Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing General Discussion >

Dog hair for fly tail?

fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Dog hair for fly tail?
SlyThere's a dog around here similar to DryRod's ol' buddy "Kenai".
They have some pretty stiff hair in some places. It's long and straight.
I'd use it to make the little lite wafty tails of a Crappy Jig or a fly similar to a Clouser only with a shorter set of feathers and that little slim, light colored, wafting tail similar to an Angel fish in an exotic fish aquarium.

Winter has set in and I've not had a chance to try out some of my creations yet.
I'd much rather catch them on Flies, but I think I'm the only one down here that does that. There some trout fly fishers down on the other end of the lake that fish in the Tail Trace of the Sipsy river, but nobody up here fly fishes for Crappie.

I forgot to tell all you Feather merchants that my old Uncle willed me his fly box (an old plastic sewing box) sorta patched in places, and some Homemade stuff in there.
I have a homemade vise, bobbin, feather clamps and an old book about Pacific Northwest fly tying.

So....life begins anew eh?
Re: [Thudpucker] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
Why Not. I used Elvis hair for wings, but he too is gone.
Baxter isn't much help (short hair wiener) BUT, my sister is staying here and they have a horse of a dog...part Rot and part Husky....Humm. Nice looking tail there Jakie...Here boy....Laugh

Re: [flygoddess] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
I used to make streamers from the hair of a friend's Irish Setter. An incredible color, and surprisingly lively in the water.

I miss that dog!

And don't forget, too, that the underhair of many dogs makes great dubbing material.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
Re: [Brook] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
Huskies have that undercoat that would work really well as dubbing. After living in SoCal for three seasons my Husky lost her under coating and never did shed her coat come summer.

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

Any animal in my neighborhood is fair game when it comes to fly tying materials. I now have short hair dogs so I can have them help me with much needed supplies.

Now....long haired cats can help to substitute for the bunny fur on your Zonkers too. They work great.
Cool

Bass are toys. Gills and Trout are food.
There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an Idiot
Fast, Free Registration Tell them TubeN2 sent ya
Search From this siteClick Here
Current Moon Phase Tide Reports
Re: [tubeN2] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
so what could a dead possum do for a tye flyer...

MacFly

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
Re: [macfly55] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
I know you're being a wise-ass, Mac. But, in point of fact, the belly hair on a possum is a traditional dubbing material.

Use a wire brush, like the curry comb for your dog, and brush out the possum's belly. That's all there is to it.

Brook
I noticed when I began tying many years ago, I started looking at road kill in a whole new light.Wink
One trip to IF, I say a beautiful Red Fox laying on the side of the road. Tail was perfect, but it was on a narrow up hill curve so we couldn't pull over....RATS!

Re: [flygoddess] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
Oh, yeah. Road kill rocks!

For years I always carried a few plastic bags and some rubber gloves in the car. And, of course, I'm never without a knife of some kind.

Ever been on your way to a formal sit-down dinner and stop to pick up a squirrel tail? And then, a few minutes later, a coon?

Trust me, it does not endear you to the better half. Unsure

Brook

Okay MacFly tickle the belly of these dudes for some dubbing. LOL

Dryrod

Re: [Dryrod] Dog hair for fly tail? In reply to
LOL>... no way Jose.. aint gonna happen..

Brook.. smart - ass.. not.. joking around yes.. and yes I do realize that almost any animals hair can be or once was used to tie flies... but ..

the main reason for the comment is that I have a recurring visitor in my back yard.. I scare him off.. but one of these days.. he could end up being fly tying material.. Sly

MacFly Cool

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
Dryrod, did you know that if you pick up a skunk by the tail it can't spray? Tis true.

Go to any trappers convention and you'll see it being done.

Me, I've always had two questions.

1. Who was the first guy to try that? I mean, come-on. Surely he wasn't the sharpest skinning knife in the packbasket.

2. What happens when it's time to put the thing down? I'm convinced that there's only one skunk this has been done with, and he just keeps getting passed around. "Hey, George, hold this a minute would ya?"

Brook
"Surely he wasn't the sharpest skinning knife in the packbasket. "

ya need to quit saying things like this.. I get in trouble at work if I break out laughing out loud.. (I work in a library)..

seriously.. had never heard that one and could not help but laugh much to the shagrin of the students who I admonish for being to loud at times.. Blush

MacFly Cool

They make great pets. Can you imagine the distance people will give you if you had one of those dudes on a leash walking down the street. BTW Holding it by the tail is not the correct procedure. Think about it, for when a skunk goes on defense it raises it's tail. You have to hold the skunks tail between its legs so that it can't release it's spray. Who is brave enough to go out and see which system works best?

Duh - NOT ME!

Dryrod

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Nov 19, 2008, 10:15 AM)
not me either mi amigo.. but as brook said.. someone had to go out and be the first one to try those theories.. LOL>...

MacFly Cool

Uh, the way I heard it, the fella what proposes a new theory has the honor of testing it.

Reckon that means you, Dryrod. Wink

Seriously, the reason it works is because the muscles used to contract the scent glands can't work when he's hanging in the air. He raises his tail, when spraying, just to get it out of the way.

