Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing General Discussion >

pontoons

fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
pontoons
looking for advice on a entry level pontoon. very intrested in the toons at cabelas. the backpacker sounds great. any suggestions.

thanks in advance
pa
Re: [pa] pontoons In reply to
CoolHi there pa and welcome to the fly fishing board. BTW what kind of fishing will you be doing from your intended inflatable? Also what kind of water [lake, rivers, salt etc] draws your interest and what is your budget?

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Dec 4, 2007, 11:38 AM)
Re: [Dryrod] pontoons In reply to
Hey Dryrod
Thanks for the response. I will be mostly flyfishing with an occasional spin fishing outing. Mostly small lakes (Vernon resevior). Sometimes Strawberry or Joes Valley etc. Budget is around $300.00 to start with.
Thanx
PA
CoolHi there pa - apparently you have set your sights on a toon. BTW we do have a board dedicated just for float tubes & toons. I have the Outcast Super Fat Cat float tube which I like real well. I have been considering getting a toon but not a real large one and that would be an Outcast Cougar. Just noticed that their price went up again. What hasn't? Outcast does make a less expensive toon for around $400. There are several things one has to consider before laying out the big bucks. Size, construction, guarantee [that is why I'm prone to Outcast - had returned my tube and they repaired in at no charge] portability, etc. Why don't you stop by the Float Tube board and check with TubeDude. He is a master when it comes to knowing the ins and outs of the float world. Here is a pic of the OC Discovery Trekker listed at $399. That is the MSRP. One can do much better from a reputable on-line retailer that won't charge tax or shipping. That is how I purchase my tube. Good luck.

Dryrod

(This post was edited by Dryrod on Dec 4, 2007, 3:56 PM)
...other than tubedude and tn2 one angler here that I know for sure uses a toon is bendopolo.. he uses one made by hobie cat called the float cat that comes in 60" and 75" models..

MacFly Cool

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
thanks dryrod. i will check out the fatcat, and visit the tube board.

will let you know what i come up with

pa
Unless I am mistaken, sounds like Utah lakes. If so, that Cabela's would be a great start. I would not recommend putting a motor on one, but, maybe that was not your plan.

Re: [macfly55] pontoons In reply to
I like my 'toon!!! Wink
Re: [bendopolo] pontoons In reply to
CoolYou have two things going for you on that toon. No need to blow it up and it is not likely to spring a leak..

Dryrod