Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Tell me about Little Dell

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Tell me about Little Dell
I have always been tempted by the close proximity of this little reservoir just 20 minutes from my house. I have fished it only 2 times in the past 10 years with no fish caught each time. Granted, I was shore fishing, and I did not do much research either time.

Now with the warmer weather and the extended sunshine, it calls to me once more. here is what I know. No bait. Artificial fly and lure only. All cuttys must be released. Watershed so no swimming.

I have looked for stocking reports and fishing reports on the DWR site and Little Dell isn't even listed. what is the history of this body of water and why isn't it more popular with anglers and the DWR? It just seems like a mystery why this water isn't more heavily utilized.

Anyone?

I like fishing. A lot. I just wish I could get out more.
Re: [smittyts] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
I don't fish it a ton but I have had incredible days stripping marabou streamers (purple) sight fishing the steep north bank! I talked to a dude up there a few years ago at the time one of the only people I'd seen actually fishing he seamed to know what he was doing? He claimed that the next state record cutt would be from little dell??
Re: [Aquaticbotulism] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
Thanks aquabot. I have never hit that area. I will try it out.

Just a FYI - there are a TON of ticks all along between where you park and the waters edge - please be aware that they like all warm blooded species and will hop a ride whenever possible.

Leave no man behind...

'Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.'
John Wayne
Hit it right after the sun drops below the dam, wind dies down and the surface action goes crazy.
Re: [remo_5_0] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
I have seen people on kayaks or pontoons on it before. Is that allowed or were they outlaws?
Re: [T-DOG91] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
Toons, tubes and yaks allowed, must wear waders, no wet wading in the watershed.
Re: [remo_5_0] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
I also live 20 minutes from that pond. My tube and I will be making a visit. I fished it one time from shore and didn't do well.
Re: [T-DOG91] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
I think I am going to try hitting it a few times after work this season in my canoe or kayak (when I get one) to see how the water seems after some consistent efforts. I will leave reports as I make the outings. Does anyone know how often DWR stocks it? I have heard not very often. Which again begs the question why.

DWR collects eggs from the lake and returns them as smolts. Unofficial stocking. They also use the eggs for other lakes in the Wasatch.
http://digitallibrary.utah.gov/...=file&item=17074
(This post was edited by TT600 on May 17, 2017, 1:56 PM)
smittyts wrote:
I think I am going to try hitting it a few times after work this season in my canoe or kayak (when I get one) to see how the water seems after some consistent efforts. I will leave reports as I make the outings. Does anyone know how often DWR stocks it? I have heard not very often. Which again begs the question why.

Little Dell has natural reproduction, and is C&R only on the cutts. Without harvest there is really no need to stock on a yearly basis. Also, the Hatchery may only produce a certain amount of cutts on a yearly basis. A lot of those may be stocked in smaller lakes. Keep in mind, lakes are stocked based on a schedule and some may be on a 3 or even 5 year schedule. The biologists at the DWR would probably explain it better.
Re: [harlin] Tell me about Little Dell In reply to
TT600 - thanks for the report. It was very helpful. Good info and helped me understand more about sticking of the reservoir. Some interesting data over the years.

harlin - thanks for your response. You learn something new every day.