Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Green river

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing Lockett Lures Outlet fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Green river
Heading to the green river next week for 3 days. Never been if anyone has any tips on where to fish, what to use and where to camp any help would be awesome. I have been doing lots of research so I have an idea and I plan on stoping at a fly shop to get some more pointers as well. Hoping to spend a day on all three sections. This will be my first time on a big river so Im super excited, PMs will be great too if needed thanks everyone.

Re: [STEVEF39] Green river In reply to
I am actually up here now and it is great. You'll have a great time. There are plenty of campgrounds. www.recreation.gov (if I remember correctly) has the sites listed. We are in Fire Fighters Memorial campground and it is nice. No hookups, but quiet and well kept, good enough for $20 per night. As for fishing, we have done well with rapalas and I caught some on triple-double flies. There were plenty of fly fishermen using dry flies, and most of got shops say yellow sallys are hot now. Saw many others using emergers/nymphs, but not sure types. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

I would hit browns park (c section) I find the fish bigger , no crowds, great camping there, and miles of bank access if your not floating the river. I fish the river several times a year and I don't even consider the a section or little hole anymore unless weather or run off has muddied from red creek down. terrestials can be deadly at this time of year. If small frogs are presant (as they often are this time of year) Throw on a small frog flat fish and wade out let it dance down stream and hold on. Jakes lures or repala's are always reliable. Fly fishing with cecada's can be fun right now. Muddlers, zonkers , streamers are all good (anything imitating a minnow) In bowns park about 90% will be nice wild browns. And no, thats not why it's called browns park. Let me know how you do if you head down. Feel free to PM me for dirrections or more info.
(This post was edited by Lonnie on Jun 29, 2012, 9:31 PM)

In the A section i.e. dam to little hoe - us small nymphs, sizes 22-24 in olive and crane fly colors. Fish them right at the bottom. Also take some small pmd's size 18 or so and fish hem in the morning and evenings.

B section little hole to browns park, grasshopper with a small nymph dropper underneath. The fish here get a little less pressure so you can bump up to a size 20. Also try crane fly patterns with a small nymph chaser, put them about 18 inches apart. And gain fish them right on the bottom.

I have not fished the C section in a long time, so refer to the earlier post

Good luck! I wil be there too from the 4th on.

Re: [Lonnie] Green river In reply to
I will defintely fish all three sections of the river, Ive heard the fish are bigger on c-section, but they are not as many fish. I will let you know how it goes will prob fish A section thur B section fri and c section sat morning before we head home. What fly shop do you recomend me stopping at to pick up some supplies for the trip. I was going to stop in SLC at western rivers on the way to work this week.

Western Rivers knows what's going up on the green, gonna be pricey though. Maybe check the net for what they are hitting on then go to Sportsman's for flies.

There is no human condition that cannot be made worse by the presence of a Cop!

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war"

It's fishing really good right now, especially the B-section for some oval shaped rainbows. Definitely have some yellow sallies, caddis, and terrestrials (ants, hoppers) for on top. Nymphing is also good using a dry dropper (hoppers-prince nymph). Check the local fly shops like Flaming Gorge Resort and Trout Creek for the latest when you get up to Dutch John. Good luck, Ryno

I fished the A section last weekend and it was fair by Green River standards. I can't add anything to what was said about patterns, but I would advise strongly that you pick one section to concentrate on and fish there all 3 days. If you've never been there before the Green can be intimidating and there is a LOT of water to cover, 3 days will be gone in a flash.

If you're going to fish the lower sections you need to do your homework well in advance so you're not wasting time getting to the access(es) and then getting to the specific areas you want to fish.

Carry some drinking water 'cause it's damn hot, and enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Re: [Ryno] Green river In reply to
Can you lead me to some spots on middle that I can fish easily from shore or wading. Some football rainbows sound good to me! If needed you can PM me if you want we are going to be staying at the firefighters camp ground. Thanks for all the help guys!

You can hike the trail down river from Little Hole. If you just walk the USFS two track (gated on the left once you go through the fee booth) it will take you all the way down to Grasshopper Island, about 1.5 miles. You can still work your way down river from there if you like. You could also go down to Brown's Park, to the Indian Crossing boat launch and hike up river. Both are pretty good trails.

I think in either case you'll find some good fishing in that section of the river.

Good luck, Ryno

From the afore mentioned indian crossing at browns park, You can drive accross the bridge go up the hill and take the first road to the right . This will take you to a small parking area and trail head about a mile upstream and near the mouth of the canyon. If you take the trail about a half mile upstream from there, you will comme to an area where the stream splits arround an island. (not the one you can see from the parking area) There you will find about a mile (above and below the island) of a honey hole. Above the island you will find a medium wadable ripple which is excellant for fly's casting, good rocky bottom. Below the island you will find a long very deep slower hole which is best fished with spincast and hardware, repala's ect... It's to deep for wading , but has some very hefty browns in that deep hole. This stretch of river (from indian crossing (jarvie ranch historical site) up is actualy the lower section of the b section. The indian crossing bridge is ths b-c boundry. Good luck

Re: [Lonnie] Green river In reply to
Thanks for info, what type of rapalas work out thier havent heard of what kind people are using I have some brown trout and rainbow rapalas.

Those are perfect , I use those , or blue/white , black/white, and generaly in countdown or sinking with nothing else on the line. Take along some gold with red spot jakes lures as they do realy well there also.