Fishing Forum > Float Tube Fishing : Float Tubing General >

Need New Powered 'Toon

fishing
(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [atvaholic] Need New Powered 'Toon In reply to
atvaholic wrote:
Yeah, Im liking the assault a little bit more. Seeing the motors on both ends, thats interesting. A gas to get you way out there and an electric to troll quiet bays. How stable is it? I see scadden standing up on one, but he looks pretty shakey.

Im still looking at the rampage. I see its a bit wider, longer than other boats. Also pretty heavy. Is it made of more durable material? are there more valves? just trying to see if its worth the extra cost. Will it fit in the duffel?

As for standing, with the Assault closed at both ends it feels that secure. I personally haven't tried, but i have terrible balance. But I have wanted to, specially on the XX.

Some comparisons for you, the XX is 6" shorter than the Ramapage. 4" narrower, 2" smaller diameter toons, and 6 lbs lighter because of this.
The Rampage might fit in a duffle, but it takes sucking the air completely out,and folding it just right. If it can be done, Dave can show you. There might be a youtube of it.
The XX has a valve for each side and one on each seat. I am not sure if the Rampage has two per side but one for the seat.

Re: [flygoddess] Need New Powered 'Toon In reply to
Any suggestions on how to "wheel and deal" with North fork? Even though they have "show prices" they seem a bit steep to me.I might even look at the rampage if they can give me a deal.
Visit: http://www.speckledcartel.com
Can't help you there. I pay show prices as well. You can try dropping my name Joni, but NO guarantees.

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Feb 15, 2014, 3:37 PM)
When I was shopping for first 'toon, I saw NFO prices and wondered why anyone would pay that much for a "rubber" boat. I had looked at pontoon boats for $200 - $500 (that seemed a reasonable price) and then was able to drop by Scadden's shop to check out his boats in detail.

Ended up buying an Assault XX that we've used extensively under all kinds of conditions (running Utah's Green to floating big reservoirs in snow storms) and the thing still looks like new with zero problems. You can see some of our adventures on NFO's Facebook page.

Just my two cents, but I think you get what you pay for.

I now also own an NFO Avenger XX, Navigator, and Predator and think they are a good value for the price.
(This post was edited by kandersonSLC on Feb 16, 2014, 7:01 AM)
Re: [kandersonSLC] Need New Powered 'Toon In reply to
Kanderson: Any benefits of Asault XX vs Predator style? Im kind of torn.
To me there is a difference. I fly fish, I like to keep the tip of my rod in the water when stripping line in. I like landing the fish in front of me. I would say the ability to walk straight out of the boat, but that is if the foot bar is not hooked up.
The Closed front however is a much more secure feeling. I have accidentally dropped my rod on both styles and lets just say, my heart was pounding on the Renegade as I had a wet arm retrieving it. With the closed front you can lay you rod down. Choppy water the closed front gives more a sense of security. You do fish out of the side but easy adjustment.
There is always a little adjusting to different boats, but IMHO these are well thought out.

I have had the Expedition 9' pontoon, the Escalade-the pre Navigator II The Freestyle H3. the Navigator -the pre Renegade version, a Cardiac Canyon (always be one of my favorite) an Escape, and a Renegade and I now have the Assault, the Assault XX, the X5, The Predator and soon the Fusion. I am kinda partial to NFO LOL

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Feb 16, 2014, 6:29 PM)
Re: [jmach] Need New Powered 'Toon In reply to
I would like to see NFO compete in the backpacking area- 14# is just not competitive with the 8# Trinity, ODC Ultra, etc. They have the heart valve material to possibly make a sub 6# lightweight and compact unit. One thing is that a backpacking boat can be used in most places where the heavier boats are used, but the opposite is not true.

Wonder why they and everyone else went into the very highly competitive SUP area which I a thinking will be a passing fad.... SUPs are just not as comfortable, stable, versatile and don't have the pocket storage or bells and whistles possible with sit down types....

JMHO.

Pon

jmach wrote:
There are a lot of great posts here. Regarding the NFO watercraft. I have the Renegade and love it, but use it with oars and fins (no motor). I have an aluminum boat if I fish a larger body of water where I want a motor. For backpacking...it would be very difficult to carry a Rampage for 5 miles. I think that it weighs 38 pounds + waders + fins, etc. NFO makes an Assault Ultra-Lite that weighs 14 pounds. I haven't seen one, but this weight makes it enticing.

Brookies
Re: [pontoonman] Need New Powered 'Toon In reply to
pontoonman wrote:
I would like to see NFO compete in the backpacking area- 14# is just not competitive with the 8# Trinity, ODC Ultra, etc. They have the heart valve material to possibly make a sub 6# lightweight and compact unit. One thing is that a backpacking boat can be used in most places where the heavier boats are used, but the opposite is not true.

Wonder why they and everyone else went into the very highly competitive SUP area which I a thinking will be a passing fad.... SUPs are just not as comfortable, stable, versatile and don't have the pocket storage or bells and whistles possible with sit down types....

JMHO.

Pon.

I talked to Dave about this. The first Predator was 8 lb 6' pontube (same as Escape) out of Heartvalve material. But, everyone wanted it bigger.
With the popularity of the Renegade he opted for the 8', 14 lb Predator and Assault Ultra Light.
The demand for that back pack tube is there,but people want the rowing. Plus the whole seat and storage area are inflated. For 6 lb more you are getting a pontoon, not a tube.
As for SUP, maybe watch some of his videos. He takes them down some sick rivers. It is a canoe, kayak, stand up board, plus you can sit sideways and kick. Gear storage is not a problem either. Plus he has a motor mount accessory for them.
Rolls up to a roll. Then with the Fuzion, you get the shape and oars of a pontoon with the standing platform of a SUP.
I personally don't see them as a phase.

