Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Kayak Fishing

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing Lockett Lures Outlet fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Kayak Fishing
Just got a new fishing Old Town Vapor 10 kayak.Tried it for the first time on PV today.Just went for an hour or so to see how the stability and maneuverability was. It worked great and I even caught 2 smallies, all of four inches each. Just looking to see if there any other Kayakers out there with any advise.

Re: [Cksmith50000] Kayak Fishing In reply to
I have 2 Old Town 10 anglers... I love them.

my advice, install aftermarket rod holders that point straight up, the two factory ones have the angle that is great for trolling but is terrible if you are trying to move through vegetation. I also bought the "J" cradles to load and unload. I've got it down to about 10 minute. I also bought the fishin buddy fish finder. While it does a great job at the fish finding and sonar part... it will rattle back and forth at anything more than a leisurely row. I would spend the extra 100 and get an internal hull mounted unit. I found mounting instructions on you tube.... it is a pain but seems worth it. Lastly, with a weight of only 55lbs (unloaded) I have tried to take them to some off-the-beaten-path type places. the weight isn't the issue, it is the bulk and awkwardness. I am trying to come up with a sling or "back-rack" that I could lug them around with. The little two wheel trailers look like a good option. the below pics are a few places i would never have gone before I got them.

Happy fishing!

let me know a where and when and i will happily join you.

Re: [back2fish] Kayak Fishing In reply to
Howdy all. I happened to find this board while trying to find a hydrographic map for Willard Bay. (There don't seem to be any.) The thread with the early map showing artificial reefs is intriguing, though.

I think I may the only owner of a Hobie Pro Angler 14 kayak in Utah. So far, I've only used it at Willard and Mantua, but will definitely use it at Pineview, Jordanelle and others. Awesome craft, and the pedal drive is amazing.

Here it is, before some recent mods...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: [RockyRaab] Kayak Fishing In reply to
I am jealous! I want the ease of the foot drive! Did you get it?

I bought two of the anglers, because my wife thought she wanted to come on my fishing/kayak adventures.... she has come once. I could have got one of the hobie fishing kayaks.

How is the sight fishing sitting up a bit higher? Or is the angle still to low to see into the water well? Can you actually stand like the TV hosts and demos I've seen? I just assume they put in 40hrs a week on the water... I could learn to fish from a floating log with that amount of time.

Re: [back2fish] Kayak Fishing In reply to
They come with the Mirage Drive. You can see the pedals sticking up just over the right gunwale there. I take the drive out to beach it, to avoid damage.

Yes, you can easily stand unless the waves are up.. Stable as a dock, almost.

I raised my seat almost 4" but not for better sight. It was to improve my leg angle to the pedals and also to make it easier to stand up. Great and easy mod using just a couple pieces of 2x4.

The nearest Hobie dealer is in Burley, BTW. No closer place to get a Hobie unless you have one shipped in. That would be expensive! Maybe that's why I may be the only owner of one in Utah.

Nm, took a closer look at your pic and i can see that you do have the mirage drive... How is the maneuverability? Can you row backwards when fighing a fish or if yuou just need too? can you reach full rowing speed? And last question.. how shallow of water can you maneuver through with the paddles up and hand rowing?

thank you for sharing RR

How random.. I have in-laws in Burley.. maybe time for a visit Wink

I really like the Hobie Mirage drive. My son and I have used them in the Keys and southern Everglades a few times. It handles very well in fairly windy and rough conditions. The hands free except steering is great. I'm just curious if you also tried out the Native Watercraft pedal kayaks? The weights aren't as heavy and they do have the ability to pedal in reverse that the Mirage lacks.

RockyRaab wrote:
They come with the Mirage Drive. You can see the pedals sticking up just over the right gunwale there. I take the drive out to beach it, to avoid damage.

Yes, you can easily stand unless the waves are up.. Stable as a dock, almost.

I raised my seat almost 4" but not for better sight. It was to improve my leg angle to the pedals and also to make it easier to stand up. Great and easy mod using just a couple pieces of 2x4.

The nearest Hobie dealer is in Burley, BTW. No closer place to get a Hobie unless you have one shipped in. That would be expensive! Maybe that's why I may be the only owner of one in Utah.

Allow me to correct you.
Sid Sports, 265 east 3900 south is a Hobie dealer and has several boats in stock.
Sid has been around SLC for a long time, sailing, Kayaks, rafts and skiing.

Re: [Troll] Kayak Fishing In reply to
Here's 2 of my 4.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Re: [Troll] Kayak Fishing In reply to
Correction gratefully accepted. Sid Sports isn't listed by Hobie as a dealer, but if they carry Hobie stuff it would sure be a shorter drive than to Burley.

Thanks!

Mirage drive has no reverse but I find it only a minor drawback. I find the pedal action almost effortless and the speed matches what I'd get walking with whatever leg speed I'm using. A perfect 1 mph walleye troll is like a slow stroll.