Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing Forum : Freshwater Fishing General >

Confused????

fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Confused????
The other day I was fishing and I caught a largemouth bass, but when I was reeling it in my pole and line snapped and it got away. So I was wondering what do you recommend in fishing poles so that this does not happened again. Also I would prefer a rod and reel combo with the line already on. (strong fishing line) Any info you have would be helpful!

Re: Confused???? In reply to
What kind of rod were you using? There are a lot of rod/reel combos on the market and just about any of them can do the job. I've used $30.00 rod/reel combos and managed to boat my fish, a lot depends on your fishing techniques.

If you asking for a specific brand I saw some combos at Wal-Mart using All Star rods. Can't remember the brand of reel, but the All Star rods will do the trick for you and if it does break you can take it back and get it replaced.

Lee's Custom Rods
The product of craftsmanship is quality
Hey PlantLover,

I'll have to agree with Lee on this one. If you want to keep costs down there are a lot of good combos at Wal-Mart. The other day I saw a really nice Berkley Lightning Rod combo but I can't seem to remember what brand reel was on it right now.

Check out Kistler Rods if your looking for something to last a lifetime. They'll cost a good bit more, but will make you fishing experiences much more pleasurable.

Good luck and Tight Lines,

John

http://www.thebassguide.com

SRC="http://www.thebassguide.com/b.gif">
I would stay away from All Star rods like the plague. Anything but All Star.

Get some nice combos at cabelas.com or basspro.com. None have line attached and you'll get what you pay for.

Forget Wallymart unless you really want more broken rods. You'll have to handle loading the line yourself but they both sell it. If you get a light rod get 4 or 6 lb test, if you get a medium get 6 or 10 lb line. I don't recommend anything heavier than that for what you are fishing for.

If you really don't want to bother with spooling your own line go to a good sporting goods store near you and they most likely spool reels for you.

I use more 6 lb line than anything else.

Thats a good plan.
Buy a reasonable combo, then have the reel respooled with quality line. You'll get a rod/reel combo that can be used for a variety of species, and the most important link (the line) will be new.

Check this site for reasonably priced rod/reel combo's or basspro/cabelas. You can easily find one for under $100..

Laugh
walmart has some good stuff if you look?? shakespear contender rod or berkly cherrywood rod is nice to me but you have to like it. I also use excaliber silver thread line never lose a fish now. for a reel at discounted price gofishin.com save you 50%, look at rods and combo's while you are there too??
titelines & Bigfish BigBill

The best buys are at wal-mart don't let anyone fool you go
get yourself a 7 ft uglystick by shakespere and a open
spenning reel by shakesphere with steal double bearings
I have seven and have never lost a fish on those

Re: [Guest] Confused???? In reply to
the uglystick is from wall mart and it is the best rod i have ever had
iv broke every expensive rod but iv had a ugly stick for 7 years caught over60 salmov all over 30 lbs abd the rod has never broke yet wall mart rules
I have to agree altho once while walking through Walmart i found a nice Daiwa Medium Rod and Reel Combo so my wife and I both bought one. Never had any problerms with it but you'll have to spool it yourself.

I will be picking up a couple Ugly Sticks in the near future and fitting them with quantum reels.
he is correct i have always had ugly stiks and got them from wal mart i just got the intercoastal for 39 bucks that thing rocks
Two thoughts on this one....

You can get a good rod reel combo for around $30.... I would shy away from places like Walamrt though and go to a place like Cabela's Bass Pro, or Sportsman's Warehouse though to buy it. The reason I say that is the staff at those places know a lot more and can tell you the $30 rigs which are a real sweet deal, and those that are garbage. Most Wal-Mart employees aren't going to be able to give you that kind of input.

I would also not go with a rig that comes with the line already on it. I have found that most of those "pre-spooled" combos have garbage line on them. I will say it's worth the extra $5 to have your new reel spooled with a quaility line. You'll have less breaks offs and other problems of that nature. Places like the big outdoors stores I mentioned above will spool it for you with your choice of line. Usually it only costs a few dollars for them to do it (price of the line).

