Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Park in August?
I'll be spending a week up in Island Park in August for a family vacation. I have a couple of questions for ya'll that I hope you can help me out with. I've never there before, but I know there are a ton of amazing places to fish! I'm not sure where to start or what to make sure I hit while I'm up there. I consider myself a novice flyfisherman, but I have a good 5 weight flyrod with floating line. I also have 3 boys (8, 6, and 3 years old) that I'd like to get out with me. I won't have a boat, but will probably rent one on one of the lakes up there.

So my questions:
I'd like to get out a couple of times by myself. Where would you recommend? Is there anywhere I "need" to experience while up there? Rivers vs. Lakes?

Second question: Where would be a good place to take my boys? I'd just like them to have a great time with a really good chance of catching some fish. We'd love to have a fish fry at least once while we're up there.

Any recomendations on tackle/techniques?

Any suggestions would be welcome. PMs are fine if you'd rather. I've looked back through some of the more recent reports on Henrys and IP and learned some great info already.

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
To me August is a tough month up there. Henry's is really warm and the fish can be stressed. Island Park can be good but I would go with bait and really early or late unless you have deep sinking fly lines. The buffalo river can be good for kids fly fishing. I would also check out the many creeks in the area with dry flies. Warm river can be good and is stocked regularly. It's possible to catch fish in all the famous places i.e. "The Ranch," or Box Canyon it just depends on your level of expertise and commitment.

For kids I would think high country creeks.

Windriver
[signature]
Thank you for the info!
[signature]
With the kids I'll second the buffalo river. I've always done fairly well about 1/4-1/2 mile upstream from where it dumps into the box canyon below Island Park dam. I usually use smaller panther martin or rooster tail spinners there and do reasonable. Fly rod can be tricky d/t not a lot of back cast room. Other than that I'd just try different things. Box canyon is always worth seeing if not catching at least. Also if you want to just see some big fish but don't care about catching them take a drive to Big Springs (behind Macks in or Island Park resort. its a loop) and there are some big fish there, but it's closed to fishing for a little more than a mile downstream from there.
[signature]
There were no fish at Big springs last year . There were fish at the feeding area on Warm River .
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]