Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Scofield chub farm

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Scofield chub farm
I rousted a couple of my crew members out of the sack this a.m. and headed to Scofield for some catfish bait. Hit Denny's for grub on the way and arrived at the dam about 8-ish.

Good grief! Have never seen chubs that thick. Almost looked like you could walk across the river on their backs. Boys caught a bunch with small hooks but soon tired of catching them one at a time on bare hooks. Broke out the cast net and had more than we could lift out of the water in one cast. Back home by 10:00.

Got 'em all bagged up and in the freezer. Started out bagging six at a time -- after 25 bags I shifted to 10 per bag, then 12 per bag. Should have enough for the next few years. All are from 5 to 7 inches long. Caught one massive 4 inch rainbow and released it immediately.

Pretty out there. Would be a fun trip for little kids to catch fish on every cast.

Thanks to those who suggest going there for bait. Worked out great.

BLK
image/jpeg DSC00558.JPG (2.38 MB)
image/jpeg DSC00553.JPG (2.32 MB)
image/jpeg DSC00555.JPG (2.36 MB)
image/jpeg DSC00556.JPG (2.48 MB)
image/jpeg DSC00559.JPG (2.36 MB)
image/jpeg DSC00557.JPG (2.40 MB)
(This post was edited by Boatloadakids on Aug 4, 2017, 11:33 AM)
Re: [Boatloadakids] Scofield chub farm In reply to
Good grief is right! You must have a big freezer, just for bait. If I brought home that much bait my wife wouldn't let me near the house, let a lone the freezerWink
4th pic is a brown-
Re: [SLAYERFISH] Scofield chub farm In reply to
Slayer-- You are right. We could see the fish wasn't a chub and we wanted to get it back in the water asap. The hook is a # 10 and the "brown" was not much over 4 inches long. Good eye to catch that little detail. Sure hope he can find enough grub in that water to put on a little weight/length.

Pisco-- I have a dedicated freezer in my shop just for bait. Marriage was at risk when I tried to use the freezer in the house. Can't put a price on peace at home.Wink
(This post was edited by Boatloadakids on Aug 4, 2017, 2:10 PM)
Way to thin the herd. Too bad the herds so massive.Unsure

Your crew looked like they enjoyed themselves, helping fill the freezer.Smile
Just like Yuba with carp, Scofield has so many chubs that even the predators can't get enough to eat to grow big enough to become piscivorous. The Cutthroats look like shoelaces. If you cut one of the Cutthroats open, they have almost no internal organs. They're digesting themselves. The swarms of chubs eat everything that another fish needs to exist.

<{{{{{>

Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion."
Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein
Nice work. Should keep you in kitty snacks for a while.

When Kent and I went over in late August last year I tried fishing below that bridge too. But the water was pouring out of the dam...bringing large balls of weeds with it. I tossed out a minnow trap into an area I thought might be safe, but a "bale of hay" latched on to my trap and tore one side off it. I did not dare try throwing a net. There were chubs there but no way to fish them safely.

Well, that does it, I guess I'll go up to Scofield to replenish my chub supply, and wait to go to Deer Creek until the weather is cooler. But first I'll go back to Strawberry Monday and see what kokes/cutts/bows I can troll up. I've never used a cast net, but maybe I'll see if Cabela's or Sportsman's has one. I do have a couple minnow traps, so I'll bring those too. I'd love to get a bunch of the smallest chub minnows like we used to be able to buy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many a problem will solve itself if you'll forget it and go fishing.

Re: [MisterCompletely] Scofield chub farm In reply to
I am attaching a little tutorial on cast nets. Hope it helps.

One word of advice...spend a few extra dollars to get a good quality 1/4" mesh net, rather than 3/8" mesh. That will get you a lot more of the smaller minnows. Otherwise you spend 5 minutes after each throw peeling the gill netted fish out of the mesh.

application/pdf CAST NETS.pdf (564 KB)
Re: [TubeDude] Scofield chub farm In reply to
Thanks TD, that's a lot of good info. I'm not sure how serious I'll get about cast nets, especially if I can just get a whole lot of bait that'll last a long time. I went up to Scofield when the DWR was gill netting, and brought home a bunch of 8" chubs for the chest freezer for cut bait, but I'd love to get some small minnows. The 1/4" mesh is just the kind of advise I needed. Wink

Having a cast net will give you a lot of options you can't get by occasionally buying a package of whatever they have at Sportsmans.

Whenever I get home from a minnow catching excursion, the first thing I do is sort them and freeze them by size. I keep the very smallest...2" or smaller...to use for tipping jigs or ice fishing. Then I package them up in sizes roughly 2-3 inches, 4-5 inches, 6-7 inches...and larger...in trip sized packs.

I do use the larger chubs...like those from Scofield. But I seldom use them much until later in the year...or for big cattin' night trips. Even then I am more likely to cut them into two or three pieces rather than fishing them whole. But I have caught some big fish on whole large chubs. Although it pays to rig a double hook "stinger" rig if you are fishing those big ones.

Earlier in the year I start with small 2-3" minnows...about the size the fish will be feeding on from the most recent spawn and hatch. But I will also usually take along a package of 4-5" minnows...for larger fish that want bigger meals.

I don't have any hard and fast generalizations. I believe in offering the fish a variety of options and letting them tell me what they want. I have caught some of my best minnow munchers on small sized minnows...and I have caught cats and bullheads that were not much bigger than the baits they chomped.

