Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport- Wed. Afternoon
Thanks for the report. I am looking to take a young family ice fishing Sat. for their first time. I was considering Rockport. I have not caught perch there for several years. What area of the lake are you, and others, catching them? I usually went from the West side. What time(s) of day was the best bite? Two of this family are young girls and I question their cold tolerance.

Thanks
[signature]
I’ve been having success on the East side, South of the boat ramp in 40ish FOW. I have only fished in the afternoon. The bite can be very light and you have to have you gear/presentation on point. All my rods have spring bobbers on them and I use line with very little memory. Any curled slack in your line will absorb those light bites and you’ll never know you were getting hit. I use wax worms until I get a fish up, then eyes after that. My two cents. Good luck.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Just curious, any sign of OHV use on Rockport yet? I'm looking for at least 5" plus ice thickness. I like fishing the west side but can't do the steep banks on & off on that side and can't walk to get there from the boat ramp. It's a bummer being ancient. [cool]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the advice!
[signature]
Someone had run a UTV from the ramp towards the dam. Ice was 5-6” under 4” of snow. No noticeable pressure ridges yet. Safe is a relative term, and every man/women makes there own choices. That being said. I would feel comfortable on a machine on most of the lake.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Thank you Sir. Your kindness is exceeded ONLY by your good looks and charm! [Smile]

I think by next week it should be fine for my OHV.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice mess of perch. Any trout?
[signature]
Icerman -- just a heads up, from my perspective...last year we nailed the perch from the West side, 45 to 50 FOW...this was from early Feb. to March 12 (last day)...3 weeks ago, same area, 5 of us spent 2 hours searching in that same area....absolutely 0 seen on the bottom....a friend of mine was there just yesterday with the same results....not even trout played for he and his wife....I wish I was just saying this to keep you out of my "honey hole", but I ain't....If I were to go back to Rockport, and I will, I'll be putting in somewhere North or South of the boat ramp, where some have said they've had success....I might try that West side again later in February - if we still have ice - 'cuz I remember how good it was a year ago in that spot...Guluk ..and I hope you post on your trip...
[signature]
Thank you for the heads up! Nothing worse than having high hopes and expectations and then falling flat on a skunk! I have never gone to the boat ramp, I may have to pay my dues and try it out!

Thanks again!
[signature]
Made the trip to Rockport. As it turned out the young family postponed until Feb. so I took my son and his friend. Catching was off and on, never hot. Size of perch was nice, mostly 9-10". Bite turned on at 9:30 and off before 11 a.m. 35-40 FOW was what we fished. I didn't notice anyone else around me really knocking them dead, they did about like we did, about 9-11 fish each. Beautiful day to be out side!

Thanks for the advice from the other posters.

Icerman
[signature]
Good to hear you did ok....we're still getting very nice average sized perch (8.5 to 9.5") at Hyrum, pretty much all you'd care to clean.....so it's a little hard "Leaving Fish to Find Fish", but I will try Rockport again soon....tks for getting back....Guluk...
[signature]