Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing General Discussion >

Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod

fishing
(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod
What is the biggest fish you have ever caught on a fly rod? and if you remember how long did it take for you to land the fish?

Good luck Fishing and pass fishing on.
Jason McMillin
jason@bigfishtackle.com
Re: [JasonMcMillin] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to
That one is easy although I have landed several Carp in the 30+" range.
2007, Henry's Lake, Fall, 6 wt. rod with intermediate line, and 6 lb P-Line fluorocarbon tippet. A #12 Hot Chocolate for the fly.
About 15 to 20 minutes to land.
35" aproximately 20 lb Hybrid.

My biggest fish was a sucker. I caught it on Clear Creek between Idaho Springs and Golden. When I put it on the scales it weighted 180 lbs. Caught it on a size 20 red miracle midge. Fowl Hooked him real good. Amazingly I caught him as I released a 12 inch rainbow from a size 12 Crackleback.

It took me 3 days to get the nerve to take that hook out of the back of my hand. It was so small I kept forgetting about it until I put may hand in my pocket. Then I would instantly remember that it was there. I also instantly got reminded I need to debarb ALL my hooks.

dB
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog
I guess that I must be a throw back from the old days for I have never weigh or measured a fish that I caught. Whether it is an arm or hand span long it really doesn't make any difference to me. To catch a few nice fish and enjoy the scenery makes my day.

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

Re: [Scruffy_Fly] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to
180LB? How big was that thing? Plus foul hooking with a #20, how many days did you play it?

My biggest fish on the flyrod would have to be a 32lb Halibut. It measured close to 33 inches.

It took all but 26 minutes to bring it up on my 11wt rod, sinking line(with 1/4oz) splitshot tagger and 15lb Tyger Leader.Cool

Bass are toys. Gills and Trout are food.
There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an Idiot
Fast, Free Registration Tell them TubeN2 sent ya
Search From this siteClick Here
Current Moon Phase Tide Reports
Re: [flygoddess] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to
FG wrote: 180LB? How big was that thing? Plus foul hooking with a #20, how many days did you play it?
-------------

It was over 5 ft tall. I played it only for a moment until I could get some line stripped out of the guides so that hook was not yanking on my hand. I was the sucker.

dB
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog

My god that is like landing a short stout man. Okay what wt rod were you using?

Dryrod

DUH! Well you just hooked a ______lb little ol ladyLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I got ya beat with a size 4 sculpin hook I caught a 240lber

In reality I caught a 20lb gar on a draggon fly and a five weight in Florida.

Windriver
Re: [windriver] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to

Well as I said I don't measure or weigh my catch. However, do you care to give a guess on this one?

Dryrod

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Jul 17, 2008, 10:13 PM)
Re: [Dryrod] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to
no guesses.. but do you have her phone number.. maybe she has a sister.. heheh

MacFlyFishin'

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
to date the biggest legitimate fish that I have brought to hand on a fly rod is the very first one I ever caught.. it was on a 6wt fly rod that my brother in law loaned me.. I was using size 10 - 12 poppers.. this one was a green frog pattern.. the fish was a good couple of pounds and about 14 inches long.. it only took a few minutes to bring it to hand since it hit the popper only a few feet from the shore..

now.. on the other hand.. this past Thursday I was on the Little Duck river near Manchester TN with MacLarry.. we were both using 5/6 wt pfluger rod comobos.. I had gotten a good nibble on a short cast but missed the hook up.. so I wanted to cast back quickly to the same area... as I started my casting I feel a tug on the and then a loud HOWL.. I turned to see MacLarry with the small wooly bugger I was using hooked firmly in the corner of his mouth.. all he could say was "ya hooked me".. as much as I did not want to laugh I had too.. once he unhooked himself he started laughing as well.. luckily I had debarbed that hook before I started using it..

.. funny thing was.. for some odd reason or the other he stayed away from me for the rest of the evening.. heheh

MacFly Angelic

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
Re: [macfly55] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to

Welcome back MacFly - I hope that you & your family had a great vacation. FGD told me to give you a big hug for her when you returned. Here's your hug. Think that she is over in Idaho practicing her casting.

Dryrod

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Jul 20, 2008, 1:13 PM)
thank you .. its good to be back.. and thank you for the hug from my sis.. I think you are right about the Idaho thing..maybe she will have some good stories when she comes back..

MacFly Cool

So how tall & how much did that MacLarry fish weight? BTW her # is 1-800-333-7426. Check your telephone key pad to decipher it's code.

Dryrod

I got the deep part.. but not the 426... best I can come up with is gan or gam....:-)

MacFly Cool

Duh - H0 or did you forget why you took Chemistry 101.

Dryrod

oh so you confused me with using numbers to represent letters AND numbers.. now that is just not fair.. Laugh

MacFly Cool

Dryrod wrote "dare to take a guess on this one?" 36C?Tongue

My biggest fish on a fly rod was a 34" tiger musky. Second biggest was a 31" sucker.Cool

ROR!!!
What a joke!

(This post was edited by lunkerhunter2 on Jul 31, 2008, 2:47 PM)
Re: [lunkerhunter2] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to

A 34" fish is quite a haul - but a tiger muskie must have been a battle. Hey there LH2 care to share any details?

Dryrod

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Jul 31, 2008, 3:55 PM)
I just got back from Alaska a week ago and managed to land a 40 lb King Salmon on a 8 wt with 8 lb line. My brother in law and son ran off with all the flies I was intending to use so it was caught on a size 8 muddler. Now 10 minutes earlier a 10 -12 lb sockeye broke the same line like it was a cobweb when I was off balance and accidently tightened up on the line.
I had a 38 pound king salmon take my fly while fishing steelhead in Alaska. It over an hour to land the brute on 14 lb leader. I have a picture of that fish posted in my gallery. It was an unexpected surprize!
It's not my biggest fish on a fly rod, but it is certainly the biggest brook trout I've ever caught on a fly rod.

4 1/2lbs and 20inches

The blog, have a look.
www.livingflylegacy.com
Re: [ChrisTheFish] Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod In reply to
thats an awesome looking catch..

MacFly Cool

> >