Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Forum : Fly Fishing gear & equipment >

cant see like I used to

Allen Fly Fishing
fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
cant see like I used to
So, I tried to tie up some small midges the other night at my cabin and ran into a little "Old age" issue... I cant see the small stuff anymore! LOL

I kind of knew that I was having issues when at the local waters trying to tie on smaller fly's to small tippet.

So now I am in the market for something to help me out tying at home and in the field.

Suggestions?

I want something easy to use and mobile.
Re: [fish1on] cant see like I used to In reply to
Reader glasses from All A Dollar is the cheapest and easiest.
There are several magnifiers available. Some with a base, some with a clamp, some that connect to the vise.

I am able to still tie #32 with bothSmile

Oh yea - welcome to the over 40 crowd. For tying at home I use the Opti-VISOR over my reading glasses. Also a strong lamp helps too. On the water I have flip down magnifiers. I also have an auto-threader which works great if you have big hand.

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

image/png ft.png (448 KB)
(This post was edited by Dryrod on Apr 3, 2014, 5:08 PM)
Great info folks thank you
For fishing:
I never got used to the type that hook onto the visor of a ball cap. The ones that flip down. I had glass lens ones that just seemed heavy. So I tried the plastic lens ones but I soon had them scratched. Went through a couple pair of those. It's been 12 or more years since I have tried those.

I had ones that clip onto sun glasses and flip down. I liked those but they spring mechanism would break so they would not stay up then. When through 4 sets of those.

I settled on glass lens reading glasses. Very strong 4 X dioper glasses. I use them only for tying on flies and and tippet. Some times I just slip them into my breast pocket.
Other times I use a thin pliant Chums eye glass retainers (see the light blue ones on this page https://www.chums.com/category/tech). I hook one side to the eye glasses. The other side I tie to a button hole on my shirt or to a D-ring on my fly fishing vest. That obviously is to make sure that I do not loose the glasses. I have those for about 10 years now.

I have to always have regular reading glasses with me, also. For every thing else that needs reading or detail views - maps, computers, small screws, books. The list is endless.

For fly tying I use the same thing that Dryrod does - Opti-Visor.

dB
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog
Re: [Scruffy_Fly] cant see like I used to In reply to
The clip-on that I mentioned is actually a pin-on. See attached photo. Don't recall the manufacturers name but it is an 4X magnifier. The unit pins onto the brim and flips under it when not in use.

Dryrod
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm!

Not a member yet? Click this link to register.

Tell them Dryrod sent you!
Your Fly Fishing Moderator

image/jpeg magnifiers.jpg (1.32 MB)
Re: [Dryrod] cant see like I used to In reply to
I had several of those Dryrod, but I think the sun deteriorates the plastic as they break where they slip on the bill. I now have a pair of those with a metal clip and you can slide the magnifier in and out. Very nice.
But I don't always wear caps. I like cowboy hats to protect my ears and neck.
So I have two pair that clip on glasses.
First ones in this pictures
http://www.bing.com/...3186&FORM=IQFRBA

They don't break!