Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Introductions : Fishing Beginners Board >

Need help on how to reel in a fish

Report Post | Register to Reply
Need help on how to reel in a fish
I have no one to teach me and my son fishing so having learn off you tube, lol. We gave it a shot today but I had a problem so need help figuring out the problem.

We have 2 combo spinning fishing rods (one salt, one fresh, one cheap, one a bit better). I'm not really after a certain type of fish. Just want to catch a few and let them go for my 10 year old to have fun.

So today I was using playdough (recommended by Bass pro salesman) a small hook he gave me and a bobber. I caught a huge catfish (I thought they were bottom so maybe it was shallow since I had a bobber on).

Anyway, he was big. I did not know about drag. I could see my real giving out and didn't know what to do. Eventually he tired and I got him to the surface but it took forever. I can see now researching that it was too lose drag). Anyway, once he was at the surface I could see he was about 13-14 inches maybe. My reel would not lift him off the water. It just kept spinning. The fish was so tired he wasn't even struggling LOL. So I started playing with knobs and found the drag knob and tightened it all the way. At this point it didn't give out anymore....BUT I couldn't turn the handle either! Is that because he was too heavy or because I tightened that knob?

In the end I threw on gloves and hand pulled the line up. He then fell off (likely because the hook was small and he was friggin heavy!) Truthfully I was relieved because I was afraid to handle a catfish that big. The hook stayed on the real.

I saw videos on how to set the drag. What I don't get is why I couldn't turn the handle anymore to get him up. What do you do when you get too heavy of a fish?
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Mirra] Need help on how to reel in a fish In reply to
I use my fish net. Tighten your drag just enough to give you good residence when you pull on the line.

Fishemen will change the future! Your NC. moderator and sometime CT.

Be Green-Buy Fur