Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Misc. Fishing Forums : Fishing Boats >

Motor question

fishing fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Motor question
Hello. I have a Meyers Laker 14'. The boat weighs in at 125lb ( .50 gauge aluminum )...wonderfully light weight.

I thought I could afford a 5hp motor, but it looks as though I cannot at this time...and I'm darn tired of rowing.

We take this boat out onto the small lakes here in western Washington; Cassidy, Stevens, Flowing, Cushman, Washington, Beaver, Boyd, Menzel, Armstrong, Serene, Goodwin, etc. We rarely go out when the wind is up.

So my question is, would I be able to get around with a 55lb thrust electric motor? The reason why I mentioned the 55lb thrust is because it is the largest motor that supports a 12volt battery.

Your input is much appreciated.
Re: [dea] Motor question In reply to
I forgot to ask about a 2hp gas motor...would this be a better option then the 55lb thrust motor? I can afford a 2 or 2.5hp motor.

Once again, your input is much appreciated.
Unless you need the electric motor to fish with, like bass fishing. I'd go for the gas motor.It should move you along better and last longer.

Fishemen will change the future! Your NC. moderator and sometime CT.

Be Green-Buy Fur

that electric motor will move you around good,but as gdn443 posted i would agree with him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my biggest worry is that my wife(when i die)will sell my fishing gear for what i said i paid for it
koos brandt
Hi my name is Paulpro, I bought mine new and has lasted like 10years with no maintenance,or look for two used 30lb thrust,and hook up both to a 29 maxx batt,and you should get say 2,1/2 miles total trip ,I'm estimating,see I get say 5 miles total distance with little wind,using 29 maxx 54motorguide,this is on my 10' jonboat,If your not going far, I get away with sm car batt,I fix a piece of wire to terminals then just twist on wires to motor,try a hose clamp,cause I had tape melt already..you can find a small car batt for each motor and get 1mile total trip.I use this tiny car batt,sometimes for real short trips,I was surprised how much quicker the boat felt too with the lighter batt.Here are some pics of my batt,including the sm car batt.Trolling motor is much more reliable,unless you are buying the gas motor new,if used I would stay away from it,when it comes to gas motors as a rule of thumb you should never buy used,you just don't know what they been through,some may of had a hard life,unless you plan on spending alot of money on a used motor,thats what my nephew had to end up doing,spending alot to fix his,thats the only reason I'm buying it from him,its been overhualed,check my vid to see how you think its running.

A Bass a Day Keeps the Doctor Away..
Protect Florida's natural resources recycle and Fish for the Future!
image/jpeg IMG_0179.JPG (176 KB)
image/jpeg IMG_0209.JPG (256 KB)
text/html Paulpro vid.htm (93.0 KB)
(This post was edited by Paulpro on Jul 27, 2011, 1:01 PM)
I have also a question ? Is there any internet , wifi service available on boat i plan to visit dhow cruise dubai ? Fish On
I have a 2.6 HP coleman on my inflatable pontoon. My weight is about the same as yours. Loaded I am probably at 400 to 450. Here is a video of my boat with the 2.6 hp. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/...=channel&list=UL
Re: [dubaisafari1234] Motor question In reply to
dubaisafari1234 wrote:
I have also a question ? Is there any internet , wifi service available on boat i plan to visit dhow cruise dubai ?

LOL!! you never learn do you

Have you read my Blog? I hear it's getting better!

http://redneckflyfishing.blogspot.com/

I have both motors, and luv them both,

how ever, it dose take me a tank of gas to get across my lake, and another to get me back. on the other hand, my battery wont get me back and forth..

both idle slow enough to target any fish I like, the gas gets me there faster...

the down side is when I refuel there is a chance of spilling, so if you go with gas, be sure to get a proper can that can deliver gas with out spilling.

If the Lord's willing, You'll be Blessed.
Re: [davetclown] Motor question In reply to
I am with you Clown. We have a 14' aluminum boat with a Honda 9.5, but also a 45 lb thrust. We use the electric motor a lot. Plus you can have problems with gas motors. Hear people all the time trying to start them. Electric is hook and go.
I won't go out without both.

Copyright © 1996-2015 First Light Net All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
First Light Net, a trademark of Predatorial Advertising Associates, L.L.C.
SEO By Infront Webworks - Colorado Springs, Co