Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay
In case you haven't decided yet and need a nudge, look at the weather outside today and then think what you want to do Saturday Morning... Fishing right? Well come join the BFT group at Willard Bay North Marina... We will be set up in the Pelican Bay Pavilion, this is the south one past the marina... It's a great location for this gathering... We will have food, prizes and show and tell from members and vendors... Plan on fishing all morning and we'll gather at the pavilion around noon and gather and BS and such for a couple hours after... If you want to go and would like to join other BFT'ers in a boat or have openings for other members let's try to line everyone up for a spot here... So reply to the post with what you're looking for (boat ride or rider) couple bucks for gas would likely be appreciated if someone offers to take you out, but I'll let you work that with your captian... If you want to join in on the food? Reply to the other post and let Jil know how many to plan on... It will be chili and fix'ens... Probably missed a lot of info, but this is a starting spot... See you there... Jeff
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Forecast calls for a little more wind than I like in my inflatedhunkarubber. I probably won't be fishing. But I do plan to do the social thing...and relight the pilot light in my heartburn with some chili.

In response to a couple of requests I will be bringing along a few kinds of jigs. Will also be bringing my lead melter and some molds to demo jig pouring.

And for those who wanna see a silly looking float tube setup I will have my Escape with all the PVC goodies and newest mods.

Look forward to seeing friends and making some new ones.

Oh yeah, TubeBabe can't make it. She is committed to being the designated grandma at a young family member's birthday party. Glad she takes care of that part of the fambly thing.

Re: [TubeDude] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Thanks Pat,
Been watching the wind myself and I thought it looked like not too bad until noonish, so I hope we won't be blown off.. I will be in the boat though, so that does a little better in the breeze... Looking forward to seeing your new lures... I'll bring some cash in case I need to trade ya some cash for a jig... Thanks J
I do accept cash...with 3 forms of ID.

Be careful, its a trap he knows once you start you cant stop,
He did it to me, a little sampler from the jig dealer to get me hooked on his stuff, now I cant stop,
its awfully good thoWink
O.C.F.D.
Will my BFT placard work?
Re: [MSM1970] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Yup those master fishermen know how to hook a customer don't they. I'm already on the dole. Looking forward to the new goodies. Later J
my forecast says 15-18 mph a little breezy for the toon . but Ive hooked wipers right there on pelican beach last year. Pat just bring a folding chair and some muscles and we'll out fish all the guys in the boats. WinkHappy

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Re: [Ahi1953] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
 "Pat just bring a folding chair and some muscles and we'll out fish"

Are the fish really that big and tough...or did you mean "mussels"? I eat those. Don't waste them by using them as bait. I know they work but I prefer to chase my prey rather than plunk down and "chuck and chance it". But I do recognize that the wipers have definitely shown an acceptance for seafood.
Re: [Ahi1953] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
I'm seeing 6-10 mph during the flotilla fishing hours, a little on the bumpy side for tubes and toons... Hope it's not that breezy but looks like we won't have glass... the 18 mph is in the afternoon, but I wouldn't want to be on the pond when it gets that windy... I think the 10 mph will be time to get off, that's around 11:00. If I'm reading the report right the wind will be out of the east and then shifting to SE... If so maybe the dike will keep the waves smaller on the east side so we can still fish... Guess we should of been there today... Later J
I have the boat and I have the gear. I just don't have the know how. I would love for someone who knows how to catch fish on Willard to join me if they would like. Ans even if you don't know how, I'll still take ya and we will live in misery together. PM me if your interested.

I've got 99 problems and fishing solves every one of them!
Protecttheharvest.com

Re: [whit210] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Thank you. We are going to launch around 6 ish and would be glad to give ya tips if we can. If you have a radio or walk i.e. talkie bring it and try channel 5. We'll try to com back and forth if anyone is finding anything. Thanks again. J
Great Get Together Jeff, you and Jil put on a great event, thanks for all the time you two spent working out all the details. Also I want to give a shout out to all the vendors that took the time to come out and those that donated prizes to the event. I might miss some here but Anglers Den gave out 10 & 20 dollar gift certificates and cards for 10% off anything in their store. True Blue donated half a dozen or more great prizes. As did Maniac lures. Protect the Harvest had many items donated to the cause too. Hope someone else jumps in here with all the other things that happened there including Float tubing and jig making by Tube Dude. Also want to give a shout out to JJannie for getting all the food items together, Thanks everyone for all you did to make this event a success.

