Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet
We hit SC early this A.M. -- first "fish on" 0630, and we're thinking "Yes".... but my buddy reeled in a 10" cutt. Well, that was pretty much the story of the morning, lots of very small cutts caught, over a dozen, 2 very large cutts caught, 20 to 21" each, and Oh Yes - 3 kokanee - 1 @7", 1 @12", 1 @13"...Fun reeling in lots of fish, with lots of fish going back in the water.....Either there are no bigger kokes here yet, or they just had lockjaw today......we used colors from light to darks, small dodgers and larger dodgers, trolling with DR from 35' to 54', and all in between....6 or 7 other boats seen on SC side....water very calm....a day like today was Kinda Fun, but sorta like taking your sister out to a movie.....Guluk....
Re: [Jmorfish] SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet In reply to
Strawberry was not much better this morning (Wednesday). One good koke at 0630, jumped and got off about 10' behind the boat. One more at 0645 - got that one. After that 5 slot cutts and 3 planter cutts.
A little better than a date with the sister - more like a peck on the cheek from the cousin. Ehh yuck.
thanks for the report i'm hoping things turn around before to long
Re: [brookie] SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet In reply to
Hey Brookie and MtnCat ---- yeah, pretty frustrating, but I guess we gotta be out there to really know what's happening....especially when a buddy of mine has been still getting good limits at the Gorge -- and of course sending the pics.....just can't get back there this year, so I'm relying on Strawberry or SC for my Koke fix......maybe next week again......hope to see you on the water!
We thats too bad, hope the good catching isn't over for the year alreadyFrown.

BFT administrator and moderator
i wonder if the kokes have moved right up to were they are going to stage to spawn , i think i will fish the sc dam and see what happens , last year i fished it a lot and found fish on the surface that wouldn't bite but under them they were quite active .
Re: [mtncat1] SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet In reply to
I hope you make it and can give a good report -- the area you're talking is the only place I got my 3 (smaller) kokes last week....so if I was to go back this week, that's where I'd concentrate.....my Strawberry buddy is off to Colo. this week, so I have to wait 'til next week to try either side again....don't know if you buy into it, but the Solunar charts say Mon. thru Thurs. should be V. Good days, so I hope it works for you....Guluk....
i probably won't make it out til saturday .those solar charts can be helpful , although i have to go fish when i can Smile
Re: [mtncat1] SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet In reply to
Okay, Mtncat, expound a bit more on your idea of them staging to spawn. I get the idea that many are starting to turn red and will spawn soon, but I don't understand the logic of staging by the dam. I would have expected them to go up a stream or river, ie Strawberry river. I have looked over there and it gets pretty shallow and hard to fish. Are you figuring on them "lake spawning" or are you figuring they will use Pine Hollow to the right of the dam? Not doubting you just trying to figure the logic.

I have been considering a trip down to Fish Lake, but have decided to try Strawberry/SC again on Wednesday. Probably start on SC for the first time in over a month - been having good success on Strawberry until the last week. I have caught Kokes quite a few places on SC in the past and it is not too big so hopefully I can cover a good amount of area. Maybe start where you suggest.

I will post the results.
Here’s my non-scientific two cents. After reaching maturity at around three to four years, kokanee return to their natal area and spawn between Sept and November. Distinct populations tend to have very short spawning windows, frequently as few as two weeks. As with sockeye, kokanee spawn both in gravel stream beds and lakeshore gravel beds. A mature female kokanee carries between 200 and 2,000 eggs which will be deposited in multiple reeds. Using her tail to dig a reed, the female kokanee will then wait for a suitable male for fertilization. Once fertilized she covers the fertilized eggs with gravel. The female kokanee will repeat this process 3 or 4 times until she has exhausted her egg supply. The spawning adults will die with in days of spawning.
right now with my camera I don't see a lot of schools mostly single fish.
so they should start schooling up soon
The tactic being to locate the schools of fish staging to spawn in the deeper water off the creek mouth
Kokanee salmon*
(Anglers may not possess
kokanee salmon from Sept. 10 through Nov. 30.)
it seemed like last year they were surfacing near the dam,i found deep water under them and found them more than willing to bite, i'm not quite sure what they were doing and they were not fully turned , i think robert is right and they spawn all over the lake including the streams . i will find out this weekend if they are there yet .
Went to SC today with limited success. 1 koke, turning red. 16 cutts, mostly small. Fished from down near the dam up along the east side, then back across the middle. Pretty much covered the area. The cutts kept us busy but were not what we were after. I have Monday and Wednesday off next week - haven't decided what is up for me. Hope the weekend treats everyone better. Good luck.
Dang! -- that still sounds like what we did last week -- like the bigger kokes just don't seem to be there....could we possibly have had that many more fishermen out this year and just decimated the numbers? You guys know if anyone did good at SC earlier this season? Guess I'll go to Willard next, but I sure want to hit Strawberry or SC again....Here's hoping....Tks for your report....BTW...based on today's trip, would you go back to SC or Strawberry on your next trip? just wondering...
Me, my next trip will be to Strawberry unless I decide to make the long drive to Fish Lake.
Did really good on Kokes early in June. Not so good since July been fishing the Strawberry side since but keep scoting over to SC and trying. Last year the second half of August Soldier Creek was great.
Re: [lifeshort] SC Tues. -- Maybe not yet In reply to
tks for info....last year we fished SC first time Aug 4, and got into med. and smaller kokes pretty good....that's why I thought they'd be there now, but who knows, I sure don't....Maybe like Brookie says, I'll try Strawberry side again next week, though I haven't heard much going on there either right now....Very slow at Willard Bay right now also (new report today), so maybe it's time to try Rockport, or go up to the Uinta's and cool off with some dinky planters, or maybe mow my lawn.......Guluk...