Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

UV or Glow ?

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
UV or Glow ?
Maybe some of you have this figured out already, but I suspect there are more, like me, still a little confused.....
I use glow lures ice fishing and trolling, and I can see the glow, especially after firing them up with a glow recharger.....so I'm pretty sure these are making a big difference down deep, at least for 5 to 10 minutes 'til they need to be re-charged again....works great on deep perch, crappie at night, trolling deep for Kokanee, etc......
I just don't get a warm and fuzzy with the lures that say UV Treated, Super UV or something like that.....can't see them glow in a dark closet; they don't respond to a re-charge light.....How do I know they are doing anything down deep? Anybody know? Anyone have better success with UV vs. the Glow lures? If you have a genuine UV lure, does it last forever? or wear off? Tks for your thoughts and input....
Re: [Jmorfish] UV or Glow ? In reply to
I think UV just reflects ultra violet light, so at night it won't do you a lot of good, they don't charge up... Where glow tends to absorb the energy and discharge it later, so it will show up in the dark...... So bottom line, the one just reflects natural light (UV) and the other stores a light source and discharges it later... Hope that makes sense... J
Re: [SkunkedAgain] UV or Glow ? In reply to
jmorfish, you are asking the right questions. Your instincts are treating you well.

SkunkedAgain, thank you for pointing out there is no UV once the sun sets.

I am involved with a lure making website and this subject comes up often. I answered the question regarding Bass specifically, but the information is far more detailed.

Sorry for the technospeak, but I think this might help. See attached, but release it was written for someone else.
application/octet-stream UV Light.docx (15.2 KB)
You already have some good answers. As a lure maker I use both glow and UV. Glow is for low light conditions...or after dark. UV works better in brighter lights...and sometimes in low light when a bit more reflected light helps visibility.

By the way...about your glow stuff. If you have to recharge often you are using the wrong stuff. I use KOSMIC GLOW POWDER to make my glow goodies. I mix the powder with clear vinyl jig coating and apply it over a white or other light base. It glows very brightly for many hours. You can also mix it into your plastics if you make them.

I have been using UV top coat paint on a lot of my lures for the past couple of years. School is still out on superiority. But I have also been using UV materials in jigs and flies and I am thinking they can make a difference on some days.

Re: [Anglinarcher] UV or Glow ? In reply to
One other thing I've noticed since I got a camera is how much more light there is down 20 or more feet, even under ice with a snow pack on top. Light really goes down and through things. It surprised me. Now I only have a 50' cord but things are much lighter than I ever expected. But after sundown it changes fast. Then the glow is really noticeable. Good topic to bring up. Later J
Re: [TubeDude] UV or Glow ? In reply to
TubeDude wrote:
You already have some good answers. As a lure maker I use both glow and UV. Glow is for low light conditions...or after dark. UV works better in brighter lights...and sometimes in low light when a bit more reflected light helps visibility.

By the way...about your glow stuff. If you have to recharge often you are using the wrong stuff. I use KOSMIC GLOW POWDER to make my glow goodies. I mix the powder with clear vinyl jig coating and apply it over a white or other light base. It glows very brightly for many hours. You can also mix it into your plastics if you make them.

I have been using UV top coat paint on a lot of my lures for the past couple of years. School is still out on superiority. But I have also been using UV materials in jigs and flies and I am thinking they can make a difference on some days.

Had not seen that link before, thanks.

I had been using Glonation
https://www.glonation.com/...al-glow-powders.html
Appreciate your knowledge, also knowing that on most days it can still be pretty light down there 20 to 30', so then maybe I wouldn't need the 'glow' lures until fishing deeper than that, but maybe use the UV lures 30' and shallower on most days? (during light of day) ...And on cloudy, overcast days stick with 'Glow'?
tks for response and the attachment, good read...I've tried to study the UV info before, so have some knowledge, but like they say, sometimes just a little knowledge can be dangerous......like the article stated, maybe it's more the fisherman's attitude than the lure at times....
TD - tks for input .... I currently don't make lures, other than customizing some store-bought ones.....Mostly using glow and UV beads, and glow tape.....the vinyl jig coating (clear) that you mentioned, with the added glow powder, sounds good......could I use something like that over store-bought lures that don't have glow? How about on soft plastics, like 'hoochies' or 'squids'? tks....
Just remember that humans, at least most of us, cannot see UV light. A coating can reflect all the UV in the world, but we won't see it even in a dark closet with a black light. Remember that some Salmon and Trout can, but scientist think that trout loose that ability in their 2nd year.

