Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on flies ??
Hi, found another deal on ebay, flies, gotta have flies.
hoping on or two may be close but for $8.50 shipped, figure the vintage case is cool and useful, gonna need a case. And the flies are supposed to be vintage so might be good for vintage trout.

Comes from Polk City Fla, so bug demographics is probably a factor I figure, maybe can modify but are cool just to have.

Anyone recognize any of these ?? or should I treat them as collectors ?? The case is a Perrine # 66

[inline aafly.JPG]

thanks

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
Hard to tell in the photo, but at a guess I'd say they were bass wet flies.

You're right about one thing, though. The box it worth considerably more than you paid. Probably a lot more than the flies as well.

Good job!

Reminds me, though, of the time this guy brought an old bamboo rod around. Two tips, all in a wooden box. He thought it was real valuable, when, in fact, is was one of those cheap, machine-made outfits that were turned out by the hundreds.

He got a little upset when I told him he could keep the rod, but I'd give him 25 bucks for the box. [Image: happy.gif]

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: dumb.gif] Tried blowing the picture up [no I didn't use TNT] however the pixel distortion made it worse. Appears to be a lot of dries in that assortment.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I can only make out one that seems to be a dry: left side, near the hinge, on the top.

To my tired old eyes the rest seem awfully bushy, and hackles soft, to be drys.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Interesting that you should mention that fly case, for the other night in addition to winning numerous items in a raffle box it included two Perrine cases. a # 60 & 66. No flies but who cares. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I guess we will have to wait until the young eyes to return. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
They look predominantly dry to me also with a couple of wet, a couple nymphs and a WOOLLY WORM
[signature]
Hi Brook, thanks, yeah, I really enjoy ebay, I like setting whatever search to time ends soonest and power study what is due lol.

It may have been buried was just a response to dryrod about line, check out the line I scored today for 20 bucks. Is wt forward I guess, was hoping for opinions, supposed to be a trout, cold water line

[inline a56f_1.JPG]

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
A Woolley worm ?!!? [shocked] , hey I didn't know man. That must have got in with those nymphs lol.

Are old flies any good for fishing, need to go find out what's working in my area, man you can buy new flies on ebay for real cheap too? is there a "you get what you pay for" with flies too I'm sure, thanks for the info.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
BFS, the letters in the lower left corner. You have a Double Taper floating line in a 7 weight. This means you can use it on a 6 or an 8 but designed for a seven weight rod.
Being Double Taper means you essentially got two lines for the price of one. You can use either end. Generally you have 10 to 15 feet of thin shooting line followed by a thicker running line and then reverse at the other end.
Some people even put more backing on and cut the line in half then store the second half. But that leaves you with only 45' of line, so more for streams.

And the flies....I would say you can try them all. I see a Renegade, a Royal Wulff, the pale yellow dry, and that there WOOLLY WORM works everywhere[Wink]
[signature]
Id say you got yourself a couple of good deals there buddy... the flies will get you started... the wulff and the worm should work for just about anything .. and the line..is a good deal.. I dont remember what wt the rod is that you bought but if its a 6 wt you should be okay..

wont be long before you are on the water catching fish.. the only thing you have to do then is post the story and pics when you go out..

as far as your question about flies on ebaby.. you can get some good deals but most of the flies you get will be mass produced.. so some attention to little details may be left out.. the biggest thing that most encounter with these types of flies is that they may unravel with minimal use.. one thing that has been suggested and is probably a good idea to put a drop of head cement on the head before you use them.. since that is the point from which it will most likely unravel this little bit of prevention will save you some frustration later on the water..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Cool !! was hoping may be useful. Sounds like the line was a score as well, just scored some more cheap deals too,, will post, have questions

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
This is getting good [Smile] Just scored a Pflueger #1554 and an antique Bamboo rod too all spooled up as well lol, getting all the line I need here I hope, sounds like my Rio line is some pretty fair stuff, have few more questions yet re. tippet and leader.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there FGD are you talking about the right side of the case middle row 2nd from the bottom is a Royal Wulff? It has all the markings of one but then you have the young eyes that we were waiting for. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
wheres the pictures.. ?? :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
They's in a new "Bamboo and Pfleuger"

BFS [fishin]
[signature]