Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furled leaders
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I know that we have rapped about this subject in the past, however looking at some of the in-line instructions leaves a bit to be desired. To this end I ordered an instructional DVD on line by Kathy Scott. Will let you know how this works out for me.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Good Answer DR...she is my teacher. Great bamboo rod builder writer also.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]So when will you be building a boo?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Been working on one as we speak....[cool]
[signature]
you're building the boo sis???

btw.. I for one can attest to FG's furled leaders. awesome.. hopefully Ill be putting some to good use later this month... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
OKAY, MOJO IS HELPING!!!!![Wink]
[signature]
LOL.. juz teasing ya a bit sis..[Wink]

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]So FGD do you use 6/0 unithread polyester or mono to construct your leaders?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
For years I used just as Kathy recommends. UNI 6/0. I still do on my smaller leaders (like 2-4 weight)
But for 4-10 I use Gutermann. This is the same as the ENGLISH boys use. You can get it at any fabric shop.
I also use Coats and Clark Nylon or Polyester.
UNI has MONO also in 4m and 7m. This is great stuff also. In fact I prefer it in the winter as THREAD (like a Tongue on a frozen pole) on rocks sticks, but the Uni Mono doesn't.
IF you wish to make a leader out of regular fishing line, you need to get 2 lb. Anything bigger or more weight will only produce a HUGE leader.
One thing Ted, Kathy's leaders are light weight. They are a 5 peg three taper board. 5'.
I do also make 5 taper 5', 5 1/2', & 6' leaders.
A little trick when you start to make them. Lay down one full strand of NYLON or POLYESTER first, them make the leader as Kathy says. That one strand of NYLON/POLY with strengthen the leader, but at .004, does not ad bulk.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Thank you. I'll let you get back to your boo now.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: dumb.gif]Hi FGD - Just received Kathy's video and I must say that her demo of making a furled leader takes all the guess work out how to construct one. Finished my first attempt and thought that it came out pretty good until I started to make the loop end. Then I realized that I didn't spin the line long enough. I did use the 10% factor - but I might not have kept the line taunt enough, plus I had to switch drills half way through the furling process. But hey Rome wasn't built in a day. Question what size tippet rings are you using? I have some 2mm rings which seems a bit small.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I have 2mm and 3mm. The 2 is small but what most want.
I messed several ay first. You want tight, but not too tight. I had several break.
Check e-bay for HAIR BRAIDERS. That is what I now use. It will do both legs at the same time. I have the Three (which I only use two hooks) and two hook braiders. Plus I haven't broke any using them.
Another trick I do, once you have threaded the one end through getting ready to make your SHORB, it will appear loose. Try twisting the leader while holding the BIG loop. this takes both hands and you will twist in the big loop and in front of it. I know I am not explaining this well at all, but it works.
[signature]
It reads like DR needs another video now.
[signature]
I know! You pick up allot of your own style, but Kathy sure gets you going in the right direction.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Just like tying my first fly. If you don't take it slow and easy the results will tell the tale. [pirate][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Prior to learning how to make a furled leader I never heard the word Shorb. Since there isn't any definition in the Webster Dictionary, it had to be given the name by the creator Skip Shorb which is not to common a sir name. So here is a picture of one method to tie the Shorb Loop.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline Shorb.jpg]
[signature]
that looks like a latch hook latcher thingamabob.. :-) ..

now my simple minded question is what is a shorb loop??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Yes it is a latch hook. The picture shows how to make a shorb loop. One makes [font "PalatinoLinotype-Roman"]a lasso with the loop at the end of the leader formed in the construction. In the standing side of the lasso (the side away from the loop), insert the splicing needle between the two major strands of the leader. Grab the opposite side of the loop with the hook of splicing needle, and draw it back through the two major strands, and pull it all up tight, which will form a fixed non-slip loop. On the other end one can tie in a tippet ring. Need the eyes of an eagle to thread a 2mm O ring.[Image: scaredworried.gif] FGD got me started by sending me a furled leader, so how about you MacFly?
[/font][/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
I have a couple of her leaders as well.. and I am definitely not to a point to try to make my own.. LOL... Im still fighting with my fly tying... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for explaining a shorb loop.

How are you tying the ring onto the shorb loop.

Another question.

Can the ring be put on at the end of the leader loop when you are making the leader so that you don't need to make a shorb loop?
[signature]