Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday 1/18
Met up with Catchinon yesterday to try a new pond. We met at Holmes at 8. Trail was a little icy getting to the water. Warm temps, rain/snow off and on most of the day. First couple feet were iffy ice, floated the sleds a little to get them to good ice. I put a boot through trying to get off, might need a plank to access before too long. 6"+ ice everywhere I tried. Inch or two of slush and water on top. Caught a handful of small rainbows, 2 bluegill, 2 largemouth. Small pink ratfinkee got most fish, swedish pimple got a few. All tipped with waxies. Good day fishing, even if we didn't find any real size
[signature]
Thanks for the report, we don't get many from that pond. How long were the LM bass?
[signature]
I believe they were 8". I would have taken one to add to my species list for the contest, but it wasn't to be, I just caught planter 'bows. He schooled me in the panfish department and I just hope I learned the lessons. What color Swedish Pimple is best anyway? [Smile]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have no idea on what color is best for Swedish Pimple, I haven't used one in years. 8" isn't too bad for LMB, not many places to even catch them locally, so even a small one is good IMO.
[signature]
They weren't big. 7.5" and 9", but I was still happy to catch a couple. I was using a silver with yellow middle swedish pimple.
[signature]
That place has changed a lot recently with the stocking and conservation easement, but there are still some very big bass, crappies, and bluegills in there. Lot's more trout and catfish than there used to be.
[signature]
Growing up in Farmington, Holmes was our rope swing hang out spot. It definitely has changed over the years. It's always crazy to me to see the people there with their ski boat skiing on that pond, lol. Valley View is one of the best golf courses in that area as well....love it.
[signature]
Yep I caught small rainbows in just about every hole I tried. I'll have to go fish it again and try to find where the panfish and bigger bass like to hang out. I would have accepted a catfish too. Haven't caught one of them yet.
[signature]