"There are those fish that operate within the bounds of the law and those that operate outside of it. These fish are Carp. For Carp the law is inadequate and they must be punished!!!" - The Carp Punisher
Re: [Carp_Punisher] Confused???? In reply to
generally i would rather do my own research and know for myself what a good deal is. staff at cabelas and sportsmans are better than walmart- but not by much! know what you want, then find the best deal. as far as line i agree completely...spend a few dollars and get a good quality line. the best reel in the world is garbage if the line sucks. why skimp the pennies on that?
Re: [Rockabilly714] Confused???? In reply to
You found some intercoastal models? I bought one about 3 years ago, and haven't been able to find anymore. It's an awesome rod because it's not as limber as it's aformentioned cousin, yet seems to retain it's strength.

What state are you in? And what store did you find them? I'd like to get my hands on about a half dozen more.Cool

Bryan Draper

Your Saltwater and South Carolina Moderator

http://www.catchemcreekoutfitters.com

Re: [Tarpon4me] Confused???? In reply to
I was at bass pro shop in spring field missouri this past winter and id have to say the people in sales was dumber than any sporting goods salemen i have ever seen at walmart, them boys at bass pro shop had no clue what i was asking for when I asked for a noodle rod, one guy sent me to the fly fishing dept and the guy there sent me to deep sea fishing and I went and told them all to go work at walmart so they could learn what they was doing, never will deal with them again after my trip to springfield missouri, it was a bummer to be in such a big fishing store and not be able to get what i wanted from the help there, I did get what i wanted, but I had to find it myself, so dont rule out walmart based on there help! and the guys are right the line you get on combo's is junk has memory and dont cast good and its week, prolly cause its old!
take a kid hunting and fishing
Re: [whitedog] Confused???? In reply to
i called the cabelas retail store here in utah today. i asked for a price on a new downrigger and what that included. i would have had better luck talkin trolling with my 2 year old nephew! they didnt have a clue. i guess im going to have to make the 45 minute drive down there! all well. great prices and good return policy has already won them my business...unless walmart starts carrying digi trolls!
Re: [bkidder] Confused???? In reply to
I never have used the stock fishing line they put on the combo sets. I usually rethread them within an hour with SpiderWire.

We used to have this great fishing tackle store here in Spokane, but unfortunatly Walmart put them right out of business. It took me an hour of deliberation when buying our 2 Daiwa poles because i really hate what Walmart does to the little guy and usually refuse to shop there.

After buying our poles I ran across a place called the White Elephant that caters to hunters and fisherman. They proudly have a new customer. Their prices are damn near better than walmart and they know what they are talking about when you ask them questions. We dont have a Cabelas here but I should be getting a catalog soon.
Re: [Spokane_Angler] Confused???? In reply to
sounds like youre lucky to have found a good place to shop! it is sad what walmart and other mega stores do to the little guy, but we as consumers vote for this with every dollar we spend. the fact of life is that most of us like to save money.
Re: [bkidder] Confused???? In reply to
We are pretty fortunate. The basspro shop in Myrtle Beach has some pretty knowledgable characters in it. I bought my last GPS from there, and I figured when I started asking questions about them, he'd give me the "duh" look and start reading the boxes; but not the case. The guy offshore fished himself and was familiar with the equipment. I was actually impressed.

I think it's more so the luck of the draw for the employer rather than the quality of the store. If there aren't any knowledgable people in the area that are looking for a job, the show still has to go on. So they get who they can. Personally, I think basspro is the best outdoors retail store i've been to. I get to where I can't stand going into walmart, it's a freakin' mad house 24/7. Atleast at basspro, I know i've got a 90% chance of finding exactly what I want, and not have to wait for it. I mean seriously guys, do you really want to ask questions in a basspro to help you find things FASTER? LOL, I don't. I look for reasons to stay in the store longer and look around. I know my wife hates going there, so not being able to find something gives me a meal ticket to look at other crap I want to look at. Cool And it's never a wasted trip to go and look at fishing stuff.

Bryan Draper

Your Saltwater and South Carolina Moderator

http://www.catchemcreekoutfitters.com

Re: [Tarpon4me] Confused???? In reply to
i am in So california they had alot of intercoastals there i got the 7 foot and they had the 6 foots there to.