(This post was edited by flygoddess on Apr 15, 2014, 5:37 PM)
Well, after countless hours of research and reading opinions, I've finally come to a decision. At the end of it all, I really wanted a rampage, but found a lightly used assault XX on ebay with motor mount for about half the price...so iits now on its way to me...Apparently its in like new condition, no patches....I guess money does talk, keeping my fingers crossed
(This post was edited by flygoddess on Feb 18, 2014, 3:26 AM)
atvaholic wrote:
Well, after countless hours of research and reading opinions, I've finally come to a decision. At the end of it all, I really wanted a rampage, but found a lightly used assault XX on ebay with motor mount for about half the price...so iits now on its way to me...Apparently its in like new condition, no patches....I guess money does talk, keeping my fingers crossed[/quote

Not to worry, it still has the same warranty.

Both are solid choices with different strengths (as pointed out by FG). The Assault XX will give you more room for gear or to take along a fishing buddy. While we bought a second 2-person boat (Avenger XX), we plan on keeping the Assault because it's performed so well under so many conditions.

I've had two pin-size holes in my Assault that were both my fault -- left the cotter pins in the foot-rest bar and then rolled up raft. Didn't notice until got on water and saw bubbles coming up between my legs (not those kind of bubblesBlush). Both were fixed within minutes using small tube of Loon UV wader repair.

My experience is that the only way you'll get a hole in your Assault is if you drag it over a sharp object (broken glass), sit on it with a Bowie knife at your side, or otherwise pierce it with a sharp object.

We've beach ours on rocky/sandy shores over a 100 times and bounced off and over some serious river rocks with no sign of wear on side or bottom. The Assault is one tough 'toon. Enjoy.
(This post was edited by kandersonSLC on Feb 18, 2014, 8:57 AM)
Thanks FG and Kanderson. How do you rig it up for 2 people? I see in the videos there is some elevated seat in the front. Does that come with it? Also my motor flips around 180 degrees would it be better on the front or back? I will be using it for trolling.
It comes with a box/trunk and two seats. But Kevin made a nice front seat set up for his guests that will swivel.
The Trunk is a cloth box that you will need to put a milk crate or something strong enough to hold weight inside. Plus extra storage. It straps down

My hubby hauls Baxter

Here both guys are at about 220 lb

I am not sure how you will reach the motor on the front. The boat is 10 feet long.

Wow, thanks for the detailed post, FG. I was wondering how it would handle with 2 grown men on it. The boat is impressing me from what I see so far.
For front seat, you can use NFO storage box; ice chest with pad, or this set up my wife really likes. The floors can be made rock hard for the seat frame or softer for sitting on.

Kanderson, great setup! I like that front seat. Does it cause any issues being up so high?
When strapped down, the seat is rock solid. My wife loves being up that high as she can spot rising trout and site cast to them. I was a little nervous about floating the Green with her sitting higher, but the gap in the floor dissipates much of the wave's energy so the Assault eats rapids and the seat is centered with no bucking.

This is us hooking up with double prizes (FG took this photo).

I might add, that day was brutal windy too. This seat idea is a wise choice and a brilliant idea.

Well, the assault arrived today..looks like it had a muddy last trip, but im not going to complain considering what I paid for it! Seems to be pretty sturdy material! (not sure about the oars though). The problem was, it came with a pump, but I was unable to inflate it as there was no adaptor. I custom made one with an old adaptor I had and was able to pump it up about 80% so I can inspect and clean it.

What type of adaptor do I need? Also, im not to sure how the side bags go on?
Get some 303 Protectant, not Armoral. Walmart carries it. Clean the toon with it periodically during the year and remember to hose and soap down the toon after every trip,
As for the Pump, the adapter is a piece of hose that fits into the valve. Call NFO and I bet they would send you one.
There is also K-Pumps. The beveled blue cap fits perfect into valve and no adapter needed. The 100 is single action and great for topping off, the 200 is double action and the only pump you would need.
Be sure to top off at 3 to 4 lbs. Assuming you have the older Bravo Valves, they are a push once to open, push again to close. Fill in the open setting then close and top off.
Bags. There are 2 D rings on the inside next to seat and the outside on both sides of toon. Thread the straps through them. Mesh pocket on the inside as this is also the rod holder.

Welcome to the OUTLAWS!

Thanks, FG.

I think I have the seats and bags figured out now.

I have a clear plastic tube that fits, but the problem I have to inflate it with the valve open. By the time I remove the pump and close the valve I lose a lot of air?
Try pumping in the closed position. It is hard but can be done. The bad thing about the pumps with the hose is you have to insert the hose tight for hands free pumping. The K-Pump you just hold up to the valve so easy to close quick.
Give that a try and report back, please.

Hi FG.

When I tried in the closed position, the plastic tube would just pop out. Maybe duct tape might work. Is there no valve adapter I could purchase? That would make life easy -- But I have several valve adapters but none seem to fit :(
These are Bravos. No adapter. In fact when Dave used Halkey Roberts, he used the same piece of hose on his pumps. The hose fits tight in the valve and on the end of the pump hose. Call and ask them what size of hose to use, I am sure you could get it at any hardware store.
Try the tape or have someone hold the hose for now. I wish I could help you more on this.

This place seems to have a large variety of adapters, you might look around to see if one matches up:

http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/...mp;cat=22&page=2

Pon

atvaholic wrote:
Hi FG.

When I tried in the closed position, the plastic tube would just pop out. Maybe duct tape might work. Is there no valve adapter I could purchase? That would make life easy -- But I have several valve adapters but none seem to fit :(
> > > >