Late fall minnowing at Willard usually sees me fishing small minnows again...under 3". These work best when late hatching shad are too small too make the food transition from zooplankton to other foods and the zooplankton start thinning out in the colder water of fall. The smallest shad die off and the predators are used to finding dead ones to dine on. One thing that helps is to rig those small minnows on a dropshot rig...about 18" to 24" off the bottom.

Most of the time I drag a minnow slowly behind my tube...without any weight other than the hook and an inline barrel swivel about 2' above the leader. I fish with an open bail and let takers take the bait a ways before setting the hook. But I also play around a lot with slip bobber rigs. Cats will come a long ways up off the bottom to hit a suspended minnow. Walleyes often will not pick up a minnow on the bottom but will more readily accept one hanging just above them.

Lots of variables in the sizes, styles and rigging of hooks. I keep messin' with new setups all the time.

Boy, nothin like getting the whole scoop from the exspurt himself. Sure do appreciate all this good info, and gettin excited to get out and do it.

I ordered a small 4' radius net, 1/4" mesh with lead weights, by Betts, $60. If I'm lucky, I won't have to go to the ER to have it removed from my neck after the first cast attempt.

It sounds like catching the bait might turn out to be quite an adventure itself.

BTW I've been using the cut chub meat for cats at UL, first filleting a chub, then cutting the fillet into strips, and using both J hooks and circle hooks. In either case, the skin on the chub is so darn tough that it often comes around and fouls the tip of the hook, so I don't get a good hookset on the fish. I've never had that problem using chub minnows for tipping a jig for Strawberry cutts. but then I usually cut a 4-5" minnow into 3 pieces for that. Using an entire small minnow for cats would probably eliminate that problem???

When you get your net let me know and I will meet up with you for a quick intro to castnets 101. One of those things that can be hazardous to your health if you do it wrong...but easy and effective if you know how to hold it and throw it.

About hooks and rigging. If I am using a slab of carp meat or a fillet of a white bass, perch or chub I try to use a good sharp J hook and run it once through the end...with the tip of the hook at least slightly exposed...and the rest of it fluttering behind. That slightly increases the snag potential but greatly increases your hookup ratio. I don't use circle hooks...but the way I time the hookset results in a high percentage of the fish being hooked in the corner of the mouth anyway.

I am attaching some pics that show my most common ways of hooking minnows.

Of course I'd like to take you up on that offer. I would drive to your backyard and see what a mess I can make of it. I'll PM you later.....

Learning to throw a cast net is not unlike learning to cast with a fly rod. Sometimes it is better to practice on a forgiving grass lawn rather than on the water.

I have shown several net newbies how to hold and throw their new toys on a large park lawn. Plenty of room and it is easy to see how the net falls. Only problem is explaining to the neighbors and the nice officers they call in just what the heck you are doing. They usually don't buy the "netting nightcrawlers" explanation. And if they have their body cams running you may end up on the evening news.

Not net related but I was looking through your minnow rig pictures you posted and seen the "bling beads". What's the reasoning behind them?
Might try it...
TubeDude wrote:
........ Only problem is explaining to the neighbors and the nice officers they call in just what the heck you are doing. They usually don't buy the "netting nightcrawlers" explanation. And if they have their body cams running you may end up on the evening news.

ROFLOL I think that any officer that needs and explanation deserves the "netting nightcrawlers" explanation. As for neighbors, never mind...... LOL

PS, careful, I might take you up on the nest "refresher course" to, and I have done it for years. Never quite got it down while on a boat with a bass elevated chair behind me. Not a pretty site. HEHE
MisterCompletely wrote:
Well, that does it, I guess I'll go up to Scofield to replenish my chub supply, and wait to go to Deer Creek until the weather is cooler. But first I'll go back to Strawberry Monday and see what kokes/cutts/bows I can troll up. I've never used a cast net, but maybe I'll see if Cabela's or Sportsman's has one. I do have a couple minnow traps, so I'll bring those too. I'd love to get a bunch of the smallest chub minnows like we used to be able to buy.

I'm going to strawberry Monday
so maybe I will go to Scofield the week after I have never went after chubs
and it has been over 15 years sense I have been to Scofield.

How to Throw a Cast Net Video
https://www.youtube.com/...swnJXwEws#t=533.6613
(This post was edited by liketrolling on Aug 5, 2017, 7:58 PM)
Re: [liketrolling] Scofield chub farm In reply to

I must say she's quite a bit easier to look at than Pat.

So far they're saying maybe thunderstorms at Strawberry Monday, but we'll see......

Re: [sharksugar101] Scofield chub farm In reply to
sharksugar101 wrote:
Not net related but I was looking through your minnow rig pictures you posted and seen the "bling beads". What's the reasoning behind them?
Might try it...

I also add beads when fishing whole crawlers, white bass (whole or cut bait) or carp meat. There are days when a bit of extra flash and/or color makes a noticeable difference...such as when the water is cold and/or murky. Other times...like in very clear water...rigging with no beads (or different colors) will get more hits than the chartreuse and orange i use most. I will often rig two rods...one with beads and one without. I fish both let the fish tell me what they prefer. And there are days when it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Anybody who has ever fished crawler rigs on bottom bouncers knows that beads can help...and sometimes one color works better than another. I started putting beads ahead of crawlers or minnows mostly when fishing for walleyes, but found that almost all species like them...cats, perch, white bass, wipers, trout...and even chubs and carp.

Here are a few pics.

Makes sense.... I just used them on my homemade koke and crawler rigs like you said, but with some spinners or smile blades on them.
I'm going to try them on a slow day now, and lately there has been alot so anything helps.
Thanks again!