Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spey vs Switch rods
[#103910]Here is a questions that I have asked before.. what is the difference between a spey rod and a switch rod.. I know both are two handed and both use lines designated by wt in grams.. and not #wt...

here is why I ask this.. a recent article from a fly fishing magazine states that TFO has increased their line of SWITCH rods call the Deer Creek series.. yet, when you go to the TFO site the Deer Creek series is listed as a SPEY rod..

.. is anyone else Confused by this??

MacFly [cool]
[/#103910]
[signature]
All I know is Spey is a HEAVIER LINE weight rod for Steelhead and Salmon, a SWITCH is a long LIGHTER LINE weight rod for float tubing and big rivers.
[signature]
.. as usual sis you know more than me.. [Wink].. but..

what frustrates me is seeing an article that says such and such company has a new line of SWITCH rods and then that companies site describes it as a SPEY rod.. to me that makes things that should not be confusing.. very confusing..

I mean come on.. Im old and Confused anyway.. but dont add to it by mixing up terms that way.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
A switch rod is a spey rod in a lighter, shorter length. They so you can do a double handed spey cast or a single hand cast. Hence the name "switch"
Terry
[signature]
now that makes a lot of sense on the name..

I knew the switch rods were shorter.. but had no idea on the name.. I am sure someone told me that before but I must of forgotten.. :-)

MacFly [cool][cool]
[signature]
I think this is done to market the rod to customers who are not familiar with speys. Its a way to bring them into the expensive world of spey fishing. The switch rods are as stated smaller spey rods. If you actually like and support the company making the rods let them know how confusing it is. Many times the companies making and marketing the rods have little fishing experience. Let them know we need lay mens terms.These rods have a home on steelhead and large trout waters. Now if you buy a spey rod you will need spey flies..not. Does a fish see the fly and say ..hey thats a dry fly on a switch rod?? Not!
If by chance you need a box for flies of this nature, have a look at my fly boxes.
See backing soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
My wife and I just got back from a trip to the Salmon River in New York a few weeks ago. We were early for the salmon run, but it was the only time we could go, so we did. We had a guide for 1 day and he had us using switch rods so we could learn to spey cast. I have to say I was very frustrated and didn't do well. But the rods were nice!!!! Thomas and Thomas 11' 7wt rods with Abel reels.
Spey rods, at least the ones I tried, have a very slow action compared to fly rods. The long length and slow action had me totally off. But it was very interesting. When we got back I got a DVD by Mel Krieger on spey casting. Very good video, made it very clear and understandable. I am wanting a spey rod now. We have several tailrace rivers with no room for backcasting. And I want to start catch stripers in the tailraces.
But at the moment, I'm looking around for a float tube. So the spey rod is coming, just on hold for a bit.
No salmon or steelhead in New York, it was too early, but did catch a few brownies and Shirley caught a rainbow.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there terrysmith if you are going to do float tubing, a 9' rod is about the minimum length I would go with. BTW what kind of tube are you looking to get? [fishin][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Since money is an object.....I am ordering Shirley an FC4 today. I'll keep using my old Hi and Dri while saving for a SFC. I wanted to get her a good tube so I can keep her tubing with me. She loves to fish, but has never been in a tube before.
Then after the SFC it's a spey rod!!!

Well actually I need a new mandolin.

Thanks
Terry
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Ah yes the SFC. Several of us have that particular tube and are quite happy with its performance. I've had mine for over 5 years and it has served me well. When you get your tube let us know for there are several ways to out fit it to carry extra rods. In fact TN2 has a refrig on board for his suds. Yea right.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]LOL [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]BTW terrysmith - I see that you like photography. Are you into wildlife and other forms of nature study? I like capturing all kinds of birds and animals too.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Here is a character that caught my attention in a local regional park a while back. It is a Chinese Swan Goose.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline csg.jpg]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I actually did that recently with TFO... they have a new rod out called the mini magnum .. it struck me as a either a spey or switch rod.. but it is 8' long with a line rating of 300 - 400 grains.. I contacted tfo and it seems the rod is actually a new model for their bluewater series.. but can also be used for close shore fishing in heavy coverage.. it is a blend of graphite and glass is suppose to have a very sensitive tip/touch to it but with a lot of backbone.. I am still finding out more on it..

I asked the same question of the rep from the company.. he said hed call it to the attention of the group in charge of ads and try to get it straightened out.. we will see..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote terrysmith]A switch rod is a spey rod in a lighter, shorter length. They so you can do a double handed spey cast or a single hand cast. Hence the name "switch"
Terry[/quote]

Except they are not always shorter. In fact I see the shorter two handed being the new thing for bass, but a SWITCH can be 12 to 13' long, but they are lighter weight lines for example 4 weight to 6 weight, where spey are more 8 weight and up.
I see great advantages to them for BIG rivers, but I do see they can be problematic in a tube.
Ten footer is about max for me in a tube, but I do like the casting style of the two handed.
Plus I do believe, you can cast regular fly line on a switch whereas Spey is in grains.
[signature]
My shortest Spey rod is a 9' 10wt. It is best for handling some of the heavier flies that I tie. I do have flies in the 1oz range.

I like to use the Boomer line on that one because it allows me to shoot a mile(120 to 150 feet) on a single whip.

With my 13' 6" spey rod, it is barely a 9wt but has much better handling or the 1/2oz or smaller flies while fishing the surfline. I can use "Grained LIne" or just about an intermediateline with a slow sink rate.
[cool]
[signature]
I do love photography. Until a few years ago, I had a business shooting weddings. I'm working on being a musician now. I have a website at bigyellowhammock.com
Didn't want to put it in as a link. I think I need to go in and finish out my profile.
Have a good day.
Terry

Oh, by the way, that's a great shot. I've never seen one of those before.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Thanks terrysmith. I generally bring a camera along on my fishing expeditions. If the fish are not biting I can always find a willing subject to shoot. I use a 300 lens for most of my wildlife shots.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]