Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pheasant hunting
The pheasant hunt is just around the corner, this is one hunt I wait for. Do any of you guys hunt them and where do you go ? I'll be down on utah lake shore some where. later chuck
[signature]
Hey Chuck, is the area you hunt private or public? I usually buy a permit to hunt private land. The good thing about it is they have huns, rabbits and sharp tail grouse in addition to the pheasants.
[signature]
Cache Valley or Box Elder County!!!

I am lucky enough to have a brother in law who's dad has hundreds of acres of river bottom land. Last report was a couple of days ago, he saw 20 roosters in one "herd".

If it is a flock of geese, a murder of crows, aN imperial of larks, etc... What do you call a group of more than 2 pheasants? Is it still a brace?
[signature]
A group of 2 pheasants in Davis county would be called a lie![Wink]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I think 2 or more pheasants in utah would be called a miracle.[Tongue][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I call two roosters a limit.

Rut
[signature]
Curt, it sounds like you might be headed out to howell valley. Have you been out to see if there is anything to hunt? I know that there was a pretty good sized fire in the middle of the unit that probably destroyed some peoples favorite spot. Gshorthair
[signature]
I have seen few around Utah Lake .
Good Luck on your hunt . I haven't hunted in about 25 years . Did see some quail last sunday .
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Where at UL did you see those? I would like to hunt quail, I remember when I lived in California and quail hunted. It was a blast. Shot until my shoulder was bruised, and then kept shooting some more. Lets just say that I could hardly move my arm the next day. Great times.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
It's spitting distance away from private land. some years it's good but the last few have been poor. this year I'm going to hunt until noon and then head down to lincoln beach for the after noon and fish. later chuck
[signature]
I've seen quite a few quail around UT Lake, but they were all in the developed, commercial areas up by I-15.

Rut
[signature]
I have 10 to 20 pheasants every day at my bird feeder. Sometimes in the morning they will all be their together.[cool] My house and about 40 others surround some horse pastures and the pheasants are safe. During the middle of the day I can take my dog and walk the ditch and chase them out. To bad I cant find some public land thats huntable as good as my backyard feeder.
[signature]
They were just off the road to Utah lake State Park , but houses are not to far away .
[signature]
There is a huntable population of quail on the foot hills between Willard and Perry...
Tuff walking but a few covies make it worth it..
Later
Jethro
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I know the pheasant opener was today, but I had to work. I was just wondering if anybody got out and if any birds got bagged.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
My buddy & I went out on public land and my Brittany pointed up four roosters before 9:00 a.m. Seven shots later we had our limits. Found all of them in the thickest, ugliest and wettest cover around. They almost needed scuba gear, althouth with my dog that probably would not have helped their cause anyway. She is a bird machine. Mr. J.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sounds like a good morning in the field with a great dog. Were you hunting down at or by a bird refuge? Ogden Bay maybe. WH2
[signature]
Hit FB yesterday for some duck hunting and while I was coming back with all my stuff loaded up on my decoy dolly walking down the dike I had the biggest roster I've ever seen jump right by me almost made me fall down cause it scared me so bad! but of coarse my gun was loaded with the rest of my stuff[Sad] But I didn't think I needed it cause I already had my limit of ducks.
[signature]
Yeah, at the northern end. Sorry for the late reply. Trying to find more birds. Found one more there on Saturday afternoon and one at Farmington Bay in that ugly stuff there the previous Thursday. Will try up around Willard on Tuesday a.m. Mr. J.
[signature]
I use to hunt that area years ago when I was really into pheasant hunting. If you know the right area, Willard can also be good. The last time I went Pheasant hunting, a couple of years ago, I hunted Howell valley and paid for the permits they have there. It is an hour plus drive and with the price of gas, closer is better but they did have a lot of birds there. Good luck
[signature]