Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

Big Brookie Adventure w/ PICS!

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing Lockett Lures Outlet fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
Big Brookie Adventure w/ PICS!
Disclaimer: I don't take pictures as nice as LOAH

Took a little weekend excursion down south. Quality over quantity was the name of the game. It was nice to actually catch some brookies with some size on them, unlike the little pan-fryers I am used to in the Uintas.

Fish down here have so much food. The lake was swarming with scuds and other aquatic insects, worms, leeches, and even young 2-3" trout. Damselflies, moths, ants, midges, etc. were being slurped up on the surface by hungry fish. It was a veritable buffet. A "meat and potatoes" diet like this explains why brookies can get large down here.

Nevertheless, fishing was slow and difficult. Snags galore and many lost lures. Frequent downpours and thunderstorms repeatedly forced us to head for shelter. Some picky fish followed or just bumped the lures. We definitely had to work for each fish. I like to think it was because they were full Smile. Maribou jigs and minnow imitating soft-baits managed to trick the biggest fish, although I did catch one on a kastmaster. I concentrated my efforts working along the aquatic weed lines and sunken logs. The two largest brookies were hens caught by me at first light on the same bank within an hour of each other, and were as long as the tip of my fingers to my elbow. They weighed about 2+ pounds. These ones struck aggressively and fought hard on my light gear.

All but one fish was successfully released, which unfortunately... was hooked something terrible in the gills by a treble hook on the soft-bait. It made for some nice fillets though. We had to cut them in half to fit in our frying pan.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~John Buchan
(This post was edited by RyanCreek on Jul 22, 2012, 8:54 PM)

Re: [RyanCreek] Brookie Adventure w/ PICS! In reply to
Nice trip! Good work getting them to bite, even though they were full.

http://utahwaterlog.blogspot.com/

Re: [LOAH] Big Brookie Adventure w/ PICS! In reply to
Thanks! Sure wish I lived closer. For some these are still small brookies. It pains me knowing that there are S. fontinalis in this state that are much, much bigger... that I have not caught.... yet. Here's hoping!

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~John Buchan
(This post was edited by RyanCreek on Jul 22, 2012, 9:47 PM)

Re: [RyanCreek] Big Brookie Adventure w/ PICS! In reply to
I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking a healthy brookies. Thanks for the post.