Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing General Discussion >

knots

fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
knots
What knot do you guys use to tie from tippet to fly? I've been using the clinch knot and works great it's just a pain to tie sometimes on those smaller flies.
Re: [rvca] knots In reply to
Hi rvca - likewise I use the clinch knot exclusively. To help attach the tippet to my fly, I use a magnetic threader. This devise keeps the fly perfectly positioned to accept the tippet, which to me is half the battle.

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

I had too many clinch knots slip on me over the years and I was tired of bringing my line in just to see the dreaded curly Q and no fly from a slipped knot. I started using the Eugene Bend several years ago and found it to be easy to tie, even with cold hands. Try it, you might like it.

I use a small Double Surgeon's LOOP. Reason: I have use larger tippet on smaller flies and still get light wiggle movement. Plus super easy to tie even with frozen hands.

Re: [flygoddess] knots In reply to
Bottom line is that - if a knot works for you - great, otherwise its time to change. Sort of like a go-to fly.
Happy New Year all.

Dryrod

Re: [Dryrod] knots In reply to
Absolutely Dryrod and same to you! But, always good toi find out that there are advantages to certain knots over others besides holding power.

Being able to see tying on a small fly to one's tippet requires good eye site and or a quality pair of magnifiers.
Haven't been on the water since having cataract surgery on both eyes last October. Went with lenses that permits me to see near & far without glasses. Will definitely need
sunglasses as everything is now so bright. Think that I will tie up a few flies to see how it goes. Guess I should have inquired if they had polarized replacement lenses. LOL

Dryrod

Thanks for the input. Have you guys tried the "Davy knot"? I think I might try it. It's simple and small.
Yes I have, and it is a good one. BTW check it out under Knots listed on the main site here.

Dryrod

Re: [Dryrod] knots In reply to
The Davy typically works better on smaller flies. I have had a lot of issues with it on larger flies. Go the double Davy and I've never had it slip on any fly, big or small. It's the primary knot I use.
Improved clinch knot..Never failed yet
Since most of my Flyfishing is in the big Salty, I find the palomar knot to be my best friend. Easy to tie on giant flies and in the end, no curly Q's. lol

Bass are toys. Gills and Trout are food.
There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an Idiot
Fast, Free Registration Tell them TubeN2 sent ya
Search From this siteClick Here
Current Moon Phase Tide Reports
Modified clinch.

Albinotrout
Fishing and trains...what else is there? BASEBALL.......