Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly rods- get 'em cheap
i got 2 fly rods- one's really nice and one's okay. both 5 weight about 9ft. problem is, the tips of both are missing they got snapped off, but only about 3 inches down. wondering if anyone knew how i could fix 'em. if u want to but them i'll sell em real cheap with reels, backing, line, and leaders already on.
Most of the true fly fishing stores (including Cabela's) have rod building supplies. However, that 3" could make a slight difference. Specially if the rod is a tip flex. You can fix it for under $10. You need a tip that will fit and then (the expensive part) epoxy, which you have plenty left over. You might want to see if one of the Fly shops could just put one on for you. Tip has got to be under $2.
The good news is there generally is no thread wraps around the tip.
What make of rods and reels are you talking about?
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there cstorey & welcome to the BFT. Thanks for stopping by the Fly board. How many sections to your rods? If it is a 4 section unit I would be inclined to contact the manufacturer and see if I could get a replacement for the whole tip section. Even though only 3" was broken off you really don't know if there are some hair line fractures further down from the tip. That would jeopardize the intergity of the whole rod.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
they are both rod and reel combos. ones an albright and the other doesn't have a brand name on it.
both are 3 section units
[Sad][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there cstorey - sorry but I think that your avatar is rather gross. I wouldn't be very proud having my son give a demonstration like that in public or no less at home. Would suggest that you change it to something more in keeping with the family values that the BFT is trying to maintain. Hopefully you will agree with our position. Thanks.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
sorry about that dryrod.
[cool][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thank you cstorey. Really appreciate your cooperation.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]By the way what is the model of your Albright rod?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
its a yellowstone series.
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there cstorey - was trying to get some info on your broken rod and came up with this bit of data:[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Jim Murphy started the Redington Rod Company and designed many great rods for them. After Jim sold Redington, he decided to come up with another line of his own rods, which are now called the Albright Rods. Jimmy Albright was a driving force in the early days of saltwater fly fishing and everyone knows the name from his famous Albright knot we use for connecting wire to monofilament.

The new rods would still be made offshore and imported, but the designs would be all new. Jim wanted to concentrate on his success with the utilization of high modulus graphite and fused silicate (what we call Quartz) as a tough exterior finish on his best rods.
[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Apparently they no longer make the Yellowstone series.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
The last time I had a tip put on a rod at Sportsmans Warehouse, I think it cost about 2.50 including the tip. Took the guy about 2 minutes to fix it. I would have done it myself, but couldn't find my glue and didn't want to buy more.

I hate to see a guy give away good equipment over relatively minor damage. I would fix them or get them fixed and try fishing with them. I'm such a hacker with a flyrod, I probably would never know the difference with three inches missing. Once you determine if they fish okay, then worry about replacing the windings and making it look pretty.

Red Dwarf
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A couple good points RedDwarf and thanks for contribution.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]