fishing FLASY FISH LURES fishing
(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Report Post | Register to Reply
Yuba?
Anyone been down there lately? How was the fishing? Thanks
Re: [Lovetofish1965] Yuba? In reply to
was there last week.. carp were mouth hitting 6 inch crank baits.. fished all day for 4 or 5 lost carp half way in and 3 that got to the boat we could not rip the hooks out reeling them in.. lol Crazy

Ron

artificial intelligence is no mach for my natural stupidity

He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.
pic added..

Ron

image/jpeg IMG_1588[1].JPG (1.90 MB)
Re: [fuzzyfisher] Yuba? In reply to
Doesn't suprise me. Not sure what to think of yuba.
Re: [strawberryquest] Yuba? In reply to
Yuba looks to be in need of a reset. I sure wish we could use the same Virus the Aussies are using to kill carp.
My bucket list has a hole in the bottom of the bucket.
Re: [Anglinarcher] Yuba? In reply to
rotenone is pretty effective.

I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
Dr. Raymond Stantz

Re: [PBH] Yuba? In reply to
It sure is, but it is a clean slate, killing all fish. The carp specific Harpies virus that the Aussies are using kills only carp. Sources tell me that it is saving some of their native species and numerous bodies of water.

We have a close cousin to that virus in the US that occasionally breaks out and kills carp. I saw it in Washington at Spokane Lake once. Killed about 30 % of the carp but left the Bass, Pike, Trout, etc., etc., unharmed.

Left some of the best fishing I have ever seen and did not take years for the fish to grow up after being restocked.
carp on a crankbait! pretty classic.
How many years would it take for the herpies virus to kill 70% of the carp population?

How many years would it take to kill 99%+ of the carp population using rotenone, then restock and have a viable fishery?

I'd bet that the second option would happen faster, and provide fewer carp to boot.

(if native species were a concern, then I could understand going with a fish-specific culling method. But we aren't talking native species protection here -- we're talking a sport-fish restoration.)

Dr. Raymond Stantz

The isolated Virus the Aussies have been using kill in days. They have a much stronger version then the one I saw and it is introduced in strong concentrations where the one in Washington occurred naturally and spread like normal infections.

The advantage is that the one used by the Aussies does not kill endangered or threatened native species so it can be used at any water. Think UL???

Sure rotenone works great, I am a big fan, but....... seems more and more states are pulling back from it.
Anglinarcher wrote:

Sure rotenone works great, I am a big fan, but....... seems more and more states are pulling back from it.

why is that?

Fishin'

Dr. Raymond Stantz

Does anyone know why the virus is not being used if the Australians are not seeing any adverse effects? Sounds almost to good to be true, especially with the pending disaster in the Great Lakes if the Asian carp get into the system. Seems that this virus would be the best way to prevent that.

As to rotenone , my guess is that they are getting pressure from groups like PETA and other environmentalists because it kills everything. People who don't understand the dynamics of wildlife management always complain about things they don't understand. Heaven forbid that they do a little research and educate themselves about the process and not make strictly emotional judgments.

Anyone know where more on this virus can be found ?? Journal articles, reports, etc ??
Re: [Therapist] Yuba? In reply to
Therapist wrote:
As to rotenone , my guess is that they are getting pressure from groups like PETA and other environmentalists because it kills everything. People who don't understand the dynamics of wildlife management always complain about things they don't understand.
It's called “to anthropomorphize” - give human characteristics to animals, inanimate objects or natural phenomena. PETA members have an over abundance of this trait. No amount of education will ever change that trait. Unsure
Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 74 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” - Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss

As to rotenone , my guess is that they are getting pressure from groups like PETA and other environmentalists because it kills everything. People who don't understand the dynamics of wildlife management always complain about things they don't understand. Heaven forbid that they do a little research and educate t

?[/quote]This great advise can be applied to many things, ( political, government, ) most criticism comes from " I heard this people) not from informed people.

Just my opinion
Therapist wrote:
As to rotenone , my guess is that they are getting pressure... because it kills everything. People [anglers] who don't understand the dynamics of wildlife management always complain about things they don't understand. Heaven forbid that they do a little research and educate themselves about the process and not make strictly emotional judgments.

I don't think for 1 second that it has to do with PETA. I do, however, believe it has to do with the general ignorance of the public in general.

It's not PETA that has caused issues with getting Boulder Creek treated, but rather the locals in Boulder.

It wasn't PETA that caused problems with getting a treatment approved at Panguitch Lake, but rather it was (again) locals.

