Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Misc. Fishing Forums : Fishing Boats >

Trolling Motors

fishing fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Trolling Motors
I purchased a 20' pontoon boat about three months ago and am now considering a trolling motor. There are soooo many! What would be a corredt size for this use? Many thanks for any input...

Re: Trolling Motors In reply to
i have a 20ft. crestliner and i use a 9.9 mercury 4-stroke, it runs great and is nice and quiet and has more than enough power to push my boat at the trolling speeds that i use. even when it's a little rough. i would think that would be sufficient for your pontoon boat. i would also invest in an ez-steer which connects both motors so you can steer it from your steering wheel, hope that helps.

I have a 20 foot Pontoon with a motor guide with about 30 lbs. of thrust. It works ok but i would get a stronger motor if I replaced it. When the winds blows the motor can is not strong enough to move the boat the way I like it

Depends on what type trolling you do. I troll for crappie and rockfish(striper) from a 19' Crestliner and have had outstanding results from the Minn Kota Power Drive system. They are available in sizes to suit any use and can be controlled from anywhere in the boat via the 18' control cable. I've found these systems to be dependable and if you really want to go all the way get one with the auto pilot. If you fish alot by yourself this is the ticket. Make sure you get the long shaft for use on a pontoon. And - no I don't work for Minn Kota - just impressed by the product.