Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Float Tube Fishing : Float Tubing General >

how to add oars to a float tube?

fishing
(Page 3 of 5)
> > > >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [bigpikeguy] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Cool. And don't get me wrong, they are neat boats. I fly fish and can't imagine a need to ever go forward, that is all.
I can see baitcasters needing it.

Re: [flygoddess] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
flygoddess wrote:
Cool. And don't get me wrong, they are neat boats. I fly fish and can't imagine a need to ever go forward, that is all.
I can see baitcasters needing it.

Forward ??? who needs that ?

Peter
Re: [peter805] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
see, Peter gets meLaughFish On

I agree that for "fly fishing the water" moving bach and casting side or back is very effective.

But if you are planning on stalking visible trout which are cruising and picking midge pupae off the surface film, or stalking sedge feeding trout after dark ... then moving forwards and casting ahead is what is best.

Norm

Re: [TubeDude] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I'm new to the forum but have been poking around for a method to attatch oars to my FC4. I BELIEVE I can take the top 4 inches or so from a 5 gallon pail (this is slightly smaller than the tube on the FC4) and shove it over the end of the tube then air it up. I've tried it with a whole pail and it sure gets tight, no slip what so ever. Then I intend to glue black ABS plumbing pipe to the pail side at a 45% outward lean. This will raise and widen the pivot point of the oars. This will provide clearance over the side bags and increase leaverage to the oars. I've even found a threaded end cap that I beleive I can glue to the pail and will allow the pipes to be unscrewed. The only problem I'm having is designing the oar locks. What I'll probably use is an eye bolt big enough to slip the oar shaft through and bolt it loosley to the end of the ABS extensions.

Any thoughts?
Re: [Turnkey] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Is glue going to be strong enough? There will be allot of torque on those extensions.

As far as oar holders, you might want a clamp because the oars will twist while rowing, But you are right in something loose in the extension for pivot.

http://www.grainger.com/...ems/1RVC5?Pid=search

But the oars need to move up and down plus side to side so some kind of swivel

http://www.ecplaza.net/.../6304141/swivel.html

And Welcome Turnkey!

The ABS part I intend to glue to the pail will be a threaded 3" end cap. If I grind off the tightening nut part of it and grind a trough accross the whole top that is the same cross section of the outside of the pail ( I eyeballed it and it should work) I will have about a 3" diameter solid connection to the pail. The pail is definately strong enough and I can also glue PLUS mechanically fasten the end cap to the pail with 4 small carriage head bolts, heads against the tube-should be smooth enough. The end result should be a very strongly mounted 3" diameter threaded plastic stud protruding from the pail around the tube. I then would thread on an ABS extension about 6" long.
I'm gonna do this once I get a couple of pails. Costs not including pails and the oar locks will be less than $10

It's a thought
Absolutely and cool idea. I am excited to see this one play out as I just got another H3 and I want to oar it. I agree with the carriage bolts... that is a good idea and the tube will just mold around them when inflated.

Stay in touch on this one!

I agree with FG, this will be interesting to see when completed.

Albinotrout
Fishing and trains...what else is there? BASEBALL.......
Re: [albinotrout] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Sorry for the size of the pics, tubing ain't the only new thing to meBlush. Two of the pics are what I did this evening, the pipe socket is bolted but not yet screwed to the pail top. Attatchment to the tube tip is very strong but the torque will be too much, the pail flexes more than I thought....BUT! I'm gonna place a T right at the pail connector and run a horizontal pipe back beside the bag and attatch it to the D loops. The pressure will be downwards towards the tube so not a lot of strength will be needed there but the torque will be distributed back along te length of the tube. This won't be as slick as I wanted but the horizontal tube wil be an excellent mounting place for a rod holder etc.

The third pic is me fishing the tail end of October at around 25 degrees. I live in Saskatchewan..at least there were no mosquitoes!!!

CoolGood concept. Pictures look like it MIGHT work. The real test (always) is how does it perform on the water. An FC4 is not as big and heavy as a pontoon, but the mounts you have would not handle too much weight...I don't believe.

However, it is obvious that you have put some thought into it and like the others I am anxious to hear how it works. But, if the first attempt is not stellar, keep working on it. There's gotta be a way. Right?
I've been thinking recently about this idea again. I like the mounting idea with the "squeeze" mount, but it would definitely work better with a Fat Cat with the extra snout room.

I also have been pondering using Scotty float tube rod mount socketed saddles for oarlocks. I only have one though and would rather not buy a second...

Please keep the pics coming as you continue to develop this!

_SHig
 I see problems with trying to put oars on a tube.
First of all, you have quite a bit of drag with a tube. It doesn't glide like a kickboat does.
Next, where are your feet going to be when you start to row? In a kickboat you have the foot pegs to place your feet. With your feet on the pegs, it helps in keeping your body where it belongs. In a float tube, you'll be hanging your legs in the water causing more drag. (Going back to the first problem)
How long are the oars going to be. In order to be more efficient, they have to be the right length.
I would also think that correct placement of the "oarlocks" in relation to where the angler is seated is a big consideration.
I think there are certain reasons that manufacturers haven't put oars or even made strap- on oar assemblies for tubes already. I would think it's been thought of many times buy just about every tube manufacturer out there and just isn't feasible or cost effective.
But if you can make it fly, go for it and good luck.
As for the Zephyr tube, China only? How big is it and is there U. S. dealers?
(This post was edited by mojorizing on Nov 14, 2009, 10:55 PM)
Re: [mojorizing] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Well ......Mojorizing.... you nay sayer!Tongue I got's it done!!! Oars on a FC4 (Deluxe no less) Only had it in the tub so far so I don't know how well it's going to paddle but my carpet trials seem just fine.....way better than my bum knee was doing. Check out the pics...(figured out how to smallify them since my last post)
To get my feets out of the way, and lessen drag, I can prop my legs up on the tips of the tube. The rowing position seems to be relatively ergonomic. The only issue I can see for comfort is the ribs on the pail ends are a little sharp on the back of my thighs but I figure I can tri them off withou sacrificing too much structural integrety. It's still 36 inches of ice time here in Saskatchewan but I hope to get it wet in April.
Taking into account material and my time at $5/hour I am willing to build a set of these wonderful oar locks for the paltry sum of $1000 per.......or contact me for more info and pics for free.

