Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing gear & equipment >

Ideal rod

Allen Fly Fishing
fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Ideal rod
What would you say makes the ideal rod for fresh water float tubing?

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

Re: [Dryrod] Ideal rod In reply to
uhmmmmmmmmm one that catches big fish for me????

MacFly Cool

...."May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing"
Hey Dryrod,

I don't think that there is any one ideal rod for tube/toon fishing. I have a couple of 10' 6 wts. customs rods built on loomis blanks that I really like, but what I thought I would need for distance, I really don't. Long casts are not really needed.

Right now, (subject to change of the human mind), I would like to have a 9' 3 or 4 wt. my thinking is that I would be better armed for the local streams with such a rod. and it would be fun for stillwater as well.

Most of what is involved here, is what type of action do you like to cast. Myself, I like a stiffer/faster action, but this is just a matter for personal preference. (ask 50 people, you'll probably get 50 difference choices).

I guess that the size of the fish involved, should be taken into account.

If you're out shopping for a new stick, let us know what you settle on.

Good luck

For the type of Freshwater that I do, it could only be a 5 or 7wt. I only fish for Bass and occasional Cats. They won't let me on the lake before sunrise to get some of nicer Bugle Mouth Bass.Cool

Bass are toys. Gills and Trout are food.
There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an Idiot
Fast, Free Registration Tell them TubeN2 sent ya
Search From this siteClick Here
Current Moon Phase Tide Reports
Re: [Saberfish] Ideal rod In reply to
Saberfish, that is too bad you don'y care for the 10'. I love mine(don't slap the water behind meWink).
I have a 10' 5wt. I love on the Middle Provo, but you definitly need room to spread your wings.
I had a 9'6" 6wt and LOVED that rod, now it is two 9' and an 8' and you are right that it is not that important on stillwater to cast a country mile. The reason I don't have a 10' 6wt. however, is I haven't found one I like yet.Cool

Re: [flygoddess] Ideal rod In reply to
Hey FG,

Don't get me wrong, I like my 10 footers. They are best for tube/toon fishing where you're right on the water. They help remove some of the danger (ear Piercing) that goes with fishing large weighted flies.

I'm sure that you're familiar with the "chuck & duck" casting stroke.