Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > General Discussion : Fishing Webmasters >

My 2 cents on this months "Tackle...

fishing fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
My 2 cents on this months "Tackle Trade World" article entitled "Webistes- the answer to our prayers?
I was reading an article in this month’s Tackle Trade World entitled "Websites- the answer to our prayer’s." by Chris Leibbrandt.

He typically does some good marketing pieces and I enjoy the magazine but this article was a total dud in my mind. I got the distinct impression he either has very little knowledge about the internet or was just protecting the "print media" from being compared to the much more cost effective, transparent, trackable, media, “the internet”. In one section of the article entitled ”So does it work” he opens with, “One thing I have learned from all the hype about the internet is there is a lot of hype”, if that statement doesn’t reek of naivety, or defensiveness I don’t know one that does.

In mind Mr. Leibbrandt would have done himself and the publication a much greater service pointing out the benefits of “branding” that print offers, because when you compare the internet and print dollar for dollar there is no comparison. Print offers no way to effectively track Return on Investment , is far more expensive than the web, offers little to no accurate statistics about who “actually” even saw your ad, etc, etc, etc…

I am a firm believer that all media has a “definitive place in a well rounded marketing program”, and understand print publications frustrations with a shrinking market share (as savvy Marketing Directors shift advertising dollars to the internet) year after year to the exploding market share of the internet, but perhaps publications would be better off identifying their value to their clients as opposed to resorting to defensive articles that illustrate their own naiveté of the internet.

I could go on and on but my point is, for traditional media interested in “slamming the web” as an effective tool for marketing, “do yourself a favor, at least make a credible argument?”

Get a static 468 x 60 banner is this forum, Click Here for Fishing Banner Ads

Mike H
BFT Staff

Re: [theangler] My 2 cents on this months "Tackle Trade World" article entitled "Webistes- the answer to our prayers? In reply to
Yes, print media has its place (but that place is shrinking fast). Here in Seattle, we just lost one of our 2 major newspapers. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer converted to an online-only, much reduced in size, publication. They laid off hundreds of workers, kept a couple dozen to run the online version.

Now, we only have the Seattle Times. It's only a matter of time before this happens all over the country. I cancelled my subscription to the Times a couple months ago to save some $$$, and haven't really missed it. I get all my news online.

Smart advertisers advertise on the web, where they detailed statistics about the number and demographic of their audience. Even TV ratings system doesn't come close to giving the detailed information that online advertising gives you.

Your Fishing Webmasters Moderator

Utah Fishing Information - Get Info on Utah fish species and waters

Register for BigFishTackle - it's FREE and easy!

Re: [cat_man] My 2 cents on this months "Tackle Trade World" article entitled "Webistes- the answer to our prayers? In reply to
Not that we're biased or anything! Cool

But still, the facts are the facts.

Re: [cat_man] My 2 cents on this months "Tackle Trade World" article entitled "Webistes- the answer to our prayers? In reply to
"Not that we're biased or anything"

LOL, I here you but like you said the truth is the truth, nonetheless when I wrote this I almost felt like putting a disclaimer "Although I had a long career in print media, I now exclusively work online".

Hey are you a member of our linkedin group ( Online Outdoors Industry Professionals Group) if not we would love to have you:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=38469

Get a static 468 x 60 banner is this forum, Click Here for Fishing Banner Ads

Mike H
BFT Staff

Re: [theangler] My 2 cents on this months "Tackle Trade World" article entitled "Webistes- the answer to our prayers? In reply to
Ya, I am a member, thanks.