More pics...damn computers.Crazy
image/jpeg oars 2.jpg (76.3 KB)
image/jpeg oars 3.jpg (42.3 KB)
image/jpeg oars 4.jpg (47.3 KB)
image/jpeg oars 5.jpg (42.3 KB)
image/jpeg oars 6.jpg (69.8 KB)
image/jpeg oars 7.jpg (50.5 KB)
image/jpeg oars 8.jpg (54.9 KB)
image/jpeg oars 9.jpg (53.9 KB)
image/jpeg oars 10.jpg (60.9 KB)
image/jpeg oars 11.jpg (64.8 KB)
image/jpeg oars 12.jpg (45.3 KB)
image/jpeg oars 13.jpg (34.8 KB)
Pic #3 is the best full view....once again sorry for the oor computer skills. I'm a putterer not a propeller head.
Randall
All I gotta say is WOW!!!!

Albinotrout
Fishing and trains...what else is there? BASEBALL.......
I don't know that I would have shared that much with everyone. Cool
Get some water time on this and patten it.

I want to hear all about the tubing season with this.

Still thinking, putting your legs up is not enough. If the weather is bad, you need to hunker down with the rowing. You will need something to support your feet or you will side out of the chair.
This from someone has has tried it....I didn't slide completely out but then I did have a bar for my feet after pushing my self back three times.

For your legs you might try a strap of some sort. Just something to make you and the tube one, so you have something to push against as you row.

Great innovating! Something you might also consider to save your knee is a "tube tug" --- Small trolling motor in a separate tube to tow you where you want to go. Might give you more distance yet.

Good luck!
Re: [cpierce] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I am thinking it will require a Bar. You kind of have to experience what is required. I got a good taste with my Navigator.

But where there is a will, there is a way.

Well the ice finally melted off some of the golf course ponds in town and I got a chance to try my oar locks. The joys of living in Saskatchewan include ice for 6 months a year.

THEY WORKED GREAT! I had some problems because I couldn't raise one oar very well ( I had made the pivot point eyebolt/oarlock too tight) but overall I was very impressed. It was very windy when I tried this probably 25 mph but I was able to row into the wind at least twice as fast as I ever was able to kick the tube. There was no problem of feeling like I was falling off I don't think I'll need anything to stay on the tube. I'll get the oarlock fixed and post some more pics...but not for a few weeks. Me the missus and our two cats are heading down to Bryce this weekend for a vacation.
Right on! Yeah Oars on a tube ROCK!
Pictures of Bryce pleaseWink

Re: [Alan_Ang] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
I built a rig for my Super Fat Cat, got tired of fighting the wind, with my short legs, it works great.
Materials & info
1 Schedule 40 PVC Pipe {10}
( 2 + or - )
2 - Ts
2 Caps
2 (or 4) 90 degree Elbows ( I used 4 )

I cut the pipe into 2 -3, and 10 1 and glued them to the Ts and Elbows.
You should end up with about of pipe sticking out of the fittings, this is the joiner for the 1 .
NOTE 1: the 3 piece is for the tie down strap, you may want to make it longer, depending on width you use.

NOTE 2: you will need to enlarge the inside diameter of the 1 to allow the 3*4 pipe to slide in. I used a rotary rasp in my drill, but you can also heat the ends with a heat gun and the force in a piece of the pipe.

Cut the 1 pieces to length ( I made each piece a little long, dry assembled , set on tube until I was satisfied ) and then glued it up.

The oar lock riser is just a little taller than the pockets on the tube. I used PVC sign board, cut out 4 plugs with 1 hole saw (inside diameter slightly over 1 ) glued 2 toghether a sanded down to fit inside 1, glued and let dry, then enlarged hole to fit oar lock. The same thing could be done with hard wood ( I think I would use Epoxy ), or a 1 hard wood dowel and drilled in center and held in with a screw..

Straps I used a strap (because I had them and they were the right lenth, with buckles and all). I used a single chain link shoved into a piece of plastic tubing, with a slot cut in it, to shove the strap through forming an eye, which goes around the pipe, as you tighten up on the strap, it also tightens up on the pipe and tube, seems to work pretty well. The tubing helps hold the eye in place and serves as a cushion between the chain and tube. There are other things that would work, but again I had these laying around from another project.

Oars Coleman Boat Oars 3 piece 45 Length, These OARS are a little short, but work, I may extend the lengtht

NOTE 3: If you decide to be able to break it down, use a heat gun, on the 1 PVC, and insert at least 2 or longer into 1 pipe, DO NOT GLUE this joint. Drill and pin..
image/jpeg Frame.jpg (75.6 KB)
image/jpeg O-F riser.jpg (68.7 KB)
image/jpeg drawing.jpg (64.0 KB)
Re: [WeeFolk] how to add oars to a float tube? In reply to
Nice, clean, and simple design. It looks great. Is it only attached with the strap in the front?

Have you had a chance to test it out much? Does rowing lift you out of the seat? Do you have any kind of a foot strap?
> > > >