Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pursuit of the Great Outdoors
EAGLE RIVER -- For the past 6 semesters, Northland Pines High School has offered an Outdoor Pursuits class. Students in this class will learn things like snow shoeing, skiing, and today's lesson of ice fishing.

Phy. Ed. Teacher Josh Rhode says, "They learn something new. And anytime I think a kid can learn something new, and hopefully enjoy it, then they'll continue it throughout their lives and it'll be a healthy activity that they can do."

Helping to teach these anglers are members of the Eagle River Guide Services. They have volunteered their time to talk about what they love.

Fishing Guide Yukon Jack says, "The guides help them out. They let them handle the tip ups and set them but it's with direction. Once you do it it's a simple process."

But before they go out and reel in the big one, they need to learn a few things first.

"I'm learning about how to be safe on the ice and some regulations so far. I've only been to two tables" says Junior Nick Athens.

Yukon Jack says when some of these kids try it out for the first time, they're hooked.

Yukon Jack says, "Last summer I had several of the kids that were in my class last year stop me on the street and say 'you know, we've never fished before but we're now fishing not only in the winter, but we're fishing in the summertime too.' And that's really the whole purpose. We're trying to build another generation of fishermen."

And it's the tips they learn today, that help create that new generation of fishermen.

"We have a lot of fun once we do get out on the ice" says Rhode. "And a lot of kids if they haven't done it before, when they catch that first fish, it's pretty fun."

The kids will get to test out their angling skills starting Tuesday. They'll be going out with guides and ice fishing on Silver Lake through Thursday.