Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Contests >

2019 Cat Contest Comments Post

fishing
Ice Fishing Jigs
(Page 2 of 10)
> > > >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [Ahi1953] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
John, nice start for this year. 28.5 / 29.0 either one would make me happy.
Had same results you did Friday.........not even a Bull Head nibble.
If I read that right, you got the same number of cats as we did on day one. I don't feel quite as bad now!

I hope my second outing finds one as big as yours though, Way to start off the year!
Hey John nice first fish. I’ll try to get those fish scored today. Nice job. Jeff
Re: [SkunkedAgain] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
Hey Jeff do we need to send you a pic of the bump board ruler we will be using. I bought a 40" ruler off amazon with a bump on it and wondering if I need to get you a pic of it for clearance. To use.

Respect the fish!
Re: [Mooseman75] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
Yup, please send me a photo with a tape measure lined up next to it so I can verify that everything is good to go... I wish I had a 40" ruler to cover my cat this year... Well maybe a 24" one would work for me, but it sounds like a great one... Thanks for asking... Jeff
Hey Jeff, I'm still working on my new bump board. But I found a really nice Swanson Metal 48" ruler about 2" wide. Bright yellow, large black numbers. Gonna keep that one on the boat. Takes up lot less space.
New bump board: I've borrowed an idea I got from John. Wanted to have a larger filleting board to take to the river in my truck. Was initially intended just as something to cut up carp for bait without getting blood all over the tail gate. But it kinda morphed into something I hope to have multi task abilities. Took a clip off of an old cracked plastic fillet board I had. Bolted it to a piece of particle board I had in the shed about 40" long by 18" wide. Then put 4 very thick coats of exterior enamel on it to seal the wood. Have added 2 36" adhesive backed fish tapes bought at Sportsman's, one on each edge. I have been coating the whole board with spray on quick dry polyurethane, got about 12 coats on it as of last night. Soon as I can get some decent outside light in the afternoon, I'll get some photos to send ya for blessing.
Re: [Tin-Can] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
Sounds really nice.... look forward to the pictures... Jeff
Jeff here is that pic of my aluminum bump board ruler I bought.

Respect the fish!
I don’t see a picture did you forget to attach it? Sounds like a great scale. Thanks Jeff
Ya I’m a idiot here’s the pic

Respect the fish!
Looks good to me, go ahead and use it and find one to max it out.... Later J
I was going to buy the 32" board but then I thought with my luck one of us would catch a 32.5" or 33"er and the 40" was $2 cheaper. So I thought what the heck. I hope we can put something big on it

Respect the fish!
(This post was edited by Mooseman75 on Mar 7, 2019, 9:10 AM)
I'd gladly accept the kind of bad luck that causes me to catch a cat over 32". Wink
My luck would be to catch one that couldn't be measured on the other end of your board.
Re: [gaardvark] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
What's your guess??

So... as I sit and stare out the window at falling snow, ravaged by the cravings of cataholicism, I ponder this years contest. Who will walk off with the top cat? Will the north prevail again or will the south rise from the depths of two years of defeat?

Here’s my guess: I see Ahi being very tough to beat as he seems to have the bigguns’ dialed in. Also, there are some tough catters on the north team who have been rather quiet for the past couple of years. Tough competition up that way.

For the south, the top catter appears to be Ice-Sled but he has some pretty good back up catters to help the south hit a new high. We have a good supply of new participants in the south and among them probably lies a supper-catter. Time will tell. Best of all for the south is that it appears we will have enough water so get us through the entire contest. Yeah!!

If memory serves, the top cat since the annual contest began is a 33 incher?? I believe this year will produce the first cat over 35 inches; lots of participants, good water levels, and an abundance of cataholics, with good weather not too far away.

So what’s your guess for top catter and biggest fish his year??

Best of luck to all and lets have some fun!

BLK
Re: [Boatloadakids] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
There are some very large cats out there. The odds are good
I like your optimism! I thought about that a bit last year and I'm with you, I think somebody is due for one of the really big ones. In the 10 years since I moved back to UT, I have see 2 UL cats get publicity, like the local paper. One was about 22 pounds and was reportedly caught somewhere in Mud Lake. The other was 17, I think and 37 inches long. The "spot" was not revealed, but the background showed rip rap like the dikes on most of the harbors have. I seem to recall the last one was very early in the season, like March or early April.

I know that there are good catter's that don't go public, but I think it is about time someone in the contest got one like that.

