Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Three Ponds only one fish worth mention

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Three Ponds only one fish worth mention
Saturday we headed to Bear Lake to try and catch me a trout and a predator class fish. Well it was a blow out with nasty waves that were too big to fish from my boat so after getting wet from a few waves over the bow I gave up and we headed to Hyrum and trolled there. Water was much smoother except for the one power squadron boat that kept driving right by us and blasting us with monster waves. We ended up boating 8 fish with only one keeper.(13-14") Then we went home and after everyone went home I decided to try Cutler and see if I could find a bass or crappie. I didn't but I did find one fluke hit just as I was ready to quit for the night. It was a fun fight and I was pretty excited about the result since it was my first from Cutler in a couple years. Anyway glad I didn't quit trying. Later J

(This post was edited by SkunkedAgain on Sep 25, 2017, 7:24 AM)
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
Nice Jeff. I still haven't caught a walleye on Cutler. It might help if I could get out there.
Rod P
Re: [BagABigOne] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
It was just luck that I got this one, after nothing for an hour and a half, I pitched a jig at a jumping fish and the crazy thing hit it on the second crank... That never happens, but it did this time... I'll take my dumb luck... Later J
Nice, nice, nice.

As I have said before...there are more walleyes caught by accident than by design. But take 'em any way you can get 'em.

Re: [TubeDude] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
Yup so few walleye up this way that you'll get skunked a ton if you try and target them exclusively... Just have to luck into one once in a blue moon... I let this one go, so it's still swimming... I know they probably don't reproduce very well on this pond, but still like to leave them for another day... It was sure a pretty fish though, nice and fat with huge teeth and it swallowed it clear down to its tonsils, so I had to reach way to the back of it's mouth to unhook the hook and my pliers weren't long enough to do it from outside the mouth so I was really grateful it didn't decide to bite me while I was getting it lose... Guess that's part of the reason it got a free return... Fun to catch nice fish, I like it... Later J
Whatta guy. Not many would have released that fish, me included. Too good on the table. I suspect there is some reproduction in the faster and rockier upper reaches so releasing one here or there is not likely to change the whole ecology. Still...good on ya.

Re: [TubeDude] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
Probably missed my chance at a nice batch of TD chowder, which would taste pretty dang good with the current temperatures, but seems the rest of the family aren't too into fish, and I didn't have any get togethers in the near future, I figured I'd let it swim on... It was a little tough to do, those would have been some big fillets off that one... Later J
Nice fish, that big you would have got 4 steaks and 2 good cheek meat pieces, you just got to eat it quietly and don't tell how good it is or everyone will want someWink
O.C.F.D.
Re: [MSM1970] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
Wish I could take a page from your book and learn how to do this size fish on a consistent basis like you seem to do... For me it's just a happy accident, but I know you can go looking for one and catch it... That's impressive to me, wish I had that kind of eye smarts... I was even surprised that this fish fought decent... Usually I'm disappointed with the fight of most eyes that I catch, but most of them are pre twenty inchers too... Thanks for the cutting up info... Do feel bad I missed the cheeks... best part of the bigger fish... Later J
If you look at my book on eyes there are a lot of blank pages of skunks, just remember the spot where you caught it, hit it again, water temp, be patient, you will get a lot of casting practice, remember how the bit felt, stay focused on the line, this time of year big is better for me, in shallow water I like to use big floating rapalas, just go fast enough to bounce it across the bottom, when they get above the 24 mark the fight a lot better, especially on the light tackle I use,
O.C.F.D.
Funny you mention the spot because the last eye I caught on Cutler was the same exact spot and timeframe two years ago. It was closer to 21" though. I catch them while pitching for bass on a curly tail jig. No bass this year so glad this guy showed up. Thanks for your tips. J
curly tails if what I mostly use, tandems TD taught you how to do that, its easy to miss them thinking its just the bottom, anything that is different when reeling quite often is a eye, watch your line hitting the water, had a lot of hits I don't feel, the line starts moved sideways, if you aint watching they spit it out before you realize what just happened. STAY FOCUSED....... grasshopperWink
O.C.F.D.
It sounds like you fish for eyes very similar to my bass technique... Maybe that's why I lucked into the eye... I know a lot of times the smallies will pick up the jig and take off and I'll never feel a thing, but just like you said the line will take off in a strange direction so I just hammer them and most of the time I hook up... I really like to fish this way, but it sure takes a sensitive pole to know what is going on... I'm still trying to improve my understanding of what I'm feeling...I found this year that my heavy cat rod and lines won't work for the finesse fishing I have to do to feel the critters... That's why I had my light rod and line when the eye took a hold.. That set up is probably my best to tell what is happening, but it's still pretty tough to tell between bottom and fish hits quick enough to not false jerk a snag or hesitate on a bite... But that's why it's so dang much fun.... Thanks again for the insight it really helps to know if you're doing the right things or not.... Later J

That's a dandy Jeff! I've never caught one that big out of there. I've caught a few 21-22", but never a big guy like that. So cool to know they are in there as a bonus for the dedicated (or lucky!).

I tried for walleyes at Oneida Friday and Saturday and got skunked for the walleyes, but I really put the hurt on the perch and came home with a ton of good fillets! Most of them were 9-10" with a few 11" and a few 7-8". The smallest didn't want to play on the reservoir, but were very aggressive on the river below. Fall is a great time up there, but they are drawing it down to do a gate repair on the dam and boat launching is going to be sketchy any day now.

Awsome post my friend, thanks for sharing!

Mike
Re: [gmwahl] Three Ponds only one fish worth mention In reply to
Hey Mike thanks for the congrats, I was pretty tickled with it. Sounds like you're still doing well up north. Good deal. Hey I have a question for you, seen a bunch of minnows in the marina at Bear Lake, are they Chubs or trout? Think I'll try to fish the Bear Friday but the wind looks scary again. You been out lately? Think it's worth another drive over the mountain? It's my last chance for a contest fish so I'm going to give it a try. Hope it will be okay. Later J
Hey Jeff,
The small fish you're seeing in the marina are chubs. There are also so.e small 2" perch and redside shiners.

The fishing for Lakers is hot right now. Should be for another week or so at least. Around October 5-10 or so the Lakers will be starting their spawn and they will only be biting out of aggression and the fishing will be MUCH slower.

Mike
Thanks so much Mike, be over to try my luck in the morning. Thanks again. J
Good luck and be safe!

Mike
Thanks and I'll try my best to stay safe. Hope I get a few hours of low wind. Report looks ok till noon so I hope that holds up. Thanks J