Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > General Discussion : Offroading >

Trucks :size does it matter?

fishing fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Trucks :size does it matter?
well as the title says lol.......im in need of gettin my own pickup the only question i have is which is better a big truck or a small pick up.... im looking into getting an older dodge ram(95-2000) or a chevy s-10 (xtreme preferably) i dont like the ford f-150 my company gave me the f-150 triton xtended cab i dont wanna feel like im driven to work all the time lol so info and opinions
Re: [soloone87] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
It really depends partner. The biggest question to ask yourself is "what do you plan on using your truck for?" In other words, are you going to be hauling a 5000 pound boat, or just hauling your rear end and a few fishing poles? With that said, if you don't need something to pull a heavy load, get the smaller truck with better gas mileage. If you plan on pulling large loads, then you're going to need a larger truck.

Me, personally, I have a 4 door chevy full size. But, I also have a 21 foot boat to haul up and down the ramp. If it wasn't for my big boat, i'd have a smaller truck. You can still pull quite a load with a small truck, and the gas mileage can save you hundreds of dollars a month depending on how much driving you do. Cool

Bryan Draper

Your Saltwater and South Carolina Moderator

http://www.catchemcreekoutfitters.com

Re: [Tarpon4me] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
it would be for a smaller boat mabye 13-15 feet nothing 2 big lol and not huge either ill take a pic of it tommrow and post it up thats if i can get the guy to sell it to me for a low fee..... its been kept in my back yard for about 8 years and never taken out due to motor problems.... so its got some wear and tear from the weather but an easy tlc repair and a motor shop visit and its good 2 go
Re: [solo_one87] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
Get R' Done! Wink

Bryan Draper

Your Saltwater and South Carolina Moderator

http://www.catchemcreekoutfitters.com

Re: [solo_one87] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
I tried to pull my new Lund with my Sonoma last year and it was a joke. I did buy a dodge dakota last jan and it pulls the boat just fine with their 6 cyclinder. Because of the price of gas going back up, I put the GMC back on the road. If you need to haul more than 1500lbs the 1/4ton won't make the grade.

Fishemen will change the future! Your NC. moderator and sometime CT.

Be Green-Buy Fur

Re: [gdn443] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
ya, if you try that on some of the ramps here in michigan you are liable to end up in the drink with the tinker trucks...

yep my doge dakota is a tinker truck..

If the Lord's willing, You'll be Blessed.
Re: [soloone87] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
I love me extend cab Chevy 1500 its right in the middle.
I still average 16 if I am running it at 75 to 80 mph.
If I just cruising it at 65 which is rarely Ill average 19 mpg.
I pull my 18 ft boat and have no problems.
when I am pulling Ill still average 14 mpg..
In real life I am right there with the little trucks on mpg and still get the room of a full size.. with v8 power.
If your practicing CNR keep your freaking hands out of the gills..
Re: [Warchild] Trucks :size does it matter? In reply to
there is an unbeleivable differance between a half ton pick up and a quarter ton pick up like the dakota or S-10. Pulling an 18 foot boat would just eat up the transmitions of the little trucks not to mention what it would do to the breaks and suspention...

If the Lord's willing, You'll be Blessed.