It isn't PETA crying about the use of rotenone at Yuba right now -- but rather, it's local anglers.

The ignorance isn't PETA. It's US!

As for Journal articles on the virus -- there sure isn't much credible info on this.

but, heck, let's not use rotenone because we're all scared of chemicals. Let's instead introduce a virus into the wild and let it do it's thing. Makes sense to me!

(seriously, though, it would be nice to see some credible info on this virus.)

Dr. Raymond Stantz

Therapist wrote:

Anyone know where more on this virus can be found ?? Journal articles, reports, etc ??

Here's something from the University of Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/vm/vm11300.pdf

Dr. Raymond Stantz

Labeling a difference of opinion about the use of Rotenone as Ignorance seems a bit lacking in grace, compassion or respect for the opinion of others.
Some enjoy the fact that Redmond and the Sevier drainage, especially Yuba have a population of Northern Pike that supports a 20 fish limit according to UDWR.
Northern Pike seem to have done rather well under the extreme water fluctuations that Yuba experiences.
Yuba? In reply to
I've been hearing a lot of talk that Yuba will be a completely different fishery soon. Go catch some pike because you might not be able to next year!
Re: [Dog-lover] Yuba? In reply to
Yuba doesn't really support a 20 fish limit for pike. The limit is set at 20 to encourage harvest of a predatory fish that can't sustain the current population and the population dynamics. Yuba has seen nothing but boom and bust cycles. The popularity of the fishery follows the same cycles. the UDWR is trying to get a fishery that can be managed. I would much rather see a stable fishery, rather than a boom of pike and then a crash. And rotenone is a much better option than releasing an unmanageable virus into the system.

<{{{{{°>

Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion."
— Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits."
— Albert Einstein
I'm in fountain green. I need more catfish bait and my boys don't care what we catch, they just like fishing. Where at yuba would you recommend I take em so we could catch a mess of carp on worms?

When I grow up, I want to be like Leaky.
I've spent quite a bit of time researching the "carp" herpes virus. The official name is:
Cyprinid herpesvirus 3
If you google Koi herpes you'll see that the herpes already exists in the United States. In fact it has to be reported to the CDC if encountered because it completely wipes out populations of "carp or koi". Those fish that do survive become carriers and pass the herpes on to those that don't anytime the water temp is between 60-80 degrees (roughly). So during the winter months there is no effect on the fish, only when temps reach that 60-80 degree mark. It's quite unique and there have been outbreaks in California that have decimated the carp populations.

The real problem with using the herpes virus is that within 2-3 days of the virus becoming active it wipes out 90%+ of the population of carp. That amount of biomass creates quite a stink.

Here's the wiki link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...prinid_herpesvirus_3

Us National Institute of health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC3294573/

There's a wealth of info on it, too much to add here. Hope that helps.

how much Rotenone would it take to hit the whole Sanpitch and Sevier drainage to get this 90 % or so your talking about??? lol you got to be kidding me.. and then there are some Endangered species there in the Sevier that need to be look after to..

you know i would like to see something done as well but rotenone a 25 mile drainage and all tributaries that link to that drainage and get all the carp? and every thing else.. then like what 20 years ago they will not plant anything back in the drainage so it becomes a carp factory again?????? and thats just the Sanpitch drainage... what about the Sevier????

Ron

Re: [RiverRat77] Yuba? In reply to
RiverRat-- I needed some early season carp meat for bait a couple of years ago so loaded up a couple of kids and went to Yuba. Fished with six feet of line and a piece of crawler off the launch dock at PR and caught a truck load. Might be a no-no to fish from the dock but anywhere near the launch produced carp about as fast as I could unhook them.

Another month and your bow will be the weapon of choice but an early trip to Yuba might hold you over that long. I've seen a lot of carp activity at UL but mostly foreplay for now... no serious loving yet.

Good luck and don't let that carp bait go unused.Wink

BLK
Re: [RiverRat77] Yuba? In reply to
where you are at you got a lot of places to catch carp.. yuba is great.. lot's of carp showing up all over the lake.. painted rock would be my first choice.. but for you there are closer places to fish for carp.. welles res about 5 miles form you has carp. and all the sanpitch from morni to gunison res. right below (west) of manti is full of carp to.. Unimpressed

Ron

I was there on Tuesday this week. breezy and lake temp. at 51*. Fished from boat for 7 hours and not a bite. used crank bait, jerk bait, and twister tail jigs. I saw thousands of large fish on graph. They must have been carp I guess.
> >