Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bows????
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I was going to start bow hunting next year, and was wondering if anybosy had any suggestions on a bow. I just want a good reliable bow at a decent price. So far I have been looking at the PSE lineup. I have shot my buddies PSE Bruin a couple of times and have liked the way it felt. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I started bow hunting this year and went with a Hoyt Havotec its a nice bow and I don't really have any complaints but D-mack shoots a Bow-tech and his seams to be about 25' per second faster than mine.
[signature]
I don't know what you are willing to spend but I just got a new Mathews Outback this year, AUSOME BOW. I used to have a PSE Nova but after shooting my friends Mathews I had to get one, they are pricey but woth every penny. Fast, Quiet and Small
[signature]
Don't over look the AR's or the new Browning Illusion. These 2 are probably one of the best bows I have ever shot. You really need to go shoot a few and get the one that fits your hand the best. When you get the right one you will know.
[signature]
I agree with elkaholic. I think most of lines of bows have great lineups. You need to find a bow that fits you not your buddy. Bow speed is nice but shot placement is more important. Find a bow that you are comfortable with and shoot tighter groups with. Sportsmans Archery has a range and a wide selection of bows. They are more than willing to let you shoot the various models and then they can size the bow and arrows to you.
[signature]
There are a lot of great bows out there. I have done a lot of research in the last two years and have found a big difference in bows. For the most part, it is true that the more you spend, the better the bow. Do exactly what these other guys said in actually shoot the bow before you buy it. For my opinion, I narrowed it down to two makers- Mathews and Hoyt. You can't loose with either one. I chose the Mathews LX because I got a good deal on it and I would still stick with it. You would really be doing yourself a huge diservice if you did not go and shoot the '05 Mathews Switchback before you bought anything. I is by far the best bow ever made. Shoot it and I know you will agree. If it is out of your price range there is some other options out there. You can usually pick up some good used bows. Unfortunatley, bows don't hold their value very long, but they are still worth it. Do you know what draw length you need? My LX is a 30" draw length and I am going to be selling it to step into the switchback this year. Send me a pm if you are interested. I also have a few friends that are selling some great bows as well. Wilde Arrow in Layton is where I bought my bow and they have the whole line of Mathews and Hoyt to shoot before you buy. If you are down at Cabelas, talk to Brent Cahoon at the archery counter. He used to manage Wilde Arrow and is a good friend that will not steer you wrong. Tell him I sent you and he will hook you up. Jake
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the info silverslinger. I think that I will go to cabela's and take a look around some more. I really haven't looked that much yet, just been working alot. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Ok guys I have narrowed it down to either the pse vengance or the matthews switchback. What do you guys think? I have yet to shoot either bows, but have heard great reviews about both. I figure I might as well step it up and pay for a great bow, why settle for the other ones.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
No doubt in my mind, Switchback! Jake
[signature]
Hello KS,
I bow hunted for the first time this year and went with the Browning Rage One. I was very happy with the bow and definetly reccomend it.

By the way if you are getting ready to purcahse a bow talk to Donald Beatty at RM Archery, if you mention you heard of him at bigfishtackle.com (or theoutdoorlodge.com) and tell him I said to call he will definetly work with you on price. If you call him he is always very helpful and will offer some great additional advise.

[url "http://www.rmarchery.com"]www.rmarchery.com[/url]

Good luck, I had a blast this year!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I thought I would let you know I'm selling my bow. After doing both hunts I realized I'm just way to A.D.D. to bow hunt. It has everything you could need: release, arrow rest, quiver, sight, about (9) carbon fiber arrows, hard case, broad heads (both fixed and mechanical) and the broad head target block. And a set of real tree camo (2 pants, long sleeve shirt, hoodie)
Its a Hoyt Havotec 30-60# shoots around 295' Per second.
I want $350 Thats a screaming deal for all of this.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Went down to sportsman archery today and shot the swithcback finally. All I can say is WOW! Smooth as a baby's bum! I will most likely be getting that for sure. I still would like to shoot that new hoyt trykon first though. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I personally think that Hoyt makes the best bows on the market today. Kraizee, shoot the new Trykon and decide for yourself. It is very, very quiet and smoother than anything out there. Amazing bow IMO. I've bowhunted over 17 years and tried about everything. Customer service and quality is Hoyt IMO and the only bow I'll ever own.

Also, don't get caught up by hype and speed this and that. Go shoot them and pick the one you feel comfortable with. Hype doesn't hit the vitals at 40 yards with your heart pumping, you do. Any bow out there will work, but you have to practice, practice, practice. All the bells and whistles just add to your confidence so you can make that shot when it counts.

Good luck and enjoy your new bow.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the info fishin4fun. I really wanted to shoot that trykon, but they just sold out a couple days ago. I really want to see what it has to offer, and see if it fits me better than the other ones. So far the only one that felt good has been the switchback. I have shot the pse vengance and the parker phoenix, and the browning illusion also. The only one left is the trykon. After that then I will make my final decision.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]