Remember also that UV penetrates clouds, so even though it is cloudy, UV is penetrating.

And last, for the most part, if UV is helping, it is likely because it is exciting fluorescent colors on the lure.

But, did I mention that some scientist once thought that the earth was flat? LOL
 So Pat I've been wondering about painting my night catfish pole tips with glow paint. Would that be bright enough to see when a cat takes it? I've seen the glow stick method and I like the lighted bobbers, but sometimes I'm fishing the channels where the bobbers won't work and if I keep my flashlight on the skeeters swarm me. So I'm looking for a better solution. What say ye? Later J
tks AnglinA .... but I think what you're saying brings me back to one of my original questions : How would I know if one, or any, of my squids, jigs, ice flies marked 'UV' are really performing as UV? Another problem - once that 'UV' lure is taken out of the package, used and abused, then put with other sorta similar lures -- how would I know in 2 weeks, or 2 months, or next season, if that lure, or any others, are 'UV'? I try to keep my lures pretty organized, but do I have to stamp each one 'UV' to know that it originally came out of a package marked 'UV'??
And now what, they're back to teaching mush in our schools that the world is round?
An ultraviolet (UV) flashlight is inexpensive and handy for fishing and the answer to your question.

You should have one to charge your phosphorescent lures anyway. These are the ones that glow in the dark after exposure to light. For night fishing, use it to charge your glow lures. It will also do something else and that is also the answer to your question of sorting your UV lures.

Now to your question. Put that UV flashlight in your pocket when you go into your favorite fishing supplies store and shine it at the lures, the ones that are UV will stand out brightly and will be quite apparent. They will also be glowing like this underwater when there is sunlight and when the combination of depth and clarity allows the UV from the sun to penetrate to that depth. UV can go deeper than all of the other colors provided the water clarity allows, but it is severely blocked by even the slightest murkiness.

The same applies for your fishing lure box. Keep your UV flashlight in your fishing lure box. When you want to know which lures are UV or to sort them, simply shine the UV light at your lures and your UV lures will become very bright while the other ones won't change.

Ronald :)

Let's go fishing! I prefer to fish with others. I'm well equipped with plenty to share. Let's team up! Private Message me to suggest I come to where you're fishing.

be prepared, be very prepared

Don't become a Zombie in The Great Collapse!

I'm using my BFT profile as my personal dating website and posting my latest date invitations to single young BFT fisherladies there. Movie date proposal: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 Dinner and Luxury seats GeoStorm.
(This post was edited by RonPaulFan on Sep 21, 2017, 10:14 PM)
this is all I know fishing for kokanee
I have tried this with my water wolf camera
before the sun comes up and it is still dark
using a silver 5.5 " sling blade painted with UV Blast seal coat.
using a white glow in the dark squid and a glow spinner it looks green when you put the UV light on the squid.

at strawberry down 40'
every thing is black, but I can see the light of the dodger and the glow of the squid
I have got kokanee with this, when the sun comes up about 1 hr. later the glow squid comes off.

I have put glow in the dark tape on my dodges and have never got a kokanee with glow in the dark tape. may be others have but I haven't.
Jmorfish wrote:
..could I use something like that over store-bought lures that don't have glow? How about on soft plastics, like 'hoochies' or 'squids'? tks....

You can apply a coat of glow powder/paint over any light colored base. White or chartreuse are best. But you will notice that the base color is dulled a bit in daylight. The powder is a greenish gray color and if applied too thick can affect the base color.

But...I do use it a lot and apply some glitter over the glow coat to help offset and enhance the effect of the glow in daylight. It works for me. In the picture below all those jig heads have a coat of the glow. So you can see it is not too bad. And when you apply the patterns over the glow they really show up against the glow in low light conditions.

EDIT: Not a good idea to try to apply a coat over soft plastic baits. Better to mold some into the plastic. Unless you use one of the special plastic paints...like those from Spike It...you would not be able to get it to stick anyway. The vinyl jig paint just peels off soft plastic.

