Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook/Lure for panfish?
I'm new to fishing and I'm trying to concentrate on panfishing. Any panfishing advice would be great as I'm looking to have a good time. I will be on a rowboat on a large lake.

This is a really stupid question, but I can't find anything on the net or youtube on how to properly put a hook in soft plastics such as the 3" tiny ika. I would think to put the hook coming out near the tail, but I've seen videos *not tutorials* of people having the hook come out mid body.

Is there a rule of thumb on size of a lure for the size of the hook? Right now I have Eagle Claw size 4,6, and 10 hooks that are labeled for panfish and for lures I have 2" curly tail grub and 3" tiny ika.

This weekend I will be going to the sporting goods shop and I want to go in with my war face and know exactly what I should be matching hooks/jigheads with lures.

Do you recommend Texas Rigging? Would I need a wide gap for that?
[signature]
You need to take into account the size of the mouth of the fish you are targeting and how they feed. Some fish take their prey head on, other types attack from behind.

I'm not sure about Wacky rigging (texas style) worms, I would think that would be too much bait.

Alot of my experience with Perch is through ice fishing and I always caught them on jigs or bugs that were much smaller than I though I would need. Gill's should be easy to catch, they'll eat anything. When fishing for Crappie think of them as stunted less aggressive bass, same types of things work.

I'm sure some more experienced pan fish guys can chime in with some more detailed assistance.
[signature]
I like using small jigs like 32oz up to 8th oz , but I do find smaller to be better. I like both tube and grub plastics agin small. I also like to rig up in a dropshot style, weights on the bottom and 1 or 2 hooks tied in above. Color depends on the lake and time of year, but white seems to always produce as well as chartrues and green. Remember also that 4# test line is all you will need. 6# may not let your smaller jigs get down to the fish very quickly, unless it's a thin line. Also a Ultra light or light rod that is very sensitive for those light bitters.
[signature]
I have mentioned before on these forums that I really like the Trout Magnet. It is a 1/64 oz jig (looks like a shad dart) with a split tail grub, it really gets the bluegill and perch. I do not want to violate any rules so google trout magnet and find Lelund Lures, lots of good info and tutorials.They have a video on how to put the grub on the hook, too.
[signature]
Hello. My experience is limited mostly to skinny waters. I use #4 aberdeen hooks for panfish. I hike or bike into many of my fishing spots so I use just one rod and the creek I most frequent is known for larger muskie and catfish. I use 10lb power pro s8s with a 1-6' fluorocarbon leader, a size 20 spinning reel on a 6'6" medium power rod currently.
Some days the panfish like the hook covered to the eye and the curve exiting the very end of the plastic body, other days I have repositioned the plastic to expose the eye or more of the hook and got bites. one of my favorite rigs is an unweighted #4 Aberdeen with a wacky rigged slender 2"white straight worm/grub. You can't cast too far but if you keep strategically positioned so not to spook them, then its quite fun indeed.
for swimming twist tall grubs I prefer a 1/16Oz bullet sinker.
For jigging small baits I prefer a small split shot right above the knot a bit as opposed to a jig myself, you can go weightless with a pinch.
As you get bites and catches your little bait will be beat on. I just push it off the hook a bit and twist and exit hook in another location as many times as possible. Just the other day I caught several nice bluegill and a few spotted bass on a fire tiger split paddletail 2"grub before I put it in my trash section of my backpack.
Hope that helps and not confuses. :-)
[signature]
Well if you haven't been welcomed to BFT, Welcome! Great input and suggestions! I hope you can continue to visit us and be sure to check the rest of the sites out as well. and drop in to your State forum and say hi if you haven't allready.
Tahnks again and welcome.
[signature]
Thank you very much for the welcome. I'm not sure exactly how I stumbled onto the site. I have it bookmarked, I will check out the fullness of the site as I have time. Thank you also for the humble appreciation.
Have a nice day/night or, night/day, as I see we prefer the same Book. :-)
[signature]