I can just imagine how pissed he is when you put him down, though.

Brook
ya know its a bad day if the skunk looks like this.......

MacFly Cool

(This post was edited by macfly55 on Nov 19, 2008, 1:22 PM)
MacFly, anyone ever tell you you ain't right?Laugh

Brook
what?? you wouldnt consider it a really bad day if you saw a skunk running around in a gas mask?? Laugh

MacFly Cool

Dryrod

I've been lurking. Reading all the reply's.
Its a grand humor y'all have. The answers around the answer are more entertaining than any value the answer might have had.

I went to a local dog Bueaty Parlor asking for stiff dog hair.
Well, after a couple skeptical looks, she quickly called for the girl working with her. Hmmm, I wonder if they get a lot of Sex offenders in there asking for Dog hair?
That's impression I got from the look on her face.

After some quick 'tall tales' about what I wanted with the Hair, they relaxed a bit, and let me get as far as the Dumpster which had several bags of Dog hair swept up off the floor.
I picked the bag with the most light colored hair showing through the white plastic bag and headed out to the car with my prize.
I left my name and number with what I was looking for, but you can imagine how many Malemutes we have in Alabama. No return calls yet.

I have a line on one. I see him around town. I also have a Goat with long stiff white hair on his back.
"here bucky...."

So I have this bag of Dog Hair down in the barn.
It's just too soft and willowy though.
So far I have black and white Chicken feathers, some Deer Tail coming but not here yet.
I had a Possum and killed several Racoons. I never thought to check any underbelly for anything. What an ugly beast. The Racoons are similar to a Cat. No value at all.
One Possum was eating with the Barn Cats most every day I fed them.

For the tail of a Crappie jig you want an upper tail and a lower tail, and not much, if anything, in between.
The tail parts have to stick out. Hold their shape. One going high and one going low.
But when you jig the jig up n' down gently and slowly, the tail parts follow the jig, all the while holding their shape.

I got a five gallon bucket by my tying bench (my wife just loves that!) and I test everthing I tie in that bucket.
Not one successful tie yet! Bummer.

For you guys who tie, and the others that are starting, the Christmas season is upon us.
All that tinsle crap is going to be free pretty soon. Those Decorated trees are going to be out by the curb and you can get all the tinsle you wanted just for the scavenging.
I also went to the dumpster outside the 2nd hand store and got some old ladies clothes that have sequins and silver/gold threads going through it.

You guys dont use that stuff so much for Trout, but for Panfish its as good as gold.
If I ever tie something that works, I'll take some photos and post them.

Hi there Thudpucker and thanks for maintaining the levity of this forum. Life is too short to always walk the straight & narrow.

Dryrod

You're right, Thudpucker. Most dog hair is too soft for the use you want. The guard hairs, in some breeds, would be stiff enough, but you have to pick 'em out.

Other animals would serve a better purpose. Deer tail will be perfect, once you get it. Goat might be near perfect. Black bear would work too, except it doesn't dye as readily as the others.

Don't neglect squirrel tail. Talk about a freebee: road kill squirrels are everywhere.

And, all kidding aside (badum, dum!), skunk tail is ideal for your crappie jigs.

As to sequins, and garland, and all that sort of trim, I don't bother dumpster diving for it. Not at the prices they charge in the thrift shops. I mean, we're talking $2-4 for more sparkling thread and sequin chains than you could use in a lifetime.

Welcome to the flyfishing forums. Let's hear more about your panfish tying experiences.

Brook
Thanks DryRod,

Our local Fly Fishing shop owner and guide just made the papers. Full page too. BIg photo of him. (The Cullman Times/...one fly guy/ (Cullman AL)
Brandon Jacksons fly shop is an hour's drive south of me.
On a long trip like that I'd forget where I was heading, and why. Crazy

Brook, Thanks for the Skunk tip. I just spotted a fresh one as we speak.
Hes one of the few that died out of the roadway. In a couple more days I'll go pick im' up.
You gotta get em' quick if they end up in the road or they get pulverized and you have to dig through the ...
After a week or so, the Ravens and Turkey Buzzards get to them and you've lost all the good stuff.

I never thought about Squirrel tail. I've seen only one Squirrel this fall. Pickins'l be better this spring I guess.

Brook's right about Dumpster diving for the flashy stuff.
BUT!!!! Whats the point of going to Hobby Lobby to buy a bunch of stuff with good Money when you can get it free with the sacrifice of a little pride?

We dont have the 'Bag Ladies' and the 'Grocery Cart street vendors' down here or I'd trade them some used Cigar butts for the flashy stuff.

This all started a couple weeks ago as I went to tie 'Crappie Candy' and couldnt find any of the crinkle stuff locally. I'll have to start doing business over the Internet I guess.
Man am I glad I'm not the only one with a dog with a bad haircut. I have an Aussie and a Mallamute that have gotten too close to the tying table a few times. And PLEASE if anyone wants some of the Mallies. undercoat don't hesitate to ask. I will litterally fill a garbage can up with it in spring.