(This post was edited by TubeDude on Sep 22, 2017, 5:03 AM)
SkunkedAgain wrote:
So Pat I've been wondering about painting my night catfish pole tips with glow paint. Would that be bright enough to see when a cat takes it? Later J

Anybody who has used that glow powder will attest to how bright it is and how long the glow lasts. There are more than a few night fishermen who are using it as you are suggesting...to paint the tip of their rods.

I have a pretty good supply of the glow powder. It is expensive and I bought a pound of it during a special pricing period. So I could either provide you with a small amount to try yourself...or I would be happy to doctor a couple of rods for you the next time we get together. It dries quickly so it doesn't take long to apply.

Again, the key is to first paint the area you want to glow with a good white undercoat. Then apply the glow over that. The final step is a coat of clear epoxy to reduce chipping or any bad effects of coming in contact with soft plastic baits.

Hey Pat if you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate that. I'll get my tips painted white and next time I'll have you sprinkle some of that pixie dust on my tips. Thank you it sounds like a good fix. I really hate trying to keep glow sticks attached and working so this should be great. Later J
If you can paint about six to eight inches of the tips white...with a good paint (epoxy best)...we can do the glow part next time we meet up at Willard. Only a few minutes to paint and dry with the glow. However, I might suggest you add a top coat of clear vinyl or epoxy later for protection.

'Bout time for some fall fishin' on Willard. You 'bout through with your farming and gardening?

Yes I'm just about done with the farming for the year. Going to plant a little fall grain and grass and if weather will cooperate I'd like to cut a forth crop hay off one field, but it will be tough to get it dry the way things are looking. I may try Bear Lake tomorrow if the W--- will cooperate. 6 mph too bumpy for that lake? Got to try one more contest run on the open challenge and see if I can find a cutty and Mac. Then I could use a crappie and wiper from Willard so I need a trip next week if the weather will allow. Hope the boss will be ok with that too. You thinking of a Willard run in your near future? Later J
6 mph too much? Not if you are fishing on the right side of the lake. On one side of the lake it might be just a gentle offshore breeze. On the other side you might get bounced around by some good sized swells that build as the "zephyr" marches across the lake.

I think a trip to Starvation is on my dance card next week. But probably the first week of October might be right for Willard.

That's for sure on Bear Lake, seems like a lot smaller breeze gets to be a big deal... I know 10 mph over there is too much for me to handle getting my boat on the trailer on the east side... The marina on the west makes it a little easier since you're protected from the full force of the waves.. I think they are predicting a wind out of the north to north east, which is sort of a weird direction for that lake and I'm not sure what to expect... If that is the case the waves will be big down on the Utah side of things...

Let me know on the Willard trip, sounds like a fun time... Later J
Try windy.com for wind direction and prediction. You can zoom in and change from wind to precip to clouds, etc. Fast forward too.

It is surprisingly accurate..

There are a lot of people starting to make their own lures/jigs for the lake trout and kokanee at the gorge. I've tried some that were given to me and my dad and they work better than anything store bought. Sorry- I don't have permission to disclose their design and coloring though.
Re: [Quicky] UV or Glow ? In reply to
Thanks I'll give it a look. J
Tks for great pics of some of your lures, and info on application of the lure enhancers......I'm going to try some of your suggs.....Also tks to Liketrolling for info on the 'UV Blast' seal coat, which also sounds like pretty good stuff......and RonPaulFan, tks for being out there and making me check my 'Glow' and 'UV' lures again with my glow and uv lights..(still see no evidence of any 'UV' lures becoming brighter - maybe just the fish can!) .....
So tks to all ....... I'll definitely play with it some more and maybe more practice will help clarify.....and then the fish will change their mind and want something else.....Guluk to all....
Jmorfish wrote:
tks AnglinA ..................: How would I know if one, or any, of my squids, jigs, ice flies marked 'UV' are really performing as UV? Another problem - once that 'UV' lure is taken out of the package, used and abused, then put with other sorta similar lures -- how would I know in 2 weeks, or 2 months, or next season, if that lure, or any others, are 'UV'? ...............?

That is the rub, you cannot.
> >