Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Willard Halloweenie

FLASY FISH LURES fishing
(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Re: [TubeDude] Willard Halloweenie In reply to
Not really complaining just liked the hair bands..... Twisted Sister anyone???? Later J
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Willard Halloweenie In reply to
"Twisted Sister anyone????"

No thanks. I already got one.

Farm out, man.

Wow, nice work on the kitties and thanks for all the insight you shared. Is it likely that the 2-4" shad won't experience a die-off like the tiny tikes you were describing from previous years?

I am familiar with cold water die-offs of adult shad that occurred once in a while on Elephant Butte when I lived in NM. However, those were adult threadfin, the gizzards (both were in the lake) weren't bothered much by the cold water.

Similar to what you are describing, the cats would congregate in the narrows in mid to late winter and make a good living scooping dead shad off the bottom. The carp were thick scooping them up as well and once in a while a striper was caught on dead shad fished just off the bottom.

One of the strangest I ever saw was a late July die-off. For a few weeks you could catch stripers by fishing a dead shad motionless on the bottom. No other way got much action. They were in fairly deep water, so I never "saw" the die-off, but stomach contents and fishing results gave me enough circumstantial evidence to believe that's what had happened.

Thanks again for sharing!
Re: [Piscophilic] Willard Halloweenie In reply to
Gizzard shad are much hardier than threadfin shad when it comes to cold tolerance. But even the larger and more adaptable gizzard shad do experience some winter dieoff in cold water. The smallest ones are more susceptible if they have not grown beyond the stage they rely solely on zooplankton. Larger shad can subsist on bottom detritus. Not as nourishing but it will sustain them when zooplankton numbers are down during colder months.

Never heard of a summer dieoff, but it could have been due to oxygen problems, toxic algae bloom or any of several other factors. End result is a feed for the hungry masses below.

Got to experience Elephant Butte back in the days when there were also swarms of BIG white bass. Went there to fish a bass tournament but stayed after to beat up on the whities.

The whites were in decent shape when I was down there too. They averaged just under 2 pounds most trips. 3's were not uncommon. I admit it kind of spoiled me on the ones in UL for a few years! To this day I rarely target them, once I have enough for the days cat fishing activities.

I've seen another shad/predator behavior down there that I'd like to ask you about, but I'll send you a PM.
> >