Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Strawberry, Scofield, Starvation Fish Report Arch >

Strawberry Reservoir 12/18

fishing
(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Strawberry Reservoir 12/18
What a day @ Strawberry. We initially planned to fish Chicken Creek but ended up at a spot we don't want to post so the lurkers wont hoard our HOT SPOT. BFT'ers feel free to PM me for info.

Met up with Mike @ 6:30 AM and we started our way to Strawberry. We arrived around 7:45AM and found the entire lake iced over. We radio'd for Geoff and got a reply, he had already hit the ice and already landed a nice 19 incher. We met up at the undisclosed spot and began giving the fish there early morning feast.

We all had a great day with many hits and alot of HUGE ones lost at the hole including a monster sized 26 or so inch rainbow that was sneaky enough to spit out the jig at Mike after making several passes showing off its huge head, HUGE girth and brilliant colors. Geoff I think finished with 8 fish all ranging from 17-20 inches, Mike with 12 or 13 with a nice 22 incher and I finished with a whopping 17 fish with a 22 incher and finishing with a 23 incher. What a day, we watched everyone around us and noticed they weren't catching nearly as many as us but did get to see a huge 26 incher taken by a happy angler and a couple bows.

Overall action was spotty at times and quick the next. We all worked the same area so when the bites slowed to a halt we would move a few yards away and begin again then returning to the hot spots for another run a hour or two later.

Best success was with Chartreuse Ginz Worm jig heads with small 1 inch glow in the dark jigs tipped with wax worms.

It is amazing on how consistant you can land HUGE trout at this lake, we really had alot of monsters caught and some bigger ones lost at the hole cause they wouldn't fit thru it or we couldnt get them still enough to line there head up with the hole.

Below is Mike's first entry for the ice challenge, a nice 22 inch Cutthroat.

I caught this one about mid-day.

Great weather! Great company and one hell of a day on a excellent fishery! Thanks Mike and Geoff for great company!

- CBR
(This post was edited by CBR on Dec 18, 2004, 7:11 PM)
Re: [CBR] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
nice report guys. looks like you had a fantastic day at the berry.
glad to see you get into some good size fish.
was there alot of other fisherman on the lake
Re: [ironworker] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
Not many, I don't think word has gotten out yet about it being iced over. But I think this report should take care of that like most reports here do.

- CBR
sorry about that picture of the wally. playing around with the icons.
great report from the berry. glad to see its safe now. glad to see you guys getting some really nice fish.
that's good but like you say next weekend should be a full house up there. and i will probably be in the middle of them all.
Great report,day,fish and pictures.
Many thanks
pop
Sounds like it was an awesome day! Thanks for the report CBR.
Re: [ironworker] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
We have decided to hit Soldier Creek on the 26th and maybe a stop to the hot spot aswell if soldier creek doesn't pan out like we planned.

Theres alot of ice to cover and alot of fish in the lake so no worries, if it is contact fishing thats fine by me as long as noone tries to steal my hole. :)

- CBR
CBR- You must have only seen the lake at Mud Creek or Chicken Creek. I fished Soldier Creek today, the bay just off the highway, 9" of good ice but the main lake is still soft water!! THE WHOLE LAKE IS NOT ICE!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!! Don`t think your going to run your machine accross the BERRY unless you have an air boat. If you drive the highway from the main marina to soldier you will see nothing but open water on the main lake. If anyone plans on crossing the lake on ice you better give it three weeks (+/-).
Re: [hookemup] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
Good to know, From where I saw it looked solid thru!

How was your success at SC?

- CBR
CoolWow, this report has been up for an hour and already 78 views! You lurkers really need to join bft. You are missing out on a lot of cool fishing partners, and much more!

Anyhooters, Craig and Mike, once again, today was a blast even if the fishing was a little slower for me then I would have liked, the fish were certainly bigger than at Scofield, and today ROCKED!! I can't wait to get back up there! For those wondering, there was 8 inches of good solid ice, but that might not be the way it is everywhere on the lake. However, from where we were, all we could see was ice for as far as the eye could see. As previously mentioned, we will not disclose our location today, but those with a lot of experience on that lake can probably guess it from the pictures. Let's just say we were around the marinaTongue. Bft'rs with more than 10 posts can send us a pm for more specifics.

One thing that was very apparent to us today is that the new regulations are definitely working there. There are quite a few monsters in there already, and next year there will be more. So for those of you guys following the rules up there-a big thanks is in order, and for those morons that keep fish in the slot, well stick it where the sun don't shine!!!

The future for the berry looks AWESOME!!!!

Skunk happens when you fish with Mike!

BRING ON THE ICE, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

walleye

(This post was edited by Out4Trout on Dec 18, 2004, 9:00 PM)
Nice Report guys , I heard that it capped at Sportsmans today . Should be good next week if the cold air comes in .

CBR- fishing was slow, a few bow`s and cutt`s , (one deformed with whirling disease). I think Ill go back to Scofield next week , it was lights-out last saturday.
Thanks to y`all who keep this priceless info coming!
Re: [Out4Trout] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
CoolOh yeah, one other thing. When I drove by Jordanelle it was dark this morning, but CBR informed me the when he and mikecromaine drove by it, they could see ice on it, so it looks like it's capped. Don't know the thickness yet, but hey-at least it finally has ice!

walleye

Nice catch guys. Had a few successful days like that in the summer, I'm hoping it will continue into the winter as well.

