Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Lake Powell Wahweap trip

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Lake Powell Wahweap trip
My family spent a week down at Powell last week and the fishing was excellent the entire time. It was extremely hot and we dealt with evening sandstorms every day so it's a good thing the fish cooperated.
We camped at Lone Rock and I did most of my fishing from a kayak as usual. I would get up early, troll cranks on my way out to Lone Rock and fish the steep walls of the spire when I got there. I caught Stripers every morning trolling a small Flicker Shad.
Dropping bait or plastics along the steep walls was very effective in the morning or in shady spots in the afternoon. Smallies and Cats really hugged the steep walls.
I caught around 20 Smallmouth all on a Yamamoto Hula Grub on a wacky jig either dropped along steep walls or in rocky slides. They loved that plastic, I had the tails ripped off every on and one was completely bitten in half.
My sons and I set out beach chairs every evening and caught Cats and small Stripers within 30 yards of the shore. Powell is the only place I have fished where you catch a lot of Catfish without even trying to.
I did take my boys to the fishing dock at Wahweap one evening and set out a green light and bait fished for Stripers. The fishing was fast and furious with big fish every few minutes. We only stayed a few hours and filled the cooler.
Heartbreak of the trip was a 4 lb Largemouth that I battled and lost at the kayak the last day. I got a great look at him as it went airborne right next to me.
Overall is was great fishing. Stripers, SMB, LMB, Cats, Bluegill and Sunfish were caught and I never got skunked if I had a line out. That place is a warm water fishermans paradise.

Assassin 3-2, Out.
image/jpeg IMG_0294.JPG (517 KB)
image/jpeg IMG_0293.JPG (463 KB)
image/jpeg IMG_0292.JPG (450 KB)
image/jpeg IMG_0291.JPG (471 KB)
Re: [Squawminnow] Lake Powell Wahweap trip In reply to
Great read, love it.
Where is this fishing dock that you talked about? One of the docks close to Lone Rock or one of the docks by the main marina and if so is it posted as open to public fishing. Many docks are shown on google maps.
Re: [BURLEY] Lake Powell Wahweap trip In reply to
The fishing dock is located at Wahweap marina main docks. You have to enter the park off 89 to Wahweap and park in the parking area near the boat launch. There is a lighted pathway down to the docks and the first spot you come to has a covered area that says Fishing Dock. They have lights and park benches as well as pole holders all around the dock.
The dock also has lights shining into the water to attract plankton and minnows. You will see every type of fish under those lights. I caught plate sized Bluegill, Smallmouth and Stripers there, saw one guy pull a 18 in Walleye.

Assassin 3-2, Out.
have not made it to Powell yet, but hope to next year. The face shield you were wearing in your first photo, is that because of the sand / dust storms, or bugs (like at Willard) or both? You say you camped at lone rock, is that a improved camp site of a beach camp?