BFT administrator and moderator
(This post was edited by wiperhunter2 on May 7, 2017, 10:24 AM)
Jeff, I guess I get to keep my "skunked fisherman" avatar a bit longer. Wife and I launched out of the North Marina just about 7:10 A.M. yesterday. Was quite windy for awhile, which actually was a blessing. Cuz soon as the wind started dying, the bugs were out in massive cloudsFrown. We trolled around the north area, bait fished a few spots, then trolled some more. Nothing but bugs. Wife had to be at work at 1 P.M. so we had planned to drop her at her vehicle about 11:30, then I would just go to the lunch area. But about 10:30 the bugs had gotten so bad, and I had and issue with my right eye from late Friday nite, we called it a day. I trailered the boat, and while she headed home to get ready for work, I got the boat back in storage, and made a stop at Layton Instacare. Pirate Doc there gave me some eye drops, and advised me to see my own doc on Monday. So gonna do that tomorrow. Sorry we missed the lunch part of the Flotilla. We did see Rocky both launching and recovering yesterday. And saw lots of boats I think recognized out on the water. I think I saw TD's Red Tube in the marina ? Hope everyone did well in the catching department. Fishin'
Re: [Tin-Can] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Bummer. Sorry about the skunk, the bugs and the eye situation. Also sorry I didn't get to see you and your wife.

The red craft in the marina was not mine. I brought mine to the feed...for show and tell...but I did not wet a line yesterday. Might not have caught any more than I did if I had. Lady Willard has been stingy with her kids lately.

It has been a while since I have joined in any BFT get togethers. I paid this one a visit after deciding not to launch my boat with the fore cast for wind. Wish I would have because there didn't seem to be much wind at all.

Met a few new people and a few old ones too. Won some good stuff too. There were a few tricked out tubes there that I thought might be in the raffle drawing. But they never did include them in the drawing ... bummer. Oh well.

I have often wanted to meet RonPaulFan in person. Good to see you there.

Some guy by the name of Rocky claims to have fished with me at Strawberry. Danged if I know the guy. Tongue

Thanks for the good food too. You all who brought it, know who you are and it was right tasty.

Thanks for everything guys and gals!

--- Coot ---

"Fishing isn't a matter of life or death.
It's much more important than that."

Re: [Old_Coot] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
30 to 40 mph wind gusts about an hour after the lunch ended. They lasted a few minutes, then dropped down to maybe 10 mph.

Education is important but fishing is importanter.
Re: [wiperhunter2] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
liketrolling, Robert, also donated many of his set ups for trout and kokanee to cause as well. jjannie (Jeff) also shared his DIY planer boards with an interested group. Old_Coot donated a BFT t-shirt, and TubeDude donated 2 copies of his Willard ebook.

Having events like this takes a team effort. Sorry to all for the change of pavilions- hope everyone got the word and made it to the right one with us. KUDOS to the team that worked very hard to get the original location cleaned up only to end up doing it once again once we relocated. The swallows that nest in those pavilions really leave a mess underneath their nests.

In the end everything worked out. Glad to have met the many new faces.

For next year - I kind of liked where we ended up better, it's closer to the water and has nicer view, less freeway noise too. But I think the parking is not as nice for those with boat trailers.

To those that attended... Please let me know your druthers for locations - the original location Pelican Beach or the one we ended up in Eagle Beach - which would you prefer? Thanks.
Re: [jjannie] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
Eagle Beach is my choice,,, and how you let everybody know of the switch is my guess as I never heard anything.I just kept looking. Great planning and turnout..my thanks to ALL that made this the success that it was
Anybody catch fish?
Thanks to everyone it was a great success. I got to meet many of you that I have not met on prior occasions. I even met folk from my old home town.
Thanks Jeff and Jill, It was a good event.
Won some bling from TrueBlue2 (great stuff).
The pavilion was good and the swallows didn't eat much.
If things pan out I could make a few more.

>>>> Listen to the voices in your tackle box <<<<
(This post was edited by WaveWolf on May 7, 2017, 7:48 PM)
Re: [Paddler] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
I know liketrolling did, not sure about anyone else though...
Re: [wiperhunter2] Flotilla Saturday May 6 Willard Bay In reply to
My first year. Had a great time no fish but good food,people and nice prizes. won a nice trolling rig from True Blue. Kinda had my eye on Pat's CD book. Thank you to all that donated. Had my camera but only took one picture. WH2 mentioned a picture last year of everyone in front of the banner. I should have asked everyone to do it again. Guess I need to be a little more assertive and a lot more sociable. Hope to see you all next year.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
image/jpeg DSCN1595.JPG (2.51 MB)
I have to admit I liked the Eagle Beach pavilion we ended up with. More shade, nicer view, and just the right size for our group.

Next time, I'm going to bring buckets and brushes for the setup scrubdown. Might even bring a pressure washer.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Great job...Jil, Jeff, Jeff and all others who chipped in with goodies and help.

I also cast my vote for the Eagle Beach spot. That is where we held other BFT events before. Just right for a small to medium sized group.

Curse ye not the swallows. Their leavings are just "processed" bugs. Without them cleaning up vast quantities of the skeeters and midges it would be even worse than it is on windless days upon the water.

Rocky already beat me to it but my suggestion for next year's preparations would be to solicit the use of someone's pressure washer...to clean the tables prior to everybody else's arrival.

Also...appoint a designated photographer to roam around and capture those "special moments". Some of want "justice" in our pictures. Others are satisfied with mercy.

> >