Don't forget your readable tape measure in the ice fishing contest.
Re: [MGB] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
They sure are nice fish . I glad you brought up the tape measure thing . I hope they read the rules . I will post some pics from last year that should give them the idea from last year .

image/jpeg 20cutt.jpg (81.1 KB)
image/jpeg 19icebrown.jpg (67.5 KB)
Re: [MGB] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
Doh, guess I will start over next week @ the berry with the tape measure.

- CBR
Re: [Out4Trout] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
"Bft'rs with more than 10 posts can send us a pm for more specifics."

I tell you what I used to think this was a quality site. But now it really looks like it going down hill. Who cares if they sign up on BFT. If you don't want people to know about you trip than don't post. I hate to say but it sounds like this site is getting a little stuck up.

Our fishing future depends on Selective Harvest!
Re: [SKEETER2] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
this is still the best and highest quality site there is any where here in utah!! it just if your a member for a long time on this site you will know that giveing out your exact location will only mean 20 to 30 people there next time you want to go..

so what they are saying is that they would like to know them better if there going to share they fishing with them...

i'm the same way i like to know my fishing buddys... and I dont realy want to know the A-hole's that come down thinking they own the lake and can just punch a hole 3 feet from me and think i wont mind!!

dude on fish?
Ron

Ron

artificial intelligence is no mach for my natural stupidity

He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.
Re: [fuzzyfisher] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
it's not even that I mind giving up my info when I have it, but it's give and take. I'm happy to give up a few good tips on a body of water I have figured out if I know they are going to someone that that is willing to return the favor. As far as I'm concerned the lurkers are more than welcome to my information, I would just like to here about there experiences, tips, and tactics as well. The more active members the board has the stronger it is and more helpful it is for everyone involved.

Give a man a fish and you can feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you will never see him again.
Re: [fuzzyfisher] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
I have to agree that posting your spot would only have the "Doug Miller Outdoors" effect on your spot. We had a wonderful little bow hunting spot near SLC that was part of the extended unit. Almost crazy the Elk and Deer in that canyon... year after year... then, through a mutual friend, eventually Doug Miller did a show up there on late season bow hunting. The spot.. is now worthless and more people hit that canyon every year than animals combined all year!

With that in mind, I'd say share your spots with those you trust and possibly want to fish with. I find the BFT to be the best resource by far and it's my 1st stop to find out conditions, general fishing updates, etc. I honestly don't expect anyone to give out each spot everytime, but enjoy knowing a lake is fishing well or has safe ice and list goes on.

F4F
Here we go again! A guy can't win around here sometimes. You post where you go and what you do and somebody slams you about giving out all the secrets. You provide very minimal details and offer to share with folks and get ripped for being too selfish or stingy or you post nothing and give no info that helps and folks scream for info and how ineffective "the site" is because no one will share! Ah, you got to love it...

Just some food for thought, "the site" is nothing more than a conglomeration of the collective thoughts of its members. Without "us" there is no site. But since not everybody is the same, it only makes sense that each individual uses the site as they see fit and you know what? That's OK!

Respecting each others way of doing things is the only way a site like this works. Good healthy debate on mind stimulating subject ok but when it gets past that then "the site" does slide downhill. Look at UFF.

So, to some it up, you do your thing, everyone does theirs, we communicate in all the avenues made possible by "the site". and we find a way to make it work. If a guy offers to share than you can make the decision to ask or not. If a guy decides not to share their experiences except through private conversation with friends or through PMs then the site is working for them as they see fit to use it. Let's just respect each other's way of doing things.

Glad to see you here, SKEETER2! How you been spending your time chasing fish? I know you well enough that you're doing pretty good somewhere!
I thought i would add my 2 cents worth here. Now i don't mind helping someone out, or letting them on what is working so long as they do the same. proff there was a young man out thereon the ice with his father and another gentelman that didn't seem to catch anything. The young man came over and ask what was working i showed him and gave him a set up. a little later he had one i was so happy.
now the part about stealing my hole. CRaig is so bad at doing that very thing. I nailed a fish in a new hole craig ran over to help me so i thought to help me land the fish thou the hole. well he did and as i was taking the hook out he put his rod in my dang ice hole. He stole my icehole it was all good thou i just made a new one and that hole is where i hooked that monster rainbow that got away.
Get day out on the lake with good freinds!!!!
Sorry about the late post When i got home i ate dinner and crashed till 10 am this morn. i didn't sleep friday nite so i was pretty tried after a great day on the lake.

Remember it's the strange people that change the world. People that look at life thou different eyes then those of the norm. YOU KNOW THE SO CALLED FREAKS...

CoolI would add my rebuttle here, but don't really need to as the others have pretty much said what I was thinking on the subject.

Good fishing to ya, SKEETER2, and don't be a stranger.

walleye

Re: [mikecromaine] Strawberry Reservoir 12/18 In reply to
        Under "Combat Fishing" rules, it is ok to snake a friend(or partner's) hole when they are pulling out a fish, rebaiting, eating lunch, or taking a nap. It is not ok to remove someone elses rod/setup to snake their hole(this is punishable with extreme predjustice, including up to death). Always refer to Rule 22(or catch 22), everything is legal as long as you can get away with it. Or, Darwinistic Approach-the bigger person is always right, unless someone badder is aroundCool .

2 time California escapee
> >