Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An ounce of prevention.
After talking to a few boat cranks they talked me into changing my water pump impeller. Some of you know I got a motor from my Uncle last fall. It is a Johnson Seahorse 4 hp. Well I ordered a kit and got in all the parts today. I pulled the bottom end off the motor and went at it. After looking things over the "dry rot" the boat cranks thought would be a problem turned out to be a whole lot of nothing over nothing. The Impeller was covered in lube and even though I have about 6 hours on the motor now the lube was still on it. The impeller was in fine shape. But since I was there I went ahead and changed it any way. I didn't change out anything else since I didn't have any wear on the wear plate I left it in and the seal under it. I left the Water tube grommet alone since it also had the OE grease still on it.
I put it together and dropped it in a barrel and ran it for about 1/2 an hour in gear. Everything looks great.

My shop book says to replace the impeller every year. Now that I know how and it won't cost a couple hundred I might change it next year and see what the wear looks like and go from there. Total cost to me including OEM sealer, and grease was under 50 dollars. The impeller kit is 25.00 so I am going to try to just find a impeller for next time. Ron
[signature]
Good job. We too have an older motor. Older but used twice in it's life, so we had to change many things from it sitting so long. The impeller was toast so great idea to change it on a regular schedule.
We also ended up having it re-jetted...what a big difference!
[signature]