Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Big channel cat out of the Jordan River

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing Lockett Lures Outlet fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Big channel cat out of the Jordan River
Hey so Took everyone advice and hit up the river with that advice. I readjusted my drag, Got bigger test, and swivels. Did not use a chumbag so no controversy. Used chicken livers and fished about 6-7 ft from shore. To where I couldnt feel the current tugging my line anymore. Was getting big hits but not hooking any. Finally I felt a slurp and a tug I tugged back and the fight was on it lasted about 5 min I tried everything I could from letting this fish swim into the weeds or to far from me but adjusting the drag really helped. Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate that thanks for reading and check out the pics Couldnt wiegh it you guys let me know what you think it wieghs it was 21 inches long with a big belly. I'm guessing anywhere from 8-10lbs dont yell at me though if im over just guestimating. I was hoping it would be bigger but very good size!!!! Cant complain

Re: [joethafoe] Big channel cat out of the Jordan River In reply to
Got to love the Weight Watchers measuring tape! I have the same one in my box. (insert really unfunny joke about how someone ought to use the damn thing, since we're paying $40.00+ per month!)
---------------
---------------

"I also feel that guides are somewhat of a hoax as far as fishing goes." -- Fin_Addict, a.k.a. Mr. Utah

Re: [TroutBumDave] Big channel cat out of the Jordan River In reply to
wieght watchers? Actually bought the measuring tape at smiths in the lil sowing section for 99 cents

Cool21"...chunky...4.5 to 5# tops.

24" chunky...6-7#.

28 - 29"...chunky...9-10#.

Sounds like real hand to fin combat. Kat-fu.

Re: [TubeDude] Big channel cat out of the Jordan River In reply to
That is how I read the tape TD. Skinny one's are lighter than that on length. Ron

joethafoe wrote:
wieght watchers? Actually bought the measuring tape at smiths in the lil sowing section for 99 cents

Hmmm... Every time my wife decides she wants to flush money down the toilet WW gives her a packet with one of those tapes in it. I thought you were a fellow "pull your hair out when you see the bill" kind of guy. Consider yourself lucky. (for now)
---------------
---------------

"I also feel that guides are somewhat of a hoax as far as fishing goes." -- Fin_Addict, a.k.a. Mr. Utah

it was probably a solid 5 lbs then

Re: [TroutBumDave] Big channel cat out of the Jordan River In reply to
nah man I actually do that to my wife. Not with wieght watchers but with fishing trips. I pull a $30 bill when I only say im just running in to get bait. I'll be like well I needed liver, worms, jigs, new hooks, drinks and snacks ya know and shrug my shoulders. My wife has pushed out three kids in the past 4 years and still has a real good figure. Were the couple people are like what the heck how he get that girl. I'm 31 shes 24

hey TD check out the 4th looks like hes pushing 22inches. i'll take every inch that I can

TD's estimates are dead on. That one looks to be 4-4.5 lbs. I've had a few at 21-22" and all have weighed right there. Here's a pic of an 8 lb cookie cutter at 26". When I was bringing it in I thought for sure it was gonna be a 12 lber. Oh well. I caught this one last weekend, west side of Utah Lake.

Nice catch! I'm new to this forum so it's nice to see how everyone else does it. Here is a 5 pound channel I caught yesterday on Utah lake. It put up a good fight but had plenty of strength to swim away after the pictures.

On a seperate note, within 5 minutes of catching this cat, all of the guys in that boat in the back ground were on shore and fishing within 30 feet of me on either side.
image/jpeg catfish.jpg (195 KB)