There is also a relatively untapped resource for the south team at Lake Powell. Last time I looked the lake record there was 24 lbs. Most people there catch cats on dinner scraps off the back of their houseboats and I don't think there is much real cat hunting down there. I hope to find out in early May, as a friend and I are planning to chase crappie and walleye.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a big year for someone. I hope it's team south!
(This post was edited by Piscophilic on Mar 7, 2019, 3:29 PM)
I just checked some things from last year. By the end of March there were 23 cats entered plus two little ones by Ahi and SkunkedAgain. They also led the contest. Ahi had the longest a 29.5" followed by SkunkedAgain and Pisco who had 29"ers. Ice_man had three on the board and was in third place BLK was right between ice_sled and Pisco with a 27 and a 26. Interestingly the teams were tied at 260.5 each at that point. If I were a betting man I would put my money on one of those guys to catch the big one or win the contest this year. I just wanted to show what could be done in March if you went for it. Of course there are some stars up north that will give them a real run for their money but they started in later last year so they don't show up in March. Heck, I didn't even join BFT until April 9 and caught my first cats on May 16. Getting an earlier start this year and expect to do well (for me) again.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
((°> ~ ~ }<((((°> ~~ }<(((((°> ~ ~ }<((((°> ~ ~ }<((((°>
~~~}<(((((((((°< ><=;> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ }<((((°>

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton
Hey Lynn, I want to guess too... I'd say it's going to be really hard to beat the guys that have time to get out often... Therefore, I think you and John are towards the tops of my list of who could do it again... As far as size goes, as many fish over 30" that John pulled in, now I don't know if he kept or released them, but if he put them back, I'd say he has a good chance of breaking the 33" contest record by bottomwatcher... There was a good bunch of big fish there in the lower Bear last year, so I'd suspect the North's biggest fish will come from there... I don't expect many will catch fish over 32", but I do think it is possible and I bet that the big one will come from a relatively unknown catter out for a once or twice a year trip... Just my guess... but seems like lightning strikes the unexpected... I think most of us will have a hard time breaking the 30" mark as usual but hopefully a few more of us will reach that level this year... I was happy to see Derek do it last year... I keep hoping to get one of those during the contest period myself... I think that really big class of 12"ers in Cutler last year will hopefully be big enough to get ahold of the hook this year, so there will be less frustration with missed hits, but expect they won't be over 16" so probably not good cookie cutters yet, but starting to get interesting... And last of all I hear rumors of Cutler being drained this fall, so those that fish Cutler will need to make plans for that in the tail end of the contest... Later Jeff
Ok, it has been a while since I have been in this contest. Or, maybe it is just too much mercury, but what thread do we post our cat enteries too?
Re: [Halfastfisher] 2019 Cat Contest Comments Post In reply to
Halfastfisher wrote:
Ok, it has been a while since I have been in this contest. Or, maybe it is just too much mercury, but what thread do we post our cat enteries too?

In Utah contest... Create a new post Subject :2019 Catfish Contest (and you BFT handle)

This is where you will post your entries. hope this helps

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
SkunkedAgain wrote:
, now I don't know if he kept or released them, .. Later Jeff

All My Cats were sent back to their happy home. In fact I was thinking that a few may have been on my hook back in 2017.

whole different game this year. Cold out there.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Looks like John has told you what to do, if you need help finding the contest board let me know... Also go pull up somebody's post and look at it for an example of what to do... We aren't too strict, but if we follow these rules it makes my job of scoring much easier... Remember to put all your fish on the same post, just reply to your last entry and I'll score it there... Good luck... Jeff
Well I think there's a pretty good chance you'll continue to do well knowing you put that many tanks back in the pond... Be fun if a guy could tatoo or stamp a fish so you knew if you caught it before.. I got a couple over the years that I really wondered if I had caught them before...One had a weird yellow stripe into the green on its back... I got it at 23" and I'm about sure it was the same fish the next year around 25"... But most of them are hard to figure out how to identify them... I'd like to catch my 29's from last year again this year... They were fat tanks and so I'll bet they grew well over the year... I know they won't beat yours, but they might get me over 30".... I got a big ole one eye 29.5" after the contest ended a couple years ago that had a big gash in its back... I'd bet I could tell that fish if I caught it again... Got a tank bass that was one eyed there too... Funny you really don't catch the same fish very often though... Maybe they get smarter and don't bite a hook again.... Good luck John... Oh I got your dog tag for the trophy back... I need to get it to you sometime... I don't think it looks the same as the others, but it looks really nice... Be a cool trophy, maybe you could post a picture of that so everyone can see what the prize is for the top catter... If they can take it away from you... That will be tough to do... Thanks John... Later Jeff
Thanks guys for clearing up the posting questions. Now if I can catch a break in the snowy weather maybe I can catch a guppy or two.
(This post was edited by Halfastfisher on Mar 8, 2019, 6:58 PM)
It's sure a different year than last year... I was catching crawlers and channels this time last year... Looked for crawlers today and there's nothing showing at all, and the sloughs I fished are still covered with ice, so I'm not even wasting my time yet... but it won't be too long, little sunshine and some luck, we'll be in business... So you going to reclaim your trophy this year? They are catching some seriously small cats to win that one... Later Jeff
> > > >