=pd_sim_sg_2
But Ron who has posted on here in the past, has the same boat and informed me that Dave recommended Loctite, so that is what Ron used. I am assuming it was this one
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/...lexible-Adhesive.htm

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Mar 3, 2013, 12:09 PM)
FG, I was reading the directions for the oar locks sold at that website and the stuff you use is what they recommend so that is what I will use. Saving my pennies for my oar upgrade, LOL Thanks for the help.
Re: [BFVSFOREVER] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I am on my third year with my glue ons so...good choiceSmile But the glue is only good for one year, so good idea to get all the items you want to glue on and do it all at the same time.

Anybody try using a floating 2 blade kayak paddle? These would keep you from getting wet from drip ins....

http://www.amazon.com/...Guards/dp/B0028Q5G2Q

That would be a lot simpler, but maybe get too much zig-zag?

Pon
The loctite glue I used is vinyl, fabric&plastic flexible adhesive. had it on about 1 year so far holding good.I got it at Home depot,
Re: [pontoonman] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Hello there. The bits and pieces arrived last week to convert my tube (dinghy oarlocks and tie-down straps) and Sunday, I set about putting everything together.
A mate of mine suggested gluing but I couldn't find the correct type of glue for the tube material - anyway, the space is a bit restricted to get a really good adhesion.
I actually had to unpick the stitching and remove velcro fasteners on each side but, as I'd never used them anyway, it wasn't a big deal.
I melted two slots in each side of the oarlocks so that the straps could be threaded through. This then passed around the tube while about 85% inflated and secured. I then inflated the final 15% and the grip is incredible - under hard rowing they could slip I suppose but I'm not intending to go out for speed rowing!
I did cut two pieces of dense rubber matting to fit underneath each oar lack to add a little grip and, ideally, there should be something more rigid glued to the bottom of each one as the PVC the locks are made of, is quite soft and tends to deflect. It's really just cosmetic though.
I'll post pictures the first time I use the new system!
> > > >