Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Ice?
Does anyone have any news about ice conditions on FG? Is Lost Dog or Confluence ready yet?
Here is an update given by Ryno last week (Dec. 14)"... there's ice down just past the Cofluence, road 11. It was about 4-inches today with some significant pressure ridges. I'll feel a lot better about it after the low-highs forecasted this weekend!"
[signature]
I fished that little pond today.... And I saw some ice!!
[signature]
[quote roynut]Does anyone have any news about ice conditions on FG? Is Lost Dog or Confluence ready yet?[/quote]

This doesn't show those specific areas but will give you an idea of conditions overall [url "http://www.flaminggorgewebcams.com/"]http://www.flaminggorgewebcams.com/[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the report (even if it was second hand)! It sounds like there may be good ice at Lost Dog, if not the Confluence. I'm planning on going up there this Thursday--I'll post a report about what I find.
Thanks for the link. I think those webcams could come in handy.
[quote roynut]Thanks for the link. I think those webcams could come in handy.[/quote]

Yeah, if I wasn't afraid of the wrath my wife might inflict upon me I would seriously consider taking the boat up there for one last trip before it freezes over.
[signature]
I hear you. I consider myself a fairly hardcore fisherman, but the wrath of a wife can be a powerful influence on how hardcore I act. I envy the guys whose wife is also hardcore about fishing.
[quote roynut]I hear you. I consider myself a fairly hardcore fisherman, but the wrath of a wife can be a powerful influence on how hardcore I act. I envy the guys whose wife is also hardcore about fishing.[/quote]

Exactly!

That's why I look to date on a fishing website.

I was reading this post on Flaming Gorge Ice closely because I'll be fishing there. I was there Saturday and Sunday and it was cold, but I didn't get a chance to fish or I would have posted on the ice thickness. Secondhand information is it's not ice fishing time yet down Airport Road out of Manila. I did some work on a house there.
[signature]
Had a buddy fish fire hole today he said ice was 6.5 and the caught 28 trout and 2 burbot between 3 of them.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. I might just go there for 3 days as my new years party trip. New year resolute to fish a lot more and on the new year xD
[signature]
Just an update, but we fished Confluence today and it was 6.5 inches. Ice ends about 1/4 mile below there. Fishing for pups was good using glow grubs or tubes, tipped with sucker, on a 3/8oz head. Good luck!
[signature]
Excellent! Thanks for the update!

Did you get to the confluence by way of Lost Dog Rd or by going down NF-11? From your 12/14 post it sounded like the ice at the end of NF-11 was around 4" thick a week ago; is that still the case? I like the area at the end of NF-11, but it's a long haul back to Lost Dog if the ice there isn't thick enough.
I actually accessed the ice from the eastside, but there were anglers at the bottom of road 11. Good luck!
[signature]
Great! Thanks!
If you had to go to guess, how long till there is fishable ice at anvil draw? Fishable to me is 3 inches of clear. Heard lots about lost dog and confluence in the post. Anvil is about as South as I usually fish.
[signature]
Hard to say, I've seen years where it didn't freeze. On a good ice production year, I would guess mid-January?
[signature]
Well I went fishing yesterday and did pretty well. I fished in 65' of water at the extreme south end of the safe ice, which extends about halfway between the confluence cliffs and NF-11. The ice was 6" thick where I was near the middle of the channel near the edge of the ice.

Pup macs were kind of slow most of the day, but the rainbows were biting pretty well just under the ice. I caught one large mac, roughly 36" long and shaped like a spawning male salmon with the hooked jaws and humped back. I don't know how heavy because I didn't weigh it. I caught him about 15' down--I thought he was a rainbow when he showed up on the fish finder because he was so shallow. I caught him on a 1/8oz maribou jig with a small piece of sucker meat, which is what I had rigged up for rainbows.

On the approach to the lake (on NF-11) I could see that there is ice forming to the south, mostly along the shore, but it looked like most of the lake is still open water south of NF-11. It also looked like there was some ice stretching across the lake just south of NF-11, so maybe that area will freeze over in the next week or two.