Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth
I started out at Electric Lake at 6:15 and fished until 10:45 in my tube. It was great to see the pond full again. I used fly tackle and only managed to get a couple of cutthroats in the net. I had a few other fish on but not many. I caught the fish on a bead head red leech with a fast sinking line. The water temp was 60-61 degrees and the visibility was a good 10' in the water.

Got out and drove over to Gooseberry to check on it. I used a medium sinking line with several different flies. As long as I was stripping the fly in, it didn't seem to matter what kind of fly I used. All of the fish were recently stocked rainbows of the 11" - 12" variety. The water temp here was 65 degrees and the visibility was about 7'. I only fished for an hour and picked up 14 of the little buggers.

Went on down to Mammoth and fished from 1:00 until 3:00 when I got a good soaking. I used a fast sinking line and a size 6 bead head tan/green/pearl crystal bugger and managed to pick up three tigers from 13" - 18" long. I had several others on but I have a hard time getting tigers in the net for some reason. The water temp was 61 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 10'. The reservoir level is only down about a foot from full.

It was a fun day until I got soaked but it did cool things down.Wink
Re: [gofish435] Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth In reply to
Nice report and great pics! Looks like fun up there!
Good report on your whirlwind tour of the higher lakes,
Re: [Fishin_Fool78] Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth In reply to
Thanks.

It's a nice area with lots of options when you don't find willing fish at one location, move to another.Wink
Re: [1sthound] Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth In reply to
Thanks,

I really intended to fish Electric Lake all day but the fishing sucked and I hadn't been to Gooseberry since 2014. I was hoping to pick up a cutthroat or two in Gooseberry but no luck.Unsure
Nice pictures and reports. I love to fish that country (brings back fond memories fishing that area with my parents and grandparents). I will be back up there soon for my first trip of the year to Electric Lake.

“Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger.”
Franklin P. Jones
Great report--thanks!
Re: [kentofnsl] Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth In reply to
Thanks, Kent.

I forgot to mention that the deer flies were bad up there and Mammoth, not so much at Gooseberry. Depending on when you go they could be gone by then. They seem to have a short season up there.

I love that place too, I just wish the power company would let you launch tubes down near the dam. It's much closer for me and the area doesn't get fished as much as the upper end.

Good luck when you go!
Re: [_6x_] Electric Lake, Gooseberry, & Mammoth In reply to
Your welcome.
gofish435 wrote:

I forgot to mention that the deer flies were bad up there and Mammoth, not so much at Gooseberry. Depending on when you go they could be gone by then. They seem to have a short season up there.

Argh! Forgot about those nasty deer flies. Had several nasty bites on my hands after one trip to Electric Lake last year.

“Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger.”
Franklin P. Jones