Fishing Forum
Skip to Content

Fishing Forum > Utah Fishing Forum : Utah Fishing General >

wax worms vs. meal worms help

Kokanee Fishing Tackle
fishing Lockett Lures Outlet fishing
Report Post | Register to Reply
wax worms vs. meal worms help
I'm new to using any other bait when ice fishing besides the cisco on a kastmaster or jig that I use at bear lake. Now that I live in Logan I go to Mantua to ice fish. I've caught a couple on meal worms but now I'm hearing that some guys think wax worms are the way to go but I don't know the difference.

So my question is what's the difference between wax and meal worms, and where do you get them in logan? I'm pretty cheap and just hit up gas stations and they just have meal worms and nightcrawlers. Any help would be awesome.

Re: [cisco_fish] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
I prefer waxes to meal worms to. They do seem to draw more strikes. If your cheap like me Wink you can get them at Pet Smart in the reptile area in the refrigerator. They sell for 4 bucks or so for 50 of them. There only draw back is that they are not as durable as a meal worm. You'll know why when you see them. I would rather use cut bait to tip a hook..Good luck.Fishin'

I am not familiar with the Logan area, but if there is a wal-mart you can check there for wax worms. The wal-marts down here sell them in a container of 36 for about $3. I don't have much experience with them myself as I have always had good luck with the meal worms which are more durable as already stated. I do plan to try the wax worms though after hearing good things about them.

I have to agree , I have never had very good luck using mealworms for bait. I have always had better luck using waxies. I too prefer to use cut bait on a lot of species, but then that is just my opinion.

i take both i have fished the same spots and one day waxies are the ticket and the next mealies did it one day on echo the perch switched from one to the other from morning to after noon

There is a small store right next to Mantua next to the trailer camping area. They have wax worms, night crawlers, meal worms and spikes. I always use spikes at Mantua. They seem to work best for me. I fish there at least once a week and almost always have good luck.
Nathan Hall

Re: [timberhall] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
Most sportsmans warehouse stores have both, i just picked up a pack of each for 2.49 each for a 50 count i believe.

Re: [timberhall] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
Nathan! When you going to be there again? I've been fishing Hyrum the last couple of weeks, with mixed results. How's Mantua been treating you?

... ><(((*>

My question is: How do you hook a mealworm?????

I hear voices.....
lol they told me a joke

Re: [Walleye_Guy] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
I used to use them whole, but now I use half. It is kinda gross, but...break them in Half and hook them on the hook, follow the conture of the hook. They will ooze out and attract fish. Some cut the heads off and do this, but I think they will hit it if is there oozing out.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river been poisoned, and the last fish been killed, will many realize they cannot eat money."

there's several places around here where you can get worms.

the wal-marts obviously. but if you're like me and enjoy supporting local businesses and not communism you can go to cal ranch or al's I think has some as well.

there's also places you can stop depending on which lake you're headed to. if you go to newton the merc on main street (only store in Newton) has worms. If you're headed south to hyrum or porcupine you can stop at the grocery store in hyrum (they've got a little sporting goods store upstairs) or the maverick in hyrum or the next gas station down the road (forget what it is) also usually carry worms.

as for which kind, I have just as good of luck with one over the other usually. I do agree that mealies hold up alot better. i usually use the whole worm and just perforate it with the tip of the hook as I'm threading it on.

Wink HOOK 'EM AND COOK 'EM Wink

i've only ever used meal worms as well, but people do claim wax worms are better, i don't know myself but i guess if the meal worms haven't failed me yet them i'm good with them (if it ain't broke don't fix it type thing). but as far as getting them in Logan I like to support local business's as much as possible there is a place called round rocks on main and about 6th or 7th south (behing jitters). They are mostly a fly fishing shop but they kinda switched over to ice fishing for the winter.... good luck, hope this helps...

It was an ugly fish, I got a little scared too... (Bill Dauterive; King of the hill)

so i have to eat my own words today. Went up to porcupine today and had nothing hit the meal worm. though my friend was using wax worms was getting hits all day... i finally tried a wax and wouldn't you know it i finally got some hits and one out on the ice...

It was an ugly fish, I got a little scared too... (Bill Dauterive; King of the hill)

Re: [mike_peterson] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
Absolutely, 100% I have better results with wax worms.

At times I will retry the meal worms but there is no comparison IMO.

Just an update on my worm fishing lately. Wax worms have proven to be the winner. I don't know how I ever caught any on the meal worms since I haven't had any bites on it since. Wax worms have been tons better.

yes wax worms will win most times..one tip if the fish get reely finicy go sma;;er jigs with spikes it helps with the vhard to catch one s

What works even better with wax worms is to put a few of the little suckers right inside the lips of your mouth to keep them warm. Makes them wiggle even better.Wink

Re: [FishinFool53] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
FYI we have meal worms wax worms and spikes at Round Rocks. They are cheaper than walmart and all our ice gear is on clearance right now.

Your a Sick man.LOLCool.So thats your secret.

FishinFool53 wrote:
What works even better with wax worms is to put a few of the little suckers right inside the lips of your mouth to keep them warm. Makes them wiggle even better.Wink

CoolJust a pinch between cheek and gum? Actually not a good thing to do while chewing gum. Might ruin some good bait.

cisco_fish wrote:
Just an update on my worm fishing lately. Wax worms have proven to be the winner. I don't know how I ever caught any on the meal worms since I haven't had any bites on it since. Wax worms have been tons better.

What species of fish have you been catching.

“How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.”
-- Steve Maraboli

Re: [kentofnsl] wax worms vs. meal worms help In reply to
So far just trout at mantua. I